Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
Me thinks there is a brick wall in this thread.
Thread dead
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
So basically he is only going to be a millionare instead of a multi-millionare. Man, I feel bad for the kid now.

I will be thinking about his sad situation all night when I go back to work and bust my ass for $19 an hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Wildcat View Post
The point is, this is the NFL draft. They don't cut people breaks because they're "20 year old kids". They also don't pay these guys millions of dollars a year if they can't handle the pressure that comes along with being in the NFL limelight. Especially at the QB position, you don't want a self-centered guy like that.. Not saying he won't mature in the future, but that type of behavior proves to me that he clearly can't compete any time immediately & be successful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendrix1303 View Post
Dome people just aren't cut out for the business..

This isn't college anymore.. Everyone doesn't love you. NfL fans want men. Not boys.
Guys, I completely agree that at the end of the day he is making millions of dollars to play a game. It's difficult to have compassion for someone in that situation.

What I am getting at here is he is obviously disappointed after a very long day being paraded around in front of the NFL world as a lottery pick. Rodgers and Quinn compare strictly in the sense that they too had to sweat it out in front of the cameras while they waited for their phone to ring and their name to be called. We got the chance to get the standard chip on the shoulder "I'll show them" after they were selected.

I'm sure Geno is looking back wishing he said something different. I'm sure when ESPN undoubtedly interviews him tomorrow you will get the same generic response every spurned player gives. It just seems like an overreaction to jump on him and question his leadership over one statement paraphrased by Suzy freaking Kolber.

Dude had a shitty day, even if his worst day doesn't even come close to your best. He still gets his millions and a shot at super stardom. I get that, it's tough to feel bad for a guy who has it so much better than you or I. I'm thankful my worst day isn't getting broadcast to millions of people. I can't tell you how I would react, because I can't run a 4.5 40 yard dash or throw a football 80 yards.

Ultimately I can't put much stock in the comments reported tonight and Geno Smith's future leadership skills or ability to compete. He is pissed off and embarrassed and made a poor statement that reflected both. We can pick it apart and over analyze it, but one poorly chosen comment after a frustrating and disappointing day for the guy isn't going to make or break his career. I'll take saying something stupid after a moment that most of the NFL cringes over (see Quinn and Rodgers) over flunking a drug test, assaulting someone or destroying an NFL combine hotel room any day of the week.
Seanathan297 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #53 (permalink)

"Screw you guys, I'm goin home."
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #54 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKHMERICA View Post
"Screw you guys, I'm goin home."
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanathan297 View Post
Guys, I completely agree that at the end of the day he is making millions of dollars to play a game. It's difficult to have compassion for someone in that situation.

What I am getting at here is he is obviously disappointed after a very long day being paraded around in front of the NFL world as a lottery pick. Rodgers and Quinn compare strictly in the sense that they too had to sweat it out in front of the cameras while they waited for their phone to ring and their name to be called. We got the chance to get the standard chip on the shoulder "I'll show them" after they were selected.

I'm sure Geno is looking back wishing he said something different. I'm sure when ESPN undoubtedly interviews him tomorrow you will get the same generic response every spurned player gives. It just seems like an overreaction to jump on him and question his leadership over one statement paraphrased by Suzy freaking Kolber.

Dude had a shitty day, even if his worst day doesn't even come close to your best. He still gets his millions and a shot at super stardom. I get that, it's tough to feel bad for a guy who has it so much better than you or I. I'm thankful my worst day isn't getting broadcast to millions of people. I can't tell you how I would react, because I can't run a 4.5 40 yard dash or throw a football 80 yards.

Ultimately I can't put much stock in the comments reported tonight and Geno Smith's future leadership skills or ability to compete. He is pissed off and embarrassed and made a poor statement that reflected both. We can pick it apart and over analyze it, but one poorly chosen comment after a frustrating and disappointing day for the guy isn't going to make or break his career. I'll take saying something stupid after a moment that most of the NFL cringes over (see Quinn and Rodgers) over flunking a drug test, assaulting someone or destroying an NFL combine hotel room any day of the week.
This is a great response. I always appreciate a well thought out articulated rebuttal as opposed to the usual "you are a great big doo doo head" responses that we have become accustomed to on this forum. I am picking up what you are putting down, even if I don't whole heartedly agree with your logic.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
Thanks for posting the gif I was too lazy to do it myself
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 AM   #57 (permalink)

Looks like Nolan Nawrocki was right...
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
ssbledsoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 AM   #58 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKHMERICA View Post
Thanks for posting the gif I was too lazy to do it myself
Normally I am at work right now going all Hulk beast mode working so I need to get some of this energy out somehow.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #59 (permalink)

Well, it looks like he's not going home after all.

Geno Smith will attend the draft tonight after all | ProFootballTalk

US Navy - Submarine Service - January 23rd 1985 - January 31st 2009
wcbraun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #60 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbraun View Post

Aww that's cute- the lil guy had some time to cool off.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #61 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

WR I don't care. RB I don't care. CB I don't care.

QB I care.

I wouldn't want this kid as my QB after last night.

This was his problem already leading up to the draft. Every "expert" out there that has met Geno and also met Manuel and Barkley (those 2 specifically) said that EJ and Matt were light years ahead of Geno as far as maturity and the ability to lead. Geno was just a "meh" attitude guy.

Last night showed it. I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Of course he had a change of heart. His agent isn't a idiot - he'll get killed by NFL teams if he didn't come back to the draft to do the "It's just an honor to play in the NFL" schtick that GM's and Owners want to see.

He isn't that good to begin with. Last night his attitude made it worse.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
WR I don't care. RB I don't care. CB I don't care.

QB I care.

I wouldn't want this kid as my QB after last night.

This was his problem already leading up to the draft. Every "expert" out there that has met Geno and also met Manuel and Barkley (those 2 specifically) said that EJ and Matt were light years ahead of Geno as far as maturity and the ability to lead. Geno was just a "meh" attitude guy.

Last night showed it. I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Of course he had a change of heart. His agent isn't a idiot - he'll get killed by NFL teams if he didn't come back to the draft to do the "It's just an honor to play in the NFL" schtick that GM's and Owners want to see.

He isn't that good to begin with. Last night his attitude made it worse.
Pretty much this. Courtney Upshaw toughed it out last year. I'm sure there is a ton of disappointment, but to just up and walk out when the knock on you is you can't handle adversity, it just doesn't look good.

Last edited by bern024; 04-26-2013 at 11:09 AM.
bern024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:

Who cares... Why is this even a story??? He is a whiny little b!$@& primadonna that got his feelings hurt that he didn't get picked first... Boo hoo... Cry me a river... I guess being he was "invited" he thought he had a free first round guarantee... At least I have found the guy I will be rooting for this year to be lit up all season...
superynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #64 (permalink)

Either his Mom or Tony Dungy called him and said listen kid.. That was a poor showing. Get your arse back there and man up.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #65 (permalink)

I think you guys are going a little overboard. The word is that his and his families flights were scheduled to fly out of NY last night and that's why he said he was leaving. But obviously the flight and hotel reservations were changed.

Also, when he walked out of the draft last night, all of the remaining 1st round picks had been made but not yet announced because the Andruzzi speech thing ran long. So he knew that none of the remaining picks were for him and that no one traded back into the first round for him.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you guys are going a little overboard. The word is that his and his families flights were scheduled to fly out of NY last night and that's why he said he was leaving. But obviously the flight and hotel reservations were changed.

Also, when he walked out of the draft last night, all of the remaining 1st round picks had been made but not yet announced because the Andruzzi speech thing ran long. So he knew that none of the remaining picks were for him and that no one traded back into the first round for him.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #67 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Blame the NFL and ESPN for turning this crapfest into a 3 day event.

2 was bad enough

On the plus side he didn't get moslested by Goodell...

Last edited by jlzinck; 04-26-2013 at 11:33 AM.
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #68 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

I thought he did well. I mean at one point ESPN was just drilling him with the camera and he was staring right at it and looking at his phone. I thought he was a stand up guy for showing up anyway after the SI article(one of the most brutal I have read) and others bashing him.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #69 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:

Good thing the Jets didn't draft him then...

That's such a lame excuse - and not true either way - as all these guys fly to whatever team picks them for press conferences. His family (or agent specifically) couldn't be dumb enough to book flights the night of round one when he doesn't know what city to book a flight to.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #70 (permalink)

he lost tens of millions. what do you expect?
gussiethebussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussiethebussie View Post
not that it would have mattered... he would have squandered it all in a few years anyway...
Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussiethebussie View Post
You mean he will actually have to prove himself on the field now instead of just getting that because he would have been a first round pick!?

That's not fair at all!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #73 (permalink)

Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superynaldo View Post
not that it would have mattered... he would have squandered it all in a few years anyway...

Well that was a pretty douchy comment.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Well that was a pretty douchy comment.
douchy, but TRUE...