Blowout Cards Forums
Shop MyLocker.net Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superynaldo View Post
douchy, but TRUE...
Based on what?

US Navy - Submarine Service - January 23rd 1985 - January 31st 2009
wcbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbraun View Post
Based on what?
All the awesome stories I see DAILY, on how ex players are BROKE... even after getting millions to play a GAME... give me a minute, and I will post a list...

here's one list...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/A...photo=31647411

here's another...

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-sho...ruptcy-2012-10

any other questions???
superynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #78 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

Quote:
All the awesome stories I see DAILY, on how ex players are BROKE... even after getting millions to play a GAME... give me a minute, and I will post a list...
what does that have to do with Geno Smith. So you just pick a random player?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler281 View Post
what does that have to do with Geno Smith. So you just pick a random player?
no, just saying the extra millions he supposedly "lost" won't matter... just less to piss away... that's all...
Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussiethebussie View Post
he lost tens of millions. what do you expect?
How can you "lose" something you never had? He failed to receive tens of millions, true, but then so have many of us. Of course, such behavior is hardly a surprise in today's America.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #81 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
How can you "lose" something you never had? He failed to receive tens of millions, true, but then so have many of us. Of course, such behavior is hardly a surprise in today's America.
You should hear how much I lost by not going in the first round last night. It's way more then Geno.
asujbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:

here's one list...

Athletes who went bankrupt

here's another...

A Shocking List Of Athletes Who Have Declared Bankruptcy - Business Insider

any other questions???

Look, I think everyone here gets that you don't like Geno Smith. But to just jump to that conclusion is a little short-sighted.

The second article referenced 57 athletes who lost millions. What about the thousands of athletes who didn't?

Maybe he will blow his money and maybe he won't. Who really knows.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Look, I think everyone here gets that you don't like Geno Smith. But to just jump to that conclusion is a little short-sighted.

The second article referenced 57 athletes who lost millions. What about the thousands of athletes who didn't?

Maybe he will blow his money and maybe he won't. Who really knows.
maybe you are right... maybe he will invest and save his money... and if so, good for him... but I wouldn't bet my money on it... just really floats my boat to see these young punks act like they are owed something... they should just be happy and grateful they even get the shot to have a dream job like playing football for a paycheck... most, if not all of us on here have to go out and get a real job and actually work hard as hell to make pennies compared to their MILLIONS...
Old 04-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #84 (permalink)

I am not gonna read all the responses but i believe that him basically sulking and going home, is not what head coaches/execs, want to see from a franchise player. will it prevent someone from drafting him, probably not, but it still comes off as kinda babyish.

i am sure he has seen how the green room works from previous years, there are always a few that are sitting there pick after pick after pick and everyone is talking about how far your dropping in the draft, its part of the process.

plus, how many teams are really looking for a QB now/in the next 3 years? i can think of like 2, the arizona cardinals and maybe the jaguars/titans/jets if they throw in the towel on gabbert/locker/sanchez.
scotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #85 (permalink)

He Should've done what Manti Teo did: just chilled at home with the fam and just get himself advertised over tv lol. Did anyone else notice how that commercial had Manti in it was aired like every commercial break?
AlphaNOmega06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
maybe you are right... maybe he will invest and save his money... and if so, good for him... but I wouldn't bet my money on it... just really floats my boat to see these young punks act like they are owed something... they should just be happy and grateful they even get the shot to have a dream job like playing football for a paycheck... most, if not all of us on here have to go out and get a real job and actually work hard as hell to make pennies compared to their MILLIONS...
I hear what you're saying and the stories like Vince Young blowing all his money astound me also. But nothing I've ever seen or heard gives any indication that Geno Smith is a "Young Punk".

That doesn't mean he won't blow his money but like I said before, who knows?

I don't think for a moment that he's not grateful that he will be playing in the NFL. However, put yourself in his shoes for a moment. For months prior to the draft, many experts and mock drafts had him going #1 or in the top 5. Even Panini, paraded him out at the Super Bowl as the future #1 pick or 1st QB taken.

Then, leading up to the draft, half the teams who needed QB's pick up guys through FA or trades. Now his pool is getting much smaller and people start turning on him. A couple of big negative articles are written about him and a couple of high profile media people start giving negative reviews of him, every time they're on TV, Jon Gruden being chief among them.

Meanwhile, his agent is still telling him all the right things because it's his job to do that.

Now the draft happens and ESPN either shows him on TV or talks about him every 3 minutes. Every time they go to a commercial or come out of a commercial, there is a promo with him in it. Why do they do this? Because it gets people talking. They did it with Aaron Rodgers. They did it with Brady Quinn. They do it all of the time because that's the nature of their business.

Now, taking all of this into account, is it a little easier to see why he was upset?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
I hear what you're saying and the stories like Vince Young blowing all his money astound me also. But nothing I've ever seen or heard gives any indication that Geno Smith is a "Young Punk".

That doesn't mean he won't blow his money but like I said before, who knows?

I don't think for a moment that he's not grateful that he will be playing in the NFL. However, put yourself in his shoes for a moment. For months prior to the draft, many experts and mock drafts had him going #1 or in the top 5. Even Panini, paraded him out at the Super Bowl as the future #1 pick or 1st QB taken.

Then, leading up to the draft, half the teams who needed QB's pick up guys through FA or trades. Now his pool is getting much smaller and people start turning on him. A couple of big negative articles are written about him and a couple of high profile media people start giving negative reviews of him, every time they're on TV, Jon Gruden being chief among them.

Meanwhile, his agent is still telling him all the right things because it's his job to do that.

Now the draft happens and ESPN either shows him on TV or talks about him every 3 minutes. Every time they go to a commercial or come out of a commercial, there is a promo with him in it. Why do they do this? Because it gets people talking. They did it with Aaron Rodgers. They did it with Brady Quinn. They do it all of the time because that's the nature of their business.

Now, taking all of this into account, is it a little easier to see why he was upset?
upset yes... leaving before the end of round 1 and saying he won't be back for round 2 was a B&*$# move on his part... that is NOT the definition of a LEADER to me... already has composure issues... maybe this smooth move will cost him round 2as well...that is all...
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
upset yes... leaving before the end of round 1 and saying he won't be back for round 2 was a B&*$# move on his part... that is NOT the definition of a LEADER to me... already has composure issues... that is all...
He left before the end of the first round because all of the picks had been made.

The Joe Andruzzi things at the Pats pick went long. By the time Geno Smith left, St. Louis pick at 30, Dallas pick at 31 and Baltimore's pick at 32 had been made but not announced. They still had to insert commercial breaks between every pick but the picks had already been made.

So at that point, he knew the first round was over (even though they were on pick 29) and he wasn't picked. Other potential picks also left but they only showed him.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #89 (permalink)

FYI: Geno is going to be there tonight...announced on ESPN and twitter.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #90 (permalink)

I don't know why he was surprised by not going in the 1st round? Everything I've heard for the last month said if he didn't go to Cleveland or Buffalo he wasn't going to be picked until the 2nd round unless someone traded up to get him. He probably didn't get picked because of the questions about his maturity and now he proved them all right.
BURG9864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURG9864 View Post
I don't know why he was surprised by not going in the 1st round? Everything I've heard for the last month said if he didn't go to Cleveland or Buffalo he wasn't going to be picked until the 2nd round unless someone traded up to get him. He probably didn't get picked because of the questions about his maturity and now he proved them all right.
he's butt hurt because EJ got picked first... here's a thought... PROVE THEM ALL WRONG... AR did it... TB did it... BQ didn't though...
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #92 (permalink)

Manti got invited but said... Naaahhh.

Geno should have done the same.
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #93 (permalink)

lol, are we really questioning someones leadership skills based off a guy staying or not staying in NY for the 2nd round?
WalterAZ31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAZ31 View Post
lol, are we really questioning someones leadership skills based off a guy staying or not staying in NY for the 2nd round?
He was acting like a child the entire time. Head was down after the Browns, turned the opposite way from the camera to face the wall around the middle and left before the draft ended. Attitude is definitely in question after that which translates to leadership
Jim's cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAZ31 View Post
Yep, because being upset is strictly against the rules of being an NFL player, especially one that is in his early 20s. But Rodgers and Quinn were allowed to, dont worry.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's cards View Post
He was acting like a child the entire time. Head was down after the Browns, turned the opposite way from the camera to face the wall around the middle and left before the draft ended. Attitude is definitely in question after that which translates to leadership
not only that, it tests the kids adversity if things aren't going his way. What do you do? Do you adjust and grow from it or do you pout and take your ball and go home? Geno decided to pout, I'm sure someone in his camp told him to reconsider since it wouldn't look good to potential teams interested.

Personally I think he still goes high 2nd round, but it would definitely be one of the red flags that you need to look at
Devi8or is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #97 (permalink)

Jay Cutler makes the cry baby thing work so maybe he does have a chance.
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #98 (permalink)
Axe

I could foresee a definite Randy Moss episode coming up. If he gets the chance he could very well be on a mission to prove every team that didn't take him were idiots, and put up astronomical numbers. Hopefully that's all he would have in common with Moss's career, heh.

Anyways, yeah id say he held out pretty well, better than most would have for sure, and don't blame him one bit for going home.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBurg View Post
Nothing to do with being a leader. I understand.
understand what? that he was always extremely overhyped and overrated, without Austin he would be attrocious...Austin MADE HIM look good.
03supto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
Jesus, the kid is upset, this doesnt show anything about his leadership skills. Youd feel the same way if this happened to you.
taking cues from Cutler, that's always the way...
03supto is offline   Reply With Quote