Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default eBay Buyer question

I had an auction where a bidder with 9 feedback won a card. Amazingly they paid and followed it up with an eBay message stating a different address to send the card to because they forgot to change on PayPal. For some reason this makes me nervous. What would you guys do?
jared6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared6180 View Post
I had an auction where a bidder with 9 feedback won a card. Amazingly they paid and followed it up with an eBay message stating a different address to send the card to because they forgot to change on PayPal. For some reason this makes me nervous. What would you guys do?
tell them to switch paypal address or it will show up at the address on file.
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

DO NOT SEND TO THE NEW ADDRESS. I REPEAT. DO NOT SEND TO THE NEW ADDRESS UNTIL IT IS UPDATED IN PAYPAL. YOU WILL NOT BE COVERED FOR THE TRANSACTION AND WILL BE SCREWED OVER.

Yeah, all caps, I went there.
pejc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I actually had this just happen to me (a buyer who doesn't use Paypal that often). I forgot to change my address after I moved and had to have the seller re-invoice me after I changed my information.
hagrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejc300 View Post
DO NOT SEND TO THE NEW ADDRESS. I REPEAT. DO NOT SEND TO THE NEW ADDRESS UNTIL IT IS UPDATED IN PAYPAL. YOU WILL NOT BE COVERED FOR THE TRANSACTION AND WILL BE SCREWED OVER.

This was my gut feeling. The first odd thing was the 9 feedback. They bid right at the last second so I did not have a chance to cancel it.

I had another bidder on another card with 1 feedback. I doubt I will get paid, and that will tick me off.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just sent them a message. Does ebay take this into consideration when they review my Top Rated Seller status? Will I need to bring it to their attention if this bidder doesn't change address in the next 24 hours?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Just sent them a message. Does ebay take this into consideration when they review my Top Rated Seller status? Will I need to bring it to their attention if this bidder doesn't change address in the next 24 hours?
eBay didn't give a dang about my situation. I lost mine for the month because of this situation. I sent to the address they gave, they claimed they never got it, negged me and 1-stared every DSR.

and boom goes the dynamite...
seahawks4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejc300 View Post

This, DO NOT SEND to anything other than the Paypal address. NEVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks4ever View Post
eBay didn't give a dang about my situation. I lost mine for the month because of this situation. I sent to the address they gave, they claimed they never got it, negged me and 1-stared every DSR.
This is why you DO NOT SEND to anything other than the Paypal address. EVER.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

I recently bought something for a friend and had it shipped to their house. I took me 3 minutes to change my paypal address to his house, pay the invoice and switch it back. On many of my transactions it will let me switch between my PO Box and my residential address on the fly. I would tell him to change the address and make sure its confirmed. If it isnt confirmed you could also not be protected.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

OP, read carefully ...

Even if this happens not to be a scam, and the buyer changes his/her address in PayPal, the situation will not be remedied because the PayPal address for your transaction will remain the same. The only way to make this right is to (1) cancel the transaction, (2) have the buyer change the address in PayPal, and then (3) re-list the item and start the process over again.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
OP, read carefully ...

Even if this happens not to be a scam, and the buyer changes his/her address in PayPal, the situation will not be remedied because the PayPal address for your transaction will remain the same. The only way to make this right is to (1) cancel the transaction, (2) have the buyer change the address in PayPal, and then (3) re-list the item and start the process over again.
So I am supposed to refund the payment, cancel the transaction, relist the item, hope they buy it again? If I was the buyer I would just buy some other card I wanted. If eBay really requires all that then no wonder people are upset with their lack of service. If the payer changes the paypal address to a confirmed address why shouldn't the buyer be protected. Idiotic.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
So I am supposed to refund the payment, cancel the transaction, relist the item, hope they buy it again? If I was the buyer I would just buy some other card I wanted. If eBay really requires all that then no wonder people are upset with their lack of service. If the payer changes the paypal address to a confirmed address why shouldn't the buyer be protected. Idiotic.
Ha ... not saying I disagree, I just know I have had this happen many times, and every time the buyer said "I just corrected my address in PayPal" it did not change the address in the transaction.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

I would send the card -- you are only talking about $10 here. He has only bid on a couple of items so if he is going to all this effort on a $10 scam -- then bless his heart -- he really needs that Bernard Pierce card.

When situations like this happen simply click on the buyers bid history -- if they have a low rating and have bid on 400 items with higher dollar value then that is cause for concern. If they are asking you to send halfway across the country then that is cause for concern -- but a lot of times it is "I simply changed apartments and forgot to update my address" or maybe he had his school address filed with paypal and now he is moving back home for the summer -- maybe he used his girlfriends address to set up his paypal account and now they are split city. There are tons of innocent reasons that addresses are different and very few are nefarious. I would send the card out and not even blink. Now if it were a $1500 card I would want the paypal protection in place. But $10??
Cavaliercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

When my mailplace closed down, I went to another one. I forgot to change the paypal address and only noticed after I hit the "pay" button on paypal.

So it can be a mistake. Granted my feedback is over 11,000, but still, mistakes can potentially happen.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Im in a same situation.. I sold an item on ebay, they paid, i printed label from paypal.. i looked at tracking says "undeliverable to address"... i messaged the guy, he said, heres my new address, we moved yesterday, he said he has no problem paying to reship, but when he gave me his new addy, he didnt put zip and said "you can look up the zip online..huh?" you dont know your new zip?... also, wouldnt you fill out a new address card to forward any mail... if it comes back , i wont send till he corrects his addy in paypal as well.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've purchased items for gifts (birthday, Mother's Day, etc) and asked for the item to be shipped directly to the giftee. I haven't had any problems.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
I've purchased items for gifts (birthday, Mother's Day, etc) and asked for the item to be shipped directly to the giftee. I haven't had any problems.
I must be a big fraidy cat. I know its $10, but its $10 I would like to keep in my pocket. If you don't think $10 is a big deal I want you to send me $10 to cover it if things go south.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
I hope that you contacted the seller first to make sure this is ok before you did that. I am surprised if you have not had someone on ebay decline your payment because of this request. I know myself and most other people will not ship anything to a non-confirmed address, regardless of how much the item costs. If you havent run into this yet you are fortunate all the sellers were cool about it

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I must be a big fraidy cat. I know its $10, but its $10 I would like to keep in my pocket. If you don't think $10 is a big deal I want you to send me $10 to cover it if things go south.
Or you can just get a job and $10 won't be so important to you...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
Or you can just get a job and $10 won't be so important to you...
Why the personal attack. I bring in a good income and I go to school full time. You don't know anything about me. Now go lay my your dish.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Now go lay my your dish

New Blowout meme for 2013
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Why the personal attack. I bring in a good income and I go to school full time. You don't know anything about me. Now go lay my your dish.
Not an attack at all. Someone mentioned that $10 is not a very high risk situation and you then told them to give you the $10 since you can't afford it. I think recommended you get a job since $10 seems so important to you. I was in college in the late 80s and always had $10 to spare. And that $10 today is probably $30. But again, not meant as a personal attack, meant as a good piece of advice for you.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have probably changed 40 addresses in the last couple years and never had a problem. That being said I completely understand I was going to lose if I was being scammed.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
Not an attack at all. Someone mentioned that $10 is not a very high risk situation and you then told them to give you the $10 since you can't afford it. I think recommended you get a job since $10 seems so important to you. I was in college in the late 80s and always had $10 to spare. And that $10 today is probably $30. But again, not meant as a personal attack, meant as a good piece of advice for you.
Just because he has $10 to spare does not mean he wants to risk it or give it away if he doesn't need to. It is the buyers reponsibility to have all of his ducks in a row with Paypal. I would never send to any address other than what is on Paypal either.

I also felt that your comment was an attack and would have reacted the same way that he did. It was rude and dispariging. Don't assume that he does not have the money and or a job just because he is trying to protect himself. He did not say that he "could not afford it", just that he didn't want to lose it if he didn't have to. That was your revisionist response to his reaction. If you wish to light $10 bills on fire and have the financial ability to do so then go right ahead. Don't expect others to do the same.

Last edited by jmscoggin; 04-30-2013 at 02:50 PM.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
Just because he has $10 to spare does not mean he wants to risk it or give it away if he doesn't need to. It is the buyers reponsibility to have all of his ducks in a row with Paypal. I would never send to any address other than what is on Paypal either.

I also felt that your comment was an attack and would have reacted the same way that he did. It was rude and dispariging. Don't assume that he does not have the money and or a job just because he is trying to protect himself. He did not say that he "could not afford it", just that he didn't want to lose it if he didn't have to. That was your revisionist response to his reaction. If you wish to light $10 bills on fire and have the financial ability to do so then go right ahead. Don't expect others to do the same.
But don't ask someone's advice and when they give it to you, say, "you pay the money if it's lost then." Most adults on this message board can afford the $10 risk. It's that simple. With some of the rude stuff that flies on this message board, if I offended with my comment, then some people have some real seriously thin skin and better not even stay here because a lot worse is out there.