Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
jumbogorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,559
Default Shilled like crazy...

eBay.com Item Bid History

Trying to buy a PC item. I saw it and bid 20 bucks on it, and checked again to see it at 40, with about 20 bids in between me and the other bidder. This card sells between 35-45, so the amount isn't the issue. The issue is that the card was shilled to 40 bucks with 6 days left to go.

2012 Panini Limited Trent Richardson Membership Redemption RC Auto SP 25 | eBay
__________________
Life is hard for everyone.
Currently attempting Hunter Renfroe 2014 Platinum Autograph Rainbow.
Baseball PC: Ross Stripling/Nolan Arenado/Ryu Hyun Jin
jumbogorilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Chrisp253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: tacoma, wa
Posts: 3,669
Default

You see what i dont get is why it always seems like when i put an item for auction i get smart guys bidding on it that wait til the last minute and snipe.. But when theres an item i want people just sit there and get bid happy throwing out the majority of the value of the card 3 days prior to auction end.. Or when i have an item on a bin of x and its clearly visible in search and i see a couple guys getting into a bidding war and going over my bin on someone elses copy.. And afterwards when theres obviously a couple who didnt win it that want the card dont searchfor another and bin at less than what they just bid up an item.. Makes zero sense.
Chrisp253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
bigzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 5,989
Default

3600 bids on 1300 items. 0% with this seller.

There are some on this site who admit to bidding like this to give the appearance of a shill.
bigzig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 421
Default

Or he could be using the eBay mobile app or ebay 1-click bidding. He just kept bidding the bid increment until he was the high bidder. Then he was out bid at a later time. Just because someone bids a bunch of times doesn't always mean its shill bidding.
kat_nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 2,108
Send a message via AIM to Jenkinssssss
Default

I hope analysis of any kind is not part of OP's job.
Jenkinssssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Jackg1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,174
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
3600 bids on 1300 items. 0% with this seller.

There are some on this site who admit to bidding like this to give the appearance of a shill.
Seems to be working.
__________________
Official Blowout 2010 Topp Magic Refractor Autograph set collector! STAY AWAY FROM PATCH CARDS! BUCKET: http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jackg1980/ "I trade by common sense not book value"
"No one makes me bleed my own blood"
Jackg1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 6,812
Default

I too have bid like this just because I'm sitting in traffic or bored and wanna see where the high bid is? If I win great if not oh well. It sometimes scares the bidder away because it looks like shilling but in actuality I'm just a dumb*** who likes to waste money.
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,307
Default

i use to bid like this on items. before i learned how to snipe. now if i lose on an item its because i forgot to snipe it.
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
DaveTaplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Gardiner, Me
Posts: 1,207
Default

I don't think it is shill. I have had bidders do this to my listings before. I had one guy bid over 150 times. Really annoying.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisp253 View Post
You see what i dont get is why it always seems like when i put an item for auction i get smart guys bidding on it that wait til the last minute and snipe.. But when theres an item i want people just sit there and get bid happy throwing out the majority of the value of the card 3 days prior to auction end.. Or when i have an item on a bin of x and its clearly visible in search and i see a couple guys getting into a bidding war and going over my bin on someone elses copy.. And afterwards when theres obviously a couple who didnt win it that want the card dont searchfor another and bin at less than what they just bid up an item.. Makes zero sense.
This all day long!
__________________
Basketball: NBA Vets/HOF players
Baseball: Ryne Stanek
Football: Andrew Luck
indyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
peekaboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12,356
Default

Item location:
Watertown, Massachusetts, United States

Ships to:
Worldwide

Security is high here!
__________________
www.ScottRobbins.origamiowl.com/ your special friends will love you!
peekaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Lockdown32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,556
Default

With 13 bid retractions I don't think it's someone trying to make it look like shilling to steal the card. And 0%percentage with the seller doesn't mean anything anymore. People bid on anything and everything to hide percentages. He can easily just bid on a bunch of cards to hide percentages. It might not be someone the seller knows it could be someone trying to pump it up to make a false value for the card, but that is still shill bidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
3600 bids on 1300 items. 0% with this seller.

There are some on this site who admit to bidding like this to give the appearance of a shill.
__________________
Always looking for Brian Urlacher Jumbo patches, autographs and Bears legends and stars!
Lockdown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown32 View Post
With 13 bid retractions I don't think it's someone trying to make it look like shilling to steal the card. And 0%percentage with the seller doesn't mean anything anymore. People bid on anything and everything to hide percentages. He can easily just bid on a bunch of cards to hide percentages. It might not be someone the seller knows it could be someone trying to pump it up to make a false value for the card, but that is still shill bidding.
No, simply bidding up an item is not shill bidding. For it to be shilling fraud, ,conspiracy, or collusion has to be involved.
kat_nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Lockdown32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,556
Default

What do you think bidding up an item to give it a false value is without intent on buying it is? Textbook shill bidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nellie View Post
No, simply bidding up an item is not shill bidding. For it to be shilling fraud, ,conspiracy, or collusion has to be involved.
__________________
Always looking for Brian Urlacher Jumbo patches, autographs and Bears legends and stars!
Lockdown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown32 View Post
What do you think bidding up an item to give it a false value is without intent on buying it is? Textbook shill bidding!
It does not matter. If you are truly an "independent customer" you can bid however you like with any intent you like and it is not shill bidding. Even if it is just to make someone else spend their money or to inflate the price of an item.

Ever watch storage wars?
kat_nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
jumbogorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkinssssss View Post
I hope analysis of any kind is not part of OP's job.
Reverse engineering small motors and magnetic pull rotor gears...so yeah, no analysis there at all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
I don't think it is shill. I have had bidders do this to my listings before. I had one guy bid over 150 times. Really annoying.

Thanks for the opinion. Just frustrating to see on my end...I guess I'll just bust a case of limited hoping for one.
__________________
Life is hard for everyone.
Currently attempting Hunter Renfroe 2014 Platinum Autograph Rainbow.
Baseball PC: Ross Stripling/Nolan Arenado/Ryu Hyun Jin
jumbogorilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
bigzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 5,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown32 View Post
With 13 bid retractions I don't think it's someone trying to make it look like shilling to steal the card. And 0%percentage with the seller doesn't mean anything anymore. People bid on anything and everything to hide percentages. He can easily just bid on a bunch of cards to hide percentages. It might not be someone the seller knows it could be someone trying to pump it up to make a false value for the card, but that is still shill bidding.
Or as mentioned above, it could be someone using one click bid, someone just nibbling away to get a feel for what the max is so he could snipe, or some lonely guy who just likes to bid often.

Point being there is absolutely no proof of anything here. When people scream shill, others automatically assume the seller is in on it (which is what shilling is). Unless there is some proof of shady business a thread should not ne made stirring up the pot. Not liking the way someone bids is not justification to throw out baseless accusations.
bigzig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
jumbogorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
Or as mentioned above, it could be someone using one click bid, someone just nibbling away to get a feel for what the max is so he could snipe, or some lonely guy who just likes to bid often.

Point being there is absolutely no proof of anything here. When people scream shill, others automatically assume the seller is in on it (which is what shilling is). Unless there is some proof of shady business a thread should not ne made stirring up the pot. Not liking the way someone bids is not justification to throw out baseless accusations.
You're absolutely right. I'm sorry if this guy is legit and I'm blowing the whistle to the wrong player.
__________________
Life is hard for everyone.
Currently attempting Hunter Renfroe 2014 Platinum Autograph Rainbow.
Baseball PC: Ross Stripling/Nolan Arenado/Ryu Hyun Jin
jumbogorilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
bigzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 5,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbogorilla View Post
You're absolutely right. I'm sorry if this guy is legit and I'm blowing the whistle to the wrong player.
I understand the frustration behind seeing bidding like this. I used to do the same thing. There is just a lot more to look at than 1 guy bidding 5+ times on one auction.

It's not you personally. It just happens way to much on here. Next time I would suggest instead of having your title be "shilled like crazy" make it "does this bidding look funny" if you aren't for sure.
bigzig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
jrm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GA and FL
Posts: 241
Default

lol It is funny because this has just happen to me with this item here
LeSean McCoy Signed Autographed Philadelphia Eagles White Jersey JSA Witness | eBay

The guy who won the auction has a zero rating and when I clicked on his name he has bid with the same guy over and over.

Bidding Details

Ebay needs to put a stop to this crap which I know will never happen, but if you dont want to sell something for cheaper then what it is worth then put a reserve on it.
__________________
LOOKING FOR DAMARIS JOHNSON ROOKIE CARDS AUTO AND NON AUTO
jrm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,982
Default

His method has worked because he has successfully got you not to bid...that's the whole point.
pejc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Lockdown32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,556
Default

Yes and when you go to a storage auction once you make a bid you cannot retract it. So your comparison to ebay doesn't work!


Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nellie View Post
It does not matter. If you are truly an "independent customer" you can bid however you like with any intent you like and it is not shill bidding. Even if it is just to make someone else spend their money or to inflate the price of an item.

Ever watch storage wars?
He is one click bidding up to $40 bucks on the first day so he can slip on in and snipe it 5 days from now. Nibbling away. 20 some bids is nibbling. Really? I see someone doing this with a day or a few hours left, but not on the first day and not to the extent that it was done. For you to say he has absolutely no proof of a possible shill is way off. Even if they guy had 90% of his bids with the seller for all we know he could be a loyal buyer as so many like to think. There is never proof because the only people who have the actual power to see that is ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
Or as mentioned above, it could be someone using one click bid, someone just nibbling away to get a feel for what the max is so he could snipe, or some lonely guy who just likes to bid often.

Point being there is absolutely no proof of anything here. When people scream shill, others automatically assume the seller is in on it (which is what shilling is). Unless there is some proof of shady business a thread should not ne made stirring up the pot. Not liking the way someone bids is not justification to throw out baseless accusations.
__________________
Always looking for Brian Urlacher Jumbo patches, autographs and Bears legends and stars!
Lockdown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown32 View Post
Yes and when you go to a storage auction once you make a bid you cannot retract it. So your comparison to ebay doesn't work!
It is not allowed on eBay either. It is against eBay policy. If someone retracts a bid using a bogus reason the seller needs to report the buyer.

eBay bid retraction policy


The bottom line is anytime someone sees a bunch of bids by the same used id its always shill bidding and 99.9% of the time they are wrong.
kat_nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
jrm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GA and FL
Posts: 241
Default

Yeah but the one I put up there the guys has a zero and all of his bidding was done with the same seller, sorry but seems a little off to me.
__________________
LOOKING FOR DAMARIS JOHNSON ROOKIE CARDS AUTO AND NON AUTO
jrm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
bigzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 5,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm79 View Post
Yeah but the one I put up there the guys has a zero and all of his bidding was done with the same seller, sorry but seems a little off to me.
Definitely
bigzig is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.