Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How Disingenuous is the Rookie Premiere thats going on now???

Does anyone else find it pretty much a sham what is going on this week at the Rookie Premiere in LA in regards to what players sign, more specifically in regards to memorabilia for the sake of making patch cards??? While it's a cool thing and I understand why the NFLPA has players do mass signings for the companies there, how and the hell is it cool that they try on a jersey or a pair of gloves for 2 seconds, then take that off, put on another one, and then repeat until they have done this tens of times so that the companies can then say.....oh this is "used" memorabilia.

WTF??? That is such a sham and blatant disregard for using a technicality. I just find that to be completely disrespectful to collectors everywhere. Panini is the worst offender. They blatantly have complete disregard for the industry IMO. If it's not this, it's selling high end premium products, but having the hits in the boxes be of 7th rd picks or 5th rd linemen. I mean seriously, I realize there cant but an Andrew Luck or an RG3 in every box, but if you are paying $100+ for a box of cards and the hits are people like Tim Benford and Daniel Herron, give me a break.

I know, I know, if you dont like it then you dont have to buy it, but Panini really sickens me when they blast things like the Rookie Premiere all over the Twitter feeds, when they are literally having a player put a jersey on, walk 10 yards and turn around and come back and then have them put on another.....then go put that in high end products and call it game jersey patches. Give me a break.

Was wondering if I was just a whiny brat, or if others out there felt the same way?
Edmond Dantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well I guess it's better than manufactured patches.
Frankp2311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Event worn, not game anymore for most products.
Coventry6546 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Why do they bother? If it's not worn in a game, nobody cares.
antrodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
going on now
and for the past 10 years
Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrodemus View Post
Obviously collectors do yet they still buy the products.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have pretty much quit getting patch/jersey cards. Could be because I actually just prefer a clean card (e.g. Bowman baseball). Only way I get a patch/jersey card is if I want the player, it's never about the material. Just my thought process.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Disingenuous

I like it. I like it so much that I started this post without reading what your thread was. My stupid brain does that sometimes.

I think the great philosopher, Ron White, said it best, "I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the ability".
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Certainly not breaking news, but it still makes me wonder why people continue to go ga-ga over 'sick' or logo patches when they know this is how things go.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Its more or less been ruined in the past 7 years. Originally, the rookie premiere was cool as heck. GREAT option to get GREAT players in NFL uni. TONS of cool photo ops too. In 2000, UD decided, with all the hype about GU'd jerseys, to cut up the few jerseys they used at the photo shoot. It was a fun idea that was copy catted, but it wasn't until 2001 SPA included patch RCs that it truly caught fire. As companies needed more and more patches to keep up with the demand that THE ONLY RC's worth money are auto patch RC's, the items became less and less personal and the patches on the jerseys became more and more crazy. Pretty much, too much of a good thing killed a good thing.
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
They line up like sheep... In droves...

superynaldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrodemus View Post
Quote:
It just happens to be included in the product they would buy anyway. Outside of a game, what's the difference between wearing it and just touching it?

Now if it was worn while arrested....
Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

To me, the patch is nothing more then a design component of the card now. People will pay a premium for multi color, logos, seams, and the number of breaks...etc. Just like people that will pay more for a 1/999 or a 999/999...etc. At least the players touched it or had it on at some point and the companies aren't just manufacturing or purchasing retail. I also think this argument gets interesting when patch fakers come up. Sure, its morally wrong to sell or trade a faked product, but if so many people can't stand "event" worn, they why should it matter if Panini or Topps places a patch with no value on a card or John For.
Coventry6546 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coventry6546 View Post
To me, the patch is nothing more then a design component of the card now. People will pay a premium for multi color, logos, seams, and the number of breaks...etc. Just like people that will pay more for a 1/999 or a 999/999...etc. At least the players touched it or had it on at some point and the companies aren't just manufacturing or purchasing retail. I also think this argument gets interesting when patch fakers come up. Sure, its morally wrong to sell or trade a faked product, but if so many people can't stand "event" worn, they why should it matter if Panini or Topps places a patch with no value on a card or John For.
The fakes look & sell better. And they're rightside up.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

I used to think it was really cool...all the different photo stations, effects, etc. Do they even do it at the Rose Bowl anymore? Now if you look at the pictures Topps and Panini have shared, it's like they lock them in a hotel room for a few days.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

I think they do it at the Coliseum.
Edmond Dantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

IN THIS THREAD: People who are angry and have not come to understand what the rookie premiere has been over the last decade, but fail to see that Panini and Topps have used 20 to 40 logo patches per player for the same span of time. No matter that the player never made it onto the field, or that there are only 5-10 game used jerseys per player available.

HEY, EVERYONE, listen up! There are GARBAGE BAGS full of jerseys that are worn for a matter of seconds that are taken home by the companies each year at this event. This is not speculation, it is fact.

Believe it or not, THIS IS NOT BREAKING NEWS.

This is a hobby built on swatches - as everyone assigns more value to cards that have crazy logos. As long as this is the case, the Premiere will continue as is. Next time you buy an RGIII logo NT patch for 10x what the one color goes for, you are contributing to this problem.

Is it an ideal situation? No. Is it disingenuous? Yes. Is it worth getting all freaked out over? NO! Just keep it at the back of your mind when you buy a card. Check my photobucket - I dont own a single rookie swatch card that doesnt have an autograph on it. I dont find value in the non-signed cards, and I encourage you to do the same.

My Cordarrelle Patterson Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/cordarrelle-patterson

Last edited by deltapi1049; 05-17-2013 at 08:37 AM.
deltapi1049 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dvlosky

I know these have been shown many times but yeah....it is pretty messed up

My Stuff: http://vloskyscollectibles.ecrater.com/
dvlosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Exactly

They're not going to change what they do when people still buy their products like crazy
Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #20 (permalink)

the thing is, it works....... and as long as "IT WORKS" they will continue to do it, they had to find ways to meet the demand of the products people buy so they had to do things like this & cut corners, to me you can always identify what type of thing you choose to collect, if your not happy with the way they do biz don't buy that particular product, maybe pick up a nice game used jersey or something of your favorite player......
Collecting Carlos Correa / Byron Buxton / Manny Machado / Bryce Harper / Mark Appel / Kris Bryant (lower end stuff & bgs slabs) Basketball: Blake Griffin / Derrick Rose / Paul George / Damian Lillard Football: Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson
Qwasian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlosky View Post

Still think those pictures are a good thing, because most of the time, they dont even put the jersey all the way on. They just slip it onto their neck and then take it off. At least with these, he wore the jerseys for a few minutes!

My Cordarrelle Patterson Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/cordarrelle-patterson
deltapi1049 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #22 (permalink)

yeah, i'm not a fan of it either. i'm sticking to collecting contenders, chrome, and products without event-worn material.
patchgenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coventry6546 View Post
Event worn, not game anymore for most products.
Only reason why jerseys arent worth much anymore.
Brandon2598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Im ashamed of all of the rookie primere is always a shame.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlosky View Post

Is he wearing alot of jerseys? Looks like he is