Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The 41st Annual Washington State Sports Collectors Convention

Anyone going this weekend?

Saturday, June 1: 9 to 5 PM
Sunday, June 2: 9 to 3 PM
MERIDIAN PARK SCHOOL
IN SHORELINE

Anyone have any requests ? I'll be going on Saturday for a few hours. Feel free to PM me if you want me to look for something.
trixstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm going to stop by on Saturday with my 5 year old son....
Old 05-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

pm sent to you.
03supto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I will be there Saturday
mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Didnt even know about this! Yeah ill swing by look for some Earl Thomas and rare Hawks. I live in Greenwood this is 10 min away of that.

Follow me @SquirelThomas. Or dont.
Grza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe we could get enough guys together from the forums and run a little group break while we are there? Would anyone be interested?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

What a massive disappointment. Feel like everyone's grandpa showed up with their 1940 vintage.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
What a massive disappointment. Feel like everyone's grandpa showed up with their 1940 vintage.
I like these shows better

Home Page
Old 06-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
ha! agreed. everyone was really nice to my kid and he got lots of "freebies," but absolutely nothing I was interested in at all.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

TOTALLY agree. Wasted two bucks. Gave away a card to some snot nosed kid who said he collected Rays autos and burned a quarter tank of gas. All to see vintage cards.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa View Post
TOTALLY agree. Wasted two bucks. Gave away a card to some snot nosed kid who said he collected Rays autos and burned a quarter tank of gas. All to see vintage cards.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

You guys should try to move this for me there for $200

lrudometkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah I went today...what a joke...I bought a couple things but not because I wanted them...because I spent 100 in gas and figured I needed to leave with something...You know I looked at the pictures from previous ones and I was like eww....and boy was I right...do those guys even want to sell their cards? A bunch of old timers who are clueless as to the current industry. In the event they had something I wanted It was 8X Ebay highest going rate. Kept hearing book value, book value book value...lol...I haven't even looked at a Beckett let alone bought one since the 90's.
doctorjd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yea I was just shaking my head as I walked around and saw guys checking book value and putting those prices on their cards.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

I actually had one of the dealers tell me to come back Sunday for even better deals...I looked at him and said "really?...you mean today you can't offer me a good deal so I have to drive across state tomorrow for more overpriced crap"...lol never again my friends, never again. And to think these guys paid 100 to set up a table. Anyone see the guy up on stage to the right selling that garbage. Looked like he picked up some cards at the good will and put them up for sale.
doctorjd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjd23 View Post
I actually had one of the dealers tell me to come back Sunday for even better deals...I looked at him and said "really?...you mean today you can't offer me a good deal so I have to drive across state tomorrow for more overpriced crap"...lol never again my friends, never again. And to think these guys paid 100 to set up a table. Anyone see the guy up on stage to the right selling that garbage. Looked like he picked up some cards at the good will and put them up for sale.
The one with boxes of 1991 fleer football for 7.50? Almost bought one so I could at least go home with something. LOL
Old 06-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

I miss the big shows at the Tacoma dome.Glad I didn't drive four hours for that show.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

Was it really that bad?
I was thinking about going Sunday. I went to one of their shows last year, which they advertise as big on "vintage", and probably 75% of their dealers carry that old stuff. I'm still interested in 70's-era stuff, but if it's much older than that, I find it meh.

What irks me more than "book value" is when a dealer adds up the book price (using the big book with premiums for semi-semi-semistars and the like) for a stack of cards that may not be in pristine condition, asks for 30-40% of that value, like it's a steal, although the price guide even says the value is for Near Mint condition. And that vintage-era unslabbed stuff, especially from part-time dealers like the ones at the show, is very rarely in Near Mint condition.

Maybe I'll save up my money for a Blowout shopping spree.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

Lol glad i had stuff to do. Hopefully a few of you brought some real cards to show the old timers. I thought it sounded a lil shady being at a middleschool
Chrisp253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #20 (permalink)

Makes me think that we should get something going... Maybe we get together next time and have a shared Blowout Forums table. Even if we didn't sell anything, at least we'd have a table of some good stuff for people to look at!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisp253 View Post
Lol glad i had stuff to do. Hopefully a few of you brought some real cards to show the old timers. I thought it sounded a lil shady being at a middleschool
I always go to the shows, Twin oaks is the guy who hosts it i think. Most dealers their are still using book value so i stopped going because people were all over my basketball cards but wanted me to sell my cards at ebay prices but when i wanted one of their cards it was book value. I stopped setting up a table due to no one is interested in basketball, its mostly baseball and football and if you are looking for dangerrus its 3 times ebay. i had a guy try to sell me a rookie and stars auto of russell wilson for 150. i laughed and walked away. When i brought one of my contenders auto a guy offer 200 said thats what they go for on ebay. Lol
sals_cardz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncluett View Post
Makes me think that we should get something going... Maybe we get together next time and have a shared Blowout Forums table. Even if we didn't sell anything, at least we'd have a table of some good stuff for people to look at!
Im down with that idea
Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sals_cardz View Post
I always go to the shows, Twin oaks is the guy who hosts it i think. Most dealers their are still using book value so i stopped going because people were all over my basketball cards but wanted me to sell my cards at ebay prices but when i wanted one of their cards it was book value. I stopped setting up a table due to no one is interested in basketball, its mostly baseball and football and if you are looking for dangerrus its 3 times ebay. i had a guy try to sell me a rookie and stars auto of russell wilson for 150. i laughed and walked away. When i brought one of my contenders auto a guy offer 200 said thats what they go for on ebay. Lol
The twin oaks shows are different. Seems like those have more modern cards with a smaller percent of vintage. This one is put on by the wssca. Most of those guys are old timers. But I do like the ones put on by twin oaks. The shoreline and factoria ones seem to both be decent
Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
The twin oaks shows are different. Seems like those have more modern cards with a smaller percent of vintage. This one is put on by the wssca. Most of those guys are old timers. But I do like the ones put on by twin oaks. The shoreline and factoria ones seem to both be decent
Oh I didn't know yea the twin oaks guys are nice tho some are still stuck in the Book value age. glad I didn't waste my gas to go to this one. Last twin oaks shows i went to a guy had an ungraded jordan he wanted over 600 for it or else i would have bought it.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

It's too bad when events like this are such a let down. Last time I went to a show, I think I was about 10 or 11. It was at the kingdome. I don't remember too much, but there was a ton of people there. I'd love to have a chance to go to one one of these days, but I live too far away from where one would be held.