Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/17/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default When and to what company does the NFL go exclusive?

Its becoming increasingly clear that cards will be going the "exclusivity" route for the long term. Rather than threads about Upper Deck getting back their NFL license we're more likely to see either Panini or Topps lose their license due to an exclusivity license. Topps has the MLB until 2020 and Panini has longterm with NBA. Who do you think secures the first longterm NFL exclusive contract?

Is it good for the hobby?

Does it hurt product quality?

If Upper Deck secures long term of NCAA do we lose Press, Sage, and Leaf in the football world?

I think companies are securing long term contracts for the obvious reason of knocking out competition, that way the company can cut down on ptoduct research and development costs, and increase product price. Its not a question if a company will secure an exclusive NFL license, but when. I expect it to be Topps within the next 2 years. Panini has a huge investment into NBA licensing and a huge return, relative to Topps who likely has to invest far less in the MLB. If the NCAA goes long term with Upper Deck, I expect Press Pass, Leaf, and Sage to ultimately be phased out from football. What are your thoughts and ideas?
rbb147 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

ummmmmm, Leaf, press pass and sage have been producing card without a license for years, they aren't going anywhere regardless of what happens with an NFL license or NCAA license.
BLOWOUT CARDS' #1 CLEMSON's SUPERCOLLECTOR
Collecting for 2013: Deandre Hopkins, Andre Ellington, Mallachia Goodman, Brandon Ford
Collecting for 2012: Andre Branch, Dwayne Allen, Brandon Thompson, Coty Sensabaugh
my collection: https://sites.google.com/site/clemsoncards/
motown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Upper Deck has cash flow problems. I don't see how they could possibly offer a competitive bid.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motown View Post
ummmmmm, Leaf, press pass and sage have been producing card without a license for years, they aren't going anywhere regardless of what happens with an NFL license or NCAA license.
I wouldn't say years, just the third year now. I have thought it to be more of a survive in the sport in hopes of getting NCAA licensing rights in the future. I think atleast one of the companies goes an unlicensed multisport product (like ud world of sports).
Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't see the NFL giving an exclusive deal to anyone. They are the greediest/savviest sport and it makes sense that they would think like this: "Why get paid by one company for licensing fees when we can overcharge TWO companies for licensing fees? By the way, hey NFLPA you can overcharge both companies too!" I could be wrong here but that's how I see them approaching the situation. I also think the NFL may look at having two companies produce cards as twice as much exposure. Does anyone think that one company could offer enough money for an exclusive deal that would exceed what the NFL is getting for the combined deals right now?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

As long as its not Panini that gets an exclusive license it don't really care. They have some of the UGLIEST cards ever.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think Sage may bow out of the market sometime soon. Who the heck buys Sage anyway? They usually have the ugliest designs and their autos aren't on-card like Leaf and Press Pass. I don't see NFL going exclusive though. I wouldn't be completely opposed to Topps getting an exclusive NFL license, but I think it would be disastrous if Panini did.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/drew306
drew306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioU View Post
I don't see the NFL giving an exclusive deal to anyone. They are the greediest/savviest sport and it makes sense that they would think like this: "Why get paid by one company for licensing fees when we can overcharge TWO companies for licensing fees? By the way, hey NFLPA you can overcharge both companies too!" I could be wrong here but that's how I see them approaching the situation. I also think the NFL may look at having two companies produce cards as twice as much exposure. Does anyone think that one company could offer enough money for an exclusive deal that would exceed what the NFL is getting for the combined deals right now?
True, but what about the parallel with football video games? Many consider NFL 2k5 their favorite football game even today. Unfortunately it was sold new for $20, EA didn't like it, and now we have one NFL title each year.

Different industry, though it is a strong example of exclusivity deals regarding the NFL.
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyOfNone View Post
True, but what about the parallel with football video games? Many consider NFL 2k5 their favorite football game even today. Unfortunately it was sold new for $20, EA didn't like it, and now we have one NFL title each year.

Different industry, though it is a strong example of exclusivity deals regarding the NFL.
Card companies wouldn't be able to come remotely close to the kind of offer EA would have had to give to get those exclusive rights.

EA could probably buy both card companies outright 10 times over with the loose change in their couches
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Card companies wouldn't be able to come remotely close to the kind of offer EA would have had to give to get those exclusive rights.

EA could probably buy both card companies outright 10 times over with the loose change in their couches
Guess I underestimated the money EA put into locking up the NFL. Wikipedia suggests the first 5 years of Madden exclusivity came at a cost of around $300 million.

But to simply answer the initial question, competition is always good. It'd be terrible if either Panini or Topps had exclusive rights to the NFL.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyOfNone View Post
Guess I underestimated the money EA put into locking up the NFL. Wikipedia suggests the first 5 years of Madden exclusivity came at a cost of around $300 million.

But to simply answer the initial question, competition is always good. It'd be terrible if either Panini or Topps had exclusive rights to the NFL.
You must remember, the bid process is the competition and winning it grants the purchaser exclusivity.

The competition isn't week to week or month to month, but during the bid/proposal process.

Could we see a joint operation? In other sectors we often see smaller companies create a short-term corporation in order to compete for larger contracts.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Please...topps sucks. They can't even put out a quality high End product that competes w national treasures. 5 star is fair at best. Chrome is way overhyped and every year they put out about 18 new products we never hear from again. And redemptions...

Honestly wish it was upper deck and panini. Base upper deck, sp authentic and artifacts. Panini national treasures, elite and prestige. And if topps stuck around, topps, topps chrome and stadium club. All the brands we really need.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Personally hope this never happens. We need more card variety, competition is good for any industry. We just need the card companies to scale back and slow down from doing a new release a month. Should be 4 releases per card company a year.

Topps
Chrome
Five Star
Supreme
Finest

Panini
National Treasures
Contenders
Certified
Rookies and Stars

Let the rest of it go imo

Damn The Hard Times. Enjoy The Good Times!
addicted36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Exclusivity is bad for the hobby, makes the companies feel like they can release anything and we will buy it.
TheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

If the NFL goes exclusive like the NBA that's when I am done. Panini's basketball releases are god awful. If there's no competition then everyone loses.
trixstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
You must remember, the bid process is the competition and winning it grants the purchaser exclusivity.

The competition isn't week to week or month to month, but during the bid/proposal process.

Could we see a joint operation? In other sectors we often see smaller companies create a short-term corporation in order to compete for larger contracts.
the competition being referred to here is the competition with having multiple licensed companies, which is good to have more choices. Topps and Panini have ruined this in 2 sports already, I hope it doesn't happen in football also,
Old 06-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBurg View Post
Exclusivity is bad for the hobby, makes the companies feel like they can release anything and we will buy it.
And the companies are right. If you don't believe me, just cruise the basketball breaks sometime and check out the crap being dumped on those poor collectors...who are eating it all up.

I refuse to drink the exclusivity Kool-Aid, a dearth of competition is bad for everyone except the league collecting the fees. Companies stop being creative and produce lazy cash-grab products, retailers get stuck with crappy products clogging their shelves and collecting dust, secondary market prices bottom out, and collectors can't do anything about it for years except speak with their wallets. Again, for proof, look no further than 12-13 Panini NBA products.

There's a reason that anti-monopoly laws exist, and what are exclusivity deals but sanctioned monopolies? In order to keep manufacturers creative and on their toes, retailers earning profits, and secondary market prices out of the toilet, ongoing and significant competition is a must.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Those who think it won't happen, because the NFL is greedy, think again. The NFL would make more money by accepting an exclusivity contract. It is exactly what happened with the NBA (1,000x more greedy than NFL) and MLB. A company goes into private negotiations with the league for exclusive rights and offers what the other company pays and possibly a premium on top of that. In exchange the league retains their same amount of money while cutting down on the complications of having to distribute money among the NFLPA from multiple sources, and having to monitor and accept product releases from multiple companies. In return the card company gains a monopoly, that decreases their cost and increases profits over a period of 10 years.

Panini is worth over a billion dollars and offered HUGE undisclosed amounts of money for the rights to the NBA. Topps is worth MUCH less, but actually secured the rights to MLB not because of money, but because of the promise of increasing production and making the product more affordable for kids. The MLB was afraid that the card industry was dead for baseball and needed revitalized so TOPPS promised a huge increase in retail products and more affordable products in return for exclusive rights. Find and read the TOPPS/MLB contract online, its funny to read

It will happen with the NFL, I just hope its TOPPS who gets it, because PANINI is seriously going down hill even with NT. I too wish it would be Upper Deck to take exclusive NFL rights, but I wish the same thing for all sports. They have always been the best looking product, but it is unlikely to happen. Upper Deck has focused more on product development and securing rights to big name players like Michael Jordan and it simply doesn't give them the capital to invest in licensing professional sports.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

if any company would get exclusive rights hopefully topps would get it their cards are way nicer and simple panini has some nice ones but they overdue some of the designs too much writing and some ugly designs that's just my opinion
broncofan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Topps now took exclusive rights to MLS cards. There is supposedly talk that companies are vieing for NFL exclusive rights. Leaf twitter battle over hoping a legal point gets raised of professional sports banning the use of any game images outside of the company that holds exclusive license.

Might be an interesting Nationals this year, if not industry summit next year.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan92 View Post
if any company would get exclusive rights hopefully topps would get it their cards are way nicer and simple panini has some nice ones but they overdue some of the designs too much writing and some ugly designs that's just my opinion
Topps overdoes things just as much. How many rainbow, refractor, x-fractor, contractor, retractor, products do we really need. Hears Topps, lets repeat it again but make it shinier and call it Chrome. They'll eat it up!!!
Schocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schocktown View Post
Topps overdoes things just as much. How many rainbow, refractor, x-fractor, contractor, retractor, products do we really need. Hears Topps, lets repeat it again but make it shinier and call it Chrome. They'll eat it up!!!
muahahaha agreeed. Still like them better than panini, but the prices of topps chrome superfractors vs finest and platinum has no logic.

@scoobycub on twitter, interesting debate brewed today with leaf and some other person (maybe company). I definitely agree with leaf on it.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbb147 View Post
muahahaha agreeed. Still like them better than panini, but the prices of topps chrome superfractors vs finest and platinum has no logic.

@scoobycub on twitter, interesting debate brewed today with leaf and some other person (maybe company). I definitely agree with leaf on it.
My only guess with Finest is the number of Superfractors for each player: Base, Jumbo Relic, Patch Auto, Finest Moments, Atomic Rookie, etc...

Yet Chrome is cheaper per box and doesn't have /1500s flying everywhere like the other two products. Confusing.
Looking for good deals on RC autos from: Terrance Williams, Bernard Pierce, Rueben Randle, Ryan Tannehill, Kendall Wright, Justin Blackmon, Ryan Nassib, etc...(Not usually interested in the super low end.)