Blowout Cards Forums
Sport Card Album

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Panini America Begins Writing Masterpiece for 2013 Playbook Football (Sneak Peek)

Panini America Begins Writing Masterpiece for 2013 Playbook Football (Sneak Peek)
Jul 9th 2013, 21:51, by Tracy Hackler

Panini America officials are doing more than just penning a new chapter for the next edition of Playbook Football; they’re essentially writing a whole new volume. And when 2013 Playbook Football releases in early October, it promises to meld the best parts of the first two launches (2011 and 2012) with some completely new plot twists sure to have football collectors salivating.
Already one of the most unique NFL trading card products on the market, Playbook will continue pushing the creative envelope in 2013 by delivering, for the first time, veteran autographed memorabilia booklets, stunning one-of-one Flywire Booklets, Playbook Coaches Signature Booklets honoring the game’s most legendary coaches, and booklets featuring the favorite plays of top 2013 rookies hand-sketched and autographed by the rookies themselves.

But perhaps the most intriguing new addition to the Playbook franchise involves the product taking a decidedly dirty turn — think “Fifty Shades of Grass Stains” or “The Great Unwashed” — by incorporating the most fabulously filthy jumbo game-worn swatches imaginable for the Down & Dirty Booklets.
Add it all up and you’ve got the makings of another bona fide best-seller for the all-hit product that promises four autograph or memorabilia cards in every four-card pack (two booklet cards, at least one autographed version, one additional autograph and one other hit).
2013 Playbook Football’s table of compelling contents reads something like this:
  • Rookies Booklet Signatures: Booklet Rookie Cards of the 40 players who attended the 2013 NFLPA Rookie Premiere featuring player die-cuts along with two memorabilia swatches and an autograph.
  • Playbook Booklet Signatures: Autographed booklets from current NFL stars highlighted by one-of-one autographed printing plate, NFL Shield and Nike Swoosh versions.
  • Down & Dirty Booklets: Featuring unwashed game-worn jerseys fresh from the field in all of their gritty glory; dirt-stained, grass-stained and outrageously good.
  • Flywire Booklets: Rare one-of-one booklets featuring the NFL Shield and Nike’s Flywire collar taken from the game-worn jerseys of today’s top stars.
  • Playbook Coaches Signature Booklets: Unique booklet cards featuring signatures from some of the most influential coaches in NFL history.
  • Rookie-Drawn Play Booklets: Each of the 40 rookies who attended the 2013 NFLPA Rookie Premiere sketched out and signed their own favorite plays that give them the best opportunity to make an impact in the game.
  • Base Signatures: Look for Gold versions, Green versions and Black versions sequentially numbered to 10 or less.
We’ll have much more on 2013 Playbook Football right here on The Knight’s Lance as the story unfolds. But until then, enjoy this extended first look at the product.

Panini America Begins Writing Masterpiece for 2013 Playbook Football (Sneak Peek) | The Official Panini America Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Why won't they just go back to the design from 2 years ago? It was so clean and nice.
Sikkcaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

does anyone else see a "di!ck and balls" on the right patch on the AP booklet?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

damn, no one else notices that?

I better rethink some things in my life then
Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

I love the rookie playbooks from last year, and these are pretty much identical. To get veterans as well will be awesome.

The drawn out play is a blatant rip off of supreme, but it still looks cool, so im good with that too.

My biggest complaint is the Griffin, which everyone will freak over because of the collar. However, its just a border slapped on a big swatch in the same way triple threads always does it. I dont understand owning a card like this if there is no design to it. Why not just buy the whole jersey for the same price? This looks horrible.

Lastly, the Peterson book looks awesome, glad someone finally figured out that we WANT dirty swatches. Cant imagine how some of those cards will smell though!

My Cordarrelle Patterson Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/cordarrelle-patterson
deltapi1049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

lol I see the dick and balls on that patch
robertspangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltapi1049 View Post
I love the rookie playbooks from last year, and these are pretty much identical. To get veterans as well will be awesome.

The drawn out play is a blatant rip off of supreme, but it still looks cool, so im good with that too.

My biggest complaint is the Griffin, which everyone will freak over because of the collar. However, its just a border slapped on a big swatch in the same way triple threads always does it. I dont understand owning a card like this if there is no design to it. Why not just buy the whole jersey for the same price? This looks horrible.

Lastly, the Peterson book looks awesome, glad someone finally figured out that we WANT dirty swatches. Cant imagine how some of those cards will smell though!
I agree with everything you said, except, predictably, I LOVE the flywire. Frekin love it. Now I just need UltraPro or Pro-Mold to make a bigger 3-piece One-touch booklet holder. Shouldn't take but another 3 or 4 years.
Blowout's #1 BAYLOR SUPER COLLECTOR
HTTR!!! Sic'em Bears!!!
For Trade: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Sensei322/a/football
Sensei322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

It'll be interesting to see just how dirty the jerseys are in the "Down & Dirty". The Peterson is obviously a mockup. I'm guessing they'll use some jerseys that don't look anywhere near as dirty, but that's nothing some dirt from your backyard can't fix to get a few extra bucks when selling
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Love that the flywire is game worn. Now if they could only add an auto to one of the panels, it would be perfect.

Too bad they will likely only be 1/1.
BlueReloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I like what they are doing with this product.
Don't ask me for my best price. You give me your best offer
CarolinaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

I like the look now I just hope they put some Vet Seahawks books in the product.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawks fan View Post
I like the look now I just hope they put some Vet Seahawks books in the product.
Agreed, Panini has been skimping on them this year. Seems like it is Marshawn Lynch and nobody else.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

I do have 1 Problem. Carolina jerseys don't have the Flywire collars so there won't be any flywire books of the players I collect. Boo.
Don't ask me for my best price. You give me your best offer
CarolinaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post
I do have 1 Problem. Carolina jerseys don't have the Flywire collars so there won't be any flywire books of the players I collect. Boo.
Oooo. Good point! I forgot that a handful of teams have opted out of the flywire collars. I wonder if they are going to have an alternate.

Also, I wonder if Nike is sponsoring these cards since their logo is printed front and center.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Dirty stuff....
Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

The Flywire 1/1 are absolutely sick. Best card idea in a long while. Thats a card you could present on your desk and not look like a complete nerd. Very cool design.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Props to Panini for a very creative product.
ivbaseball06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think the previews look really really cool but I have also noticed a trend with ALL the card companies....

The further out from release, the cooler the set looks.

It seems to happen with shocking regularity. Company goes photoshop crazy and makes a sick looking set only to have the real thing come out 6 months later and look like every other card produced that year.
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

haha i see it

Posted from Blowoutcards.com App for Android
Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjp87 View Post
does anyone else see a "di!ck and balls" on the right patch on the ap booklet?
hahahahahahahaha
Brandon2598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynogeis View Post
The Flywire 1/1 are absolutely sick. Best card idea in a long while. Thats a card you could present on your desk and not look like a complete nerd. Very cool design.
Hahaha good point.
Blowout's #1 BAYLOR SUPER COLLECTOR
HTTR!!! Sic'em Bears!!!
For Trade: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Sensei322/a/football
Sensei322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think it looks awesome!
Oilngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueReloaded View Post
Oooo. Good point! I forgot that a handful of teams have opted out of the flywire collars. I wonder if they are going to have an alternate.

Also, I wonder if Nike is sponsoring these cards since their logo is printed front and center.

Yeah it looks like the teams without Flywire collars are:

Packers, Falcons, Eagles, Panthers, Raiders, Pats, Chiefs, Steelers and Texans.

That's alot of teams to be ignored for that set.
fazzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #24 (permalink)

That fly wire and down and dirty is legit innovation. Topps stole the actual play book thunder in supreme this year, but those booklets are pimp too as their product is literally play book.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyz129 View Post
That fly wire and down and dirty is legit innovation.
Im shaking my head at this post. This is far from innovation. Innovation would be something that doesnt already exist.

All Panini did was cut up a collar and put it in a triple book card. That's not innovation, that's just repurpose.

Down and Dirty is a similar thing.

Here is the thing guys - I knew all of you would drool over the flywire, but its just representative of the way cards are produced these days. There is no focus on design, just "lets pack as much into this swatch as we can and watch them drool over it."

RGIII's picture is the size of a penny. They have THREE PANELS and they still couldnt find a place to add a bigger player picture? The team logo got as much space as RGIII. How is that acceptable to anyone?

Do I think there is a need for flywire collars in cards now that they are part of the game? OF COURSE. Should card companies continue to produce "cards" that are basically just enormous swatches with small borders? NO.

My Cordarrelle Patterson Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/cordarrelle-patterson

Last edited by deltapi1049; 07-11-2013 at 08:07 AM.
deltapi1049 is offline   Reply With Quote