Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,318
Default Is it me or does anyone else feel that Andy Dalton cards are severely undervalued?

he's been very consistent and sometimes amazing in his first two years, and will be hitting the supposedly magical 3rd season when it all comes together. he's also throwing to probably the 2nd or 3rd best wr in the game, and on a really good football team that will compete for their division.

yet his cards sell for less than guys like tannehill who haven't proven anything yet.

so is dalton being overlooked in the hobby and football altogether?
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 34,769
Default

the ginger effect
__________________
collecting Foles, Garoppolo and Mitchell
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: US
Posts: 7,647
Default

For some brands, I agree; Andy Dalton is certainly undervalued. Conversely, Ryan Tannehill is easily the most overvalued QB. Nonetheless, the industry tends to lag when it comes to these things; I think you'll see definitely see Dalton's items increase as we get closer to the season and throughout parts of the season.

However, it's really a moot point if one doesn't act on such a conviction. I know most people don't, because they're afraid of "paying Ebay", even when supply for nice items almost doesn't exist.
__________________
Check both links! Different items in each.

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/coltsfan23
http://www.flickr.com/photos/112087390@N03/sets/72157638871019534/
coltsfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan23 View Post
For some brands, I agree; Andy Dalton is certainly undervalued. Conversely, Ryan Tannehill is easily the most overvalued QB. Nonetheless, the industry tends to lag when it comes to these things; I think you'll see definitely see Dalton's items increase as we get closer to the season and throughout parts of the season.

However, it's really a moot point if one doesn't act on such a conviction. I know most people don't, because they're afraid of "paying Ebay", even when supply for nice items almost doesn't exist.
agreed. i'm not saying his cards are cheap in the least, but yeah i feel for who he is and the type of offense he runs his cards can do a lot better, and are good buys right now. especially when you compare his prices to hype players like tannehill and i'll add kaep and wilson to the list too. i am definitely a buyer right now.
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In a warehouse of common sense
Posts: 2,410
Default

I agree, he's done well so far but just needs time showing up on SportsCenter and doing well in fantasy leagues for added exposure in the card market. I've done card shows in central Ohio for years and it's pretty darn rare for anyone to ask for Dalton's. I can easily state that I have more interest in Steelers/Browns and common rookies from there than for any Cincy players, no matter how well they're doing. Not sure how it is at those Moeller shows but probably more demand right in cincy.
__________________
BUYING: 2001 UD NFL Legends Autographs - Daunte Culpepper - $300. Steve Young - $350.
BUYING: 2004 Ultimate Collection Jsy/Autos/25 - David Carr, Tom Brady - Paying $550, in case you like money.
nabzy28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
TimGeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan23 View Post
Conversely, Ryan Tannehill is easily the most overvalued QB.
I'll have to go with Brock Osweiler on that one.
__________________
Frank Thomas/Roberto Clemente/Ewell Blackwell/Minnie Minoso
White Sox/Vols/Titans
TimGeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,616
Default

Dont know how he is valued but he is not a good qb. Cincy has quite a few weapons in that offense and Dalton still struggles to get them the ball. I see a weak arm and mediocre qb.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
JHinGA09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGeezy View Post
I'll have to go with Brock Osweiler on that one.
Andy Dalton is undervalued for a starter. Some of Matt Flynn's stuff sales beyond what Dalton would even though Flynn hasn't played an entire season yet.
Oz is overvalued to me while Ryan Mallett is undervalued, both being backups.
__________________
Set Needs: 2011 R&S Longevity Black Prime, 2010 Certified Shirt Off My Back Prime, Laundry Tags, Logo Patches http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt344/JHnGA09/
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jhinga09
JHinGA09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Posts: 1,356
Default

Who is Andy Dalton?? LOL
SkinsNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGeezy View Post
I'll have to go with Brock Osweiler on that one.
forgot about him. i am completely dumbfounded by his hobby value right now. if it's because people assume he is destined for greatness because he is manning's back up, and learning at the feet of a master, then they are sorely mistaken. just ask qb greats such as curtis painter, dan orlovsky, and the immortal jim sorgi.
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterPattie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio (but originally from Michigan)
Posts: 7,086
Default

Yeah, I think Dalton is a little undervalued - but playing in a small market will do that sometimes to players.

Cincy has made the playoffs each of the last 2 seasons. If they make a run this year, his cards could really increase in demand.
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPattie View Post
Yeah, I think Dalton is a little undervalued - but playing in a small market will do that sometimes to players.

Cincy has made the playoffs each of the last 2 seasons. If they make a run this year, his cards could really increase in demand.
yeah. this also just may be who he is, a steady handed qb who is just boring and efficient and doesn't electrify the nfl. maybe call it the "matt ryan" effect.

ryan had a great run and almost took his team to the superbowl last year and his card prices didn't hardly move.
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan23 View Post
. Conversely, Ryan Tannehill is easily the most overvalued QB. .
How is Tannehill more overvalued than Osweiller?
__________________
Follow me on twitter @bigtrix36
I PC Da Bears, Seahawks, Mariners, Pirates
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/trixstar
trixstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
superynaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 5,002
Default

He plays for the Bengals... Hobby love/value has always been pretty rough for them...
superynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: US
Posts: 7,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
How is Tannehill more overvalued than Osweiller?
Ryan Tannehill is more overvalued, because some of his items sell 3X more than Osweiler's. Obviously given that he's a starter, I believe Tannehill should sell higher than Brock, but certainly not at 3x. Therefore, given current prices, I prefer the risk/reward scenario on Brock better than Tannehill. He's more likely to spike in the near-term due to continued speculation, whereas I feel a lot of the assumed success is priced into Tannehill's items. There's also more downside on Tannehill in the very near term, as his prices will be more likely to be affected if he doesn't start the season much better than last year's (he was HORRIBLE last year, but his prices would make it seem like people assume a miracle).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post

ryan had a great run and almost took his team to the superbowl last year and his card prices didn't hardly move.
That's completely untrue. His items did spike; I did really well on some of his items last year.
__________________
Check both links! Different items in each.

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/coltsfan23
http://www.flickr.com/photos/112087390@N03/sets/72157638871019534/
coltsfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,517
Default

Dalton sucks. He's the benefactor of the great AJ Green effect.
__________________
Over 3500 Marinos with 330+ memorabilia cards (100 of which are auto'd)
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q290/collegetim916
[B]Marino Most Wanted:
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
How is Tannehill more overvalued than Osweiller?
Because no one has had the chance to see the lack of true potential the Osweiller has. Everyone has seen how slow at making decisions Tanne is. Although, I do agree with you. Rodgers had a better chance at learning from Brett Favre than Osweiller EVER will have to learn while P-Mann is there.
__________________
Over 3500 Marinos with 330+ memorabilia cards (100 of which are auto'd)
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q290/collegetim916
[B]Marino Most Wanted:
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,613
Send a message via AIM to wheeler281
Default

He is not really loved in his city. In fact most Bengal fans I know are not really happy with his progress/direction. That will reflect when your own fans are not bidding up your items

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
How is Tannehill more overvalued than Osweiller?
Cause he is better comes to mind
__________________
Collecting Cardboard of The Black N Gold Variety
wheeler281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler281 View Post
He is not really loved in his city. In fact most Bengal fans I know are not really happy with his progress/direction. That will reflect when your own fans are not bidding up your items



Cause he is better comes to mind
that seems crazy to me. how can the fans not love him there? ever since he got there with green he has done nothing but win football games, and the team has been on a upswing and is on the verge of becoming one of the elite teams in afc.
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
MLH
Member
 
MLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: US
Posts: 2,295
Default

I honestly believe some ppl think he's maxed out, that doesn't seem to be the sentiment with a Tannehill, and i don't necessarily disagree, though I do think Dalton will improve a little.
MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinocollector View Post
Because no one has had the chance to see the lack of true potential the Osweiller has. Everyone has seen how slow at making decisions Tanne is. Although, I do agree with you. Rodgers had a better chance at learning from Brett Favre than Osweiller EVER will have to learn while P-Mann is there.
lol what
Miami Dolphins Talking Points: Decision-making continues to be Ryan Tannehill’s most impressive attribute | The Daily Dolphin
__________________
Follow me on twitter @bigtrix36
I PC Da Bears, Seahawks, Mariners, Pirates
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/trixstar
trixstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan23 View Post
Ryan Tannehill is more overvalued, because some of his items sell 3X more than Osweiler's. Obviously given that he's a starter, I believe Tannehill should sell higher than Brock, but certainly not at 3x. Therefore, given current prices, I prefer the risk/reward scenario on Brock better than Tannehill. He's more likely to spike in the near-term due to continued speculation, whereas I feel a lot of the assumed success is priced into Tannehill's items. There's also more downside on Tannehill in the very near term, as his prices will be more likely to be affected if he doesn't start the season much better than last year's (he was HORRIBLE last year, but his prices would make it seem like people assume a miracle).




That's completely untrue. His items did spike; I did really well on some of his items last year.
He was horrible the first 4 games
__________________
Follow me on twitter @bigtrix36
I PC Da Bears, Seahawks, Mariners, Pirates
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/trixstar
trixstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,517
Default

Yes. Anytime I wish to make a point on the talent level of a QB, I find a fan boy newsletter to quote.

From my perspective of last season, he throws to open WR's instead of making throws to WR's that will be open. Its a fine line between being Trent Dilfer and being Peyton Manning. I see Tanne not even making it to Dilfer status from the progression I saw last season.

Could I be wrong? Yes. As a Fin Fan, I hope I am.
__________________
Over 3500 Marinos with 330+ memorabilia cards (100 of which are auto'd)
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q290/collegetim916
[B]Marino Most Wanted:
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,613
Send a message via AIM to wheeler281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
that seems crazy to me. how can the fans not love him there? ever since he got there with green he has done nothing but win football games, and the team has been on a upswing and is on the verge of becoming one of the elite teams in afc.
Hey I am with ya. From what they tll they attribute that more to AJ Greene and the defense then Dalton. However you asked why the value was down so I game my .02 cents
__________________
Collecting Cardboard of The Black N Gold Variety
wheeler281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
he's been very consistent and sometimes amazing in his first two years, and will be hitting the supposedly magical 3rd season when it all comes together. he's also throwing to probably the 2nd or 3rd best wr in the game, and on a really good football team that will compete for their division.

yet his cards sell for less than guys like tannehill who haven't proven anything yet.

so is dalton being overlooked in the hobby and football altogether?
It really might be his hair. There have not been many good redhead quarterbacks in NFL history. Maybe he should just dye it brown.
eliteco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.