Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default High End

I have been buying a lot of singles and lower end hobby boxes recently like Supreme, Magic, the boxes between the 60-120 range. I want to step up and buy a high end products like National Treasures or Five Star but, I keep wimping out. I want more high end in my collection and something that gives me the best Bang for my buck. I think i might just go for it this weekend and buy a National Treasures. Sorry for the vent. Just something ive been on the fence about for a good while now.

P.S. I do have the funds to support the buy, but ive read the Horror Stories and everything that it was a waste of money and not to do it.
usaf010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah, it's a waste. I've spent thousands on exquisite boxes and SP in the past and struck out every single time. For the most part you almost never get your money back. Let's say you hit it big eventually, by then you would have wasted a considerable amount on previous boxes. Busting them can get addicting and you're sure to spend all the money you have (and don't have) until you get something you finally desire. You also end up with a bunch of cards you don't really care to have which you have to try to sell/trade.

In retrospect, I always think about what I could've bought to enhance my player PC with all that money. IMO I would focus on a player (or team) to PC. It's more rewarding in the long run.
bag0bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag0bull View Post
Yeah, it's a waste. I've spent thousands on exquisite boxes and SP in the past and struck out every single time. For the most part you almost never get your money back. Let's say you hit it big eventually, by then you would have wasted a considerable amount on previous boxes. Busting them can get addicting and you're sure to spend all the money you have (and don't have) until you get something you finally desire. You also end up with a bunch of cards you don't really care to have which you have to try to sell/trade.

In retrospect, I always think about what I could've bought to enhance my player PC with all that money. IMO I would focus on a player (or team) to PC. It's more rewarding in the long run.

Thats some great advice man. Ive looked at it on both sides of the fence. One side you get lucky and pull the card everyone wants. On the other you lose money and get the not so good cards. I think i might just lurk in the B/S/T and find what i want. I PC mostly anyone. Example:

Matthew Stafford, Brian Urlacher,RG3,Wilson,Luck
Kobe Bryant,Lebron,Michael Jordan
Chipper Jones,Bryce Harper,Mike Trout
Dale Jr,Richard Petty,Kevin Harvick,Tony Stewart,Brad Keselowski
Tiger Woods,Bubba Watson

As you can see im all over the board and sometimes people ask way to much for certain cards and i just cant add them to my PC. Thanks for the adive bud. Helped a lot.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you go in knowing you're probably not going to make your money back and you're probably not going to hit a big name it's that much nicer when you do. People that go in with a rip and flip attitude always end up disappointed. Go in just excited to open some high and and enjoy it for what it is, a hobby.
trixstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
If you go in knowing you're probably not going to make your money back and you're probably not going to hit a big name it's that much nicer when you do. People that go in with a rip and flip attitude always end up disappointed. Go in just excited to open some high and and enjoy it for what it is, a hobby.
Stop making so much sense.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Thats what i always do. Im not a rip and flip type of guy. I collect to collect thats why my PC is so broad. One day ill buy a Basketball PC the next for my Nascar PC. I enjoy opening and waiting to see what is inside.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Check out the Box Breaks section and/or some video box breaks on Youtube on some NT to get a feeling of what a box could net you. I think you have better odds of "bang for buck" with high-end NT or Five Star over the typical low- to mid-end boxes.
crac0018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

I wouldn't go in to a high end box expecting much. If you are breaking wax...do it for the excitement and fun. If you hit it big..then it's just that much more exciting. If you can afford the "big" boxes, and enjoy breaking for the fun of it...do it. If you are looking to bump up your PC...buy singles. I bought into about 10 NT case breaks...multiple spots..this year...enough spent to buy well over two boxes of cards..maybe three. I wish I would have either just bought the three boxes..or bought singles myself. I got hammered on the group breaks.

Good luck with any decision you make.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

If you're looking for the best "bang for your buck" buy singles. Wax is more often then not a losing proposition.
-Kobe & Kevin Garnett Autos, Inserts & Graded cards
Krayzie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

buy singles. busting wax is like playing roulette. fun but always a loss unless u get real lucky

Just give me a heads up, I'll crap the booze out, have a mint, good to go.
davidsemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf010 View Post
Thats some great advice man. Ive looked at it on both sides of the fence. One side you get lucky and pull the card everyone wants. On the other you lose money and get the not so good cards. I think i might just lurk in the B/S/T and find what i want. I PC mostly anyone.

As you can see im all over the board and sometimes people ask way to much for certain cards and i just cant add them to my PC. Thanks for the adive bud. Helped a lot.
This can be problematic. IMHO you should try to get what you want, not what others desire to obtain. It's cool you PC a bunch of those players by the way. There a higher chance that you won't regret spending hundreds, if not thousands on players/teams you appreciate rather than high end boxes that may leave you disappointed.

Quote:
I suppose that's one way of looking at it. There's no doubt that there's a high level of excitement ripping packs but there's a sudden drop in enthusiasm if you don't do well considering the amount you spend. If money isn't an object than by all mean rip away. There are some high rollers who could go through boxes without flinching. For most of us we have to count the cost which is why I think collecting singles in the long run is more satisfying.
bag0bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf010 View Post
I have been buying a lot of singles and lower end hobby boxes recently like Supreme, Magic, the boxes between the 60-120 range. I want to step up and buy a high end products like National Treasures or Five Star but, I keep wimping out. I want more high end in my collection and something that gives me the best Bang for my buck. I think i might just go for it this weekend and buy a National Treasures. Sorry for the vent. Just something ive been on the fence about for a good while now.

P.S. I do have the funds to support the buy, but ive read the Horror Stories and everything that it was a waste of money and not to do it.
You want high end then buy some singles from that product of players you want. You could buy many nice items for the $500 box cost. Just my two cents on the matter.
eliteco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

i personally would buy a case or half case of prime signatures. It has a really nice design and the big name players do sell for a good bit. Much better chance of money back.

Buying Topps 50th Anniversary Autos /50
PC Brett Favre and John Elway
packattack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

I really wanted to buy a hobby box so I put 300 into a 2012 contenders and 2012 playbook playbook was crap a ton of no names and only 4 cards Contenders was awesome though I got to rip a ton of Packages open and its fun not knowing where your auto's are coming from. Everyone told me to buy singles and I knew what I wanted and what would make me happy. Ended up pulling a Luck #/99 Doug Martin rookie ink and a Ryan Broyles base auto everyone said I pretty much killed contenders was it nice getting a good return? Yes. Was it the attitude I went into it with? No You just have to know what you want and do that it will honestly make you the happiest
Man in the Mirror Brando19 MarshallCutler6 Nephinfan
DieselPack1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

** note even if I pulled all my contenders cards from playbook playbook was still crap no fun opening just 4 packs! But thats just my opinion
Man in the Mirror Brando19 MarshallCutler6 Nephinfan
DieselPack1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsemo View Post
buy singles. busting wax is like playing roulette. fun but always a loss unless u get real lucky
Roulette with all six bullets loaded! Wax is fun, but more than likely you'll be disappointed by the breaks in NT. You'll get a lot of single color jersey cards... I still don't believe in paying 600-700 a box to pull JERSEY cards.