Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Baby got back!

Just did an article on this subject, but I wanted to get others' takes on it too.

I know, i know, no one cares about the back of the card blah blah blah, BUT - if there's anyone else out there like me who still actually reads the back side of the card: What are some of your favorite sets for the info/design on the reverse side?

For me, one of my all-time faves would have to be 1997 Upper Deck

MUCH better than some of the poor efforts we've seen like 2011 Topps Prime

(Reminds me of an index card)
Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't like pics on the back...I prefer the Gonzo!

FOR TRADE: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jared6180/a/for-trade#!page=2
jared6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared6180 View Post
I don't like pics on the back...I prefer the Gonzo!
I'm the opposite. I prefer seeing the player on the back. You see that more in 90's cards.
sunsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Axe

yeah, most of the time it seems they forget to do anything for the back. I personally like cards like the UD example, multi year stats, bio info, with some highlights, and the photo is a plus, but ill even take nice designed artistic backs also.

IMO, most all cards have drastically went down hill compared to 90's.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

I prefer the Gonzo, the back should be simple otherwise I think the card looks way to busy. Just my two cents.
sportscards0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

I thoroughly enjoy the backs of 2011 Contenders:

ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post

IMO, most all cards have drastically went down hill compared to 90's.
Cards with big pics or big designs on the back just look to busy. I would rather have the great looking front designs from 2010-Now and have less on the back than to have a crappy, cheap 90s front with an unnecessary pic or big design on the back. I display my cards so I can see the FRONT, not the BACK!

oh and 2011 Contenders is a no-go, 2010 and 2012 however are awesome looking cards!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm with the OP, I like stats.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Axe

Quote:
Cards with big pics or big designs on the back just look to busy. I would rather have the great looking front designs from 2010-Now and have less on the back than to have a crappy, cheap 90s front with an unnecessary pic or big design on the back. I display my cards so I can see the FRONT, not the BACK!

oh and 2011 Contenders is a no-go, 2010 and 2012 however are awesome looking cards!
the nineties had far better designs overall then most of the junk now a days, base and inserts alike. as for you displaying your cards by the front, well damn ya got me there, you would be pretty silly to turn them around and admire the backs I guess, they may as well not even make the backs, just leave em blank ya, lol.

to each there own, I personally when I admire something, I admire the front and back, just like any nice looking woman, lol. but im sure theres many like you who just admire the fronts, so its all good.

LOL, just funning

seriously though, I like companies to put effort in the fronts and backs, and I absolutely hate auto/jersey cards that the only thing on the back is basically the companies official statement about the auto/jersey on the card.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
the nineties had far better designs overall then most of the junk now a days, base and inserts alike. as for you displaying your cards by the front, well damn ya got me there, you would be pretty silly to turn them around and admire the backs I guess, they may as well not even make the backs, just leave em blank ya, lol.

to each there own, I personally when I admire something, I admire the front and back, just like any nice looking woman, lol. but im sure theres many like you who just admire the fronts, so its all good.

LOL, just funning

seriously though, I like companies to put effort in the fronts and backs, and I absolutely hate auto/jersey cards that the only thing on the back is basically the companies official statement about the auto/jersey on the card.
If they leave them blank what would happen to those fantastic blank back 1/1's.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56LightsOut56 View Post
If they leave them blank what would happen to those fantastic blank back 1/1's.
Nicely done.

Now I have to clean milk off the monitor.

I will never understand the desire people have for those idiotic 1/1s.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
I thoroughly enjoy the backs of 2011 Contenders:
Agreed. Maybe it's a subconscious thing, but both Contenders and Chrome are two of the few autos sets that included full details on the back and are the two most popular sets...
Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

LOL, just funning

When it comes to women I admire them much differently than cards. Women mostly like it when you handle them rough, cards not so much. Women have much better measurements than cards and women require two hands to handle them properly. Most women like it when you pound the corners, cards don't. Women don't mind foreign fluids, cards do. These are all things I like about women MUCH better than cards and there are a bunch more...

Cards on the other hand never ask you to take your time when you are ripping open the package...some women do... And if you ever get tired of cards you can just put them on eBay...I wish I could have just thrown a couple girls I dated in the past on eBay! Would have probably got negative feedback though so it's good that I didn't!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
When it comes to women I admire them much differently than cards. Women mostly like it when you handle them rough, cards not so much. Women have much better measurements than cards and women require two hands to handle them properly. Most women like it when you pound the corners, cards don't. Women don't mind foreign fluids, cards do. These are all things I like about women MUCH better than cards and there are a bunch more...

Cards on the other hand never ask you to take your time when you are ripping open the package...some women do... And if you ever get tired of cards you can just put them on eBay...I wish I could have just thrown a couple girls I dated in the past on eBay! Would have probably got negative feedback though so it's good that I didn't!!!
My only thought after reading "Most women like it when you pound the corners.":

It's a good thing BO isn't linked to anyone's dating profile.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

I was a big fan of the earlier Stadium club cards as it would show a pic of their first topps card on the back.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawks fan View Post

I was a big fan of the earlier Stadium club cards as it would show a pic of their first topps card on the back.

Ok, you got me on that one. I remember as a kid referencing my Stadium Club cards to see what the rookie looked like and looking through OLD cards my dad and grandpa had. That however served a utilitarian purpose. With the exception of those ever other picture I have seen on the back of a card was the waste pic, and not really that great. This is a general statement and I am sure there are exceptions.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawks fan View Post

In a hobby so thoroughly dominated by the rookie card, one thing i would love for a company like Topps to do would be to include "career cards" for players who retired that year in their flagship and Chrome. The front would have an awesome picture and maybe a symbol similar to the "RC" one and the back would include an image of their first Topps card and the player's stats for every single season.