Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help, Collector Reborn

So, long story short. I used to collect a lot of cards when I was younger, the overproduced years 87-92. Just recently I decided to buy a few packs, and then got enough money to buy a few boxes, and BAM, I'm hooked again. Now here's where I could use some help, I'm lucky enough to have sold some odds and ends on ebay of stuff around the house and have about $150 to blow on cards. I recently bought a hobby box of 09 Topps Mayo, and really like the product, pulled a Laurinitaus Auto, Barden Jersey, and a McNabb RIP which had an SP Peyton Manning. I was thinking of get something different and I could use some suggestions. I'd be most interested in getting something that would give me some money cards to sell to continue to buy more cards.

Thanks for the help,

JK
jknumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

The newest products almost always sell the best. That said, I like Gridiron Gear, Limited and Certified. Good Luck

RIP PAPAJIM
keggobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

First off Welcome back! Now, Rip and Flip is a hard way to feed the "monster" hitting that one card that will put $$$ back in your pocket out of mid priced products is tough. With that being said if it were me I would get a few boxes of Chrome 08 and 09. Solid market and they hold value well IMHO.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_razorback View Post
First off Welcome back! Now, Rip and Flip is a hard way to feed the "monster" hitting that one card that will put $$$ back in your pocket out of mid priced products is tough. With that being said if it were me I would get a few boxes of Chrome 08 and 09. Solid market and they hold value well IMHO.
Ok so If money isn't an issue in terms of1 case, and u are interested in ripping and flipping
Football, what product is most likely to return ur investment and more? And how about the upcoming ultimate collection and exquisite?
kensanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensanity View Post
Ok so If money isn't an issue in terms of1 case, and u are interested in ripping and flipping
Football, what product is most likely to return ur investment and more? And how about the upcoming ultimate collection and exquisite?
In my opinion, high end like products like that are not good for ripping and flipping. The best to rip and flip is the mid-tier stuff.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

wait for the 2010 UD Draft to release (pre-order) then rip and flip ASAP. Tebow's stuff is gonna be selling crazy high until they see he can't play
Old 02-19-2010, 02:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajshack View Post
In my opinion, high end like products like that are not good for ripping and flipping. The best to rip and flip is the mid-tier stuff.
what makes you say this? I honestly have no experience in football cards so I just want a little more detailed explanation. LIke compare a specific mid tier product and Exquisite.
kensanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

When it comes to cases Topps Chrome is nice Topps Finest is nice But for more money
contenders and spa is the best but you missed the boat on that one so I would wait till 2010 or open another sport.
I love opening Football but if I am trying to rip and flip current sport is the best
marines4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

In a nut shell - Typically the higher the priced product, the less cards you get. The less cards, the higher than chances you need a big hit to get your money back.

The low end products you can do well with it done correctly. Score can be profitable, but you'll either need to put the time into making sets, team or player lots once the inserts are sold. Base Topps can do well before team sets are released (even afterwards since some dealers prefer to sell hand sets since you know you'll get all the cards and can guarentee condition), but player lots and team lots can do well also.

Your mid teir stuff is hit or miss in all honesty. For recommendations I'd find a product you like, check out the resell on it (if your needing to resell), then compare it against your purchase price. Most breaks now a days you'll still need either a few big hits or a few that have player collectors and a few bidding battles to really help out the price.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm only going to concentrate on football, because I'm a big Steelers fan. I like hockey too, but I want to try to focus on one sport to keep the cost of feeding the monster to a minimum. What do you guys think about Topps Platinum? Topps Unique?
jknumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Topps Unique is awful, stay away
A lot of people really like Platinum, but I don't think the resale value is there.
If it were me I'd echo what someone said earlier, buy a box or 2 of the new 2010 football stuff when it comes out and sell right away, should be a popular rookie class
ReinholdMessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknumber7 View Post
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm only going to concentrate on football, because I'm a big Steelers fan. I like hockey too, but I want to try to focus on one sport to keep the cost of feeding the monster to a minimum. What do you guys think about Topps Platinum? Topps Unique?
Please don't do that to yourself.
tolrobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinholdMessner View Post
Topps Unique is awful, stay away
A lot of people really like Platinum, but I don't think the resale value is there.
If it were me I'd echo what someone said earlier, buy a box or 2 of the new 2010 football stuff when it comes out and sell right away, should be a popular rookie class
this. 2010 press pass and ud draft are always money makers if you sell early.
tolrobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

another new customer?!?!?, welcome back to the hobby! I'd go with Sp right now...
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote