Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default No more VET Shields in Certified

I've put together almost 200 1/1 NFL Logo shields from Certified since 2003. I've only seen a few veteran 1/1 Mirror Blacks pop up from 2013 and they all just had patches (Hankerson, Trent Richardson etc) so I emailed Tracy Hackler and here is their official response.

"There are no longer shields for this release. Some of the elements of Certified are found in sets released shortly after, but we’ll take a look at bringing some of these back in future releases."

So the set that started the 1/1 NFL Logo craze throughout the industry just got out of the 1/1 Logo business. Just wanted to share in case this hasnt been posted yet.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

That stinks. Loved the chance at thoes every year
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/Gadsden86/
Welker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker83 View Post
That stinks. Loved the chance at thoes every year
Its tough getting Vet shields now. Every product has a rookie premiere shield set in it since those are practically free. They slowly killed Certified shield's anyway, for a few years they used tiny windows, last year they went back to the big windows and I thought we were on the right track for 13 but here we are...
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Its tough getting Vet shields now. Every product has a rookie premiere shield set in it since those are practically free. They slowly killed Certified shield's anyway, for a few years they used tiny windows, last year they went back to the big windows and I thought we were on the right track for 13 but here we are...
There is no time like the present to 'back collect'.

I can't see why anyone would be breaking any of this stuff they are putting out right now...

Tis the season to take advantage of a depressed singles market while companies bring the entire industry to lower pricing due to leading with mediocre and slap in the face product.

The big companies with weaker releases are actually causing the singles market to lower... take advantage.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Certified just gets worse and worse every year
kdub0982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Terrible news, the Mirror Black logos have long been my favorites as they incorporated the entire patch as opposed to a partial logo tucked into a tiny window.
-Kobe & Kevin Garnett Autos, Inserts & Graded cards
Krayzie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

There were vet shields in Certified last year?

Why do I feel like I've never seen those
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondjake View Post
There is no time like the present to 'back collect'.

I can't see why anyone would be breaking any of this stuff they are putting out right now...

Tis the season to take advantage of a depressed singles market while companies bring the entire industry to lower pricing due to leading with mediocre and slap in the face product.

The big companies with weaker releases are actually causing the singles market to lower... take advantage.
Exactly this! I always thought it was funny that someone would hit a 1/1 shield from Certified and get all excited that was their pull from a $100 box, and turn around and sell it to me for $75.00. This is just the one set I actually bust every year since I collect the Freshman Fabrics, the FOTG's and the mirror patches. But without having the triple or quad patch FF any more, and no 1/1 shields and nearly impossible (now at least) vet FOTG auto's to pull. Its just not worth my time or money.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
There were vet shields in Certified last year?

Why do I feel like I've never seen those
Because they only included a handful of guys. I have like Tarvaris Jackson and some other no name in my PC from 2012. i think through the entire year I only saw 5 or 6 of them on eBay off the top of my head. years past they had 100+ players with shields. From 2010 I have 32 1/1 NFL Logos, about 2 dozen from 2011 and 2012 they started to give up and use the shields in NT.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

wow what another freaking horrible decision by Panini

those cards are so sweet looking
bigbensbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

I don't think it's so much a "decision" as it is a lack of supply...

There are only so many GAME USED jerseys card companies can get their hands on... it's one thing to pump out a crap ton of "event worn" garbage of rookies, but actual GAME USED stuff is getting to be a rarity in this day and age. Saw this coming years ago I must say, with only 16 games in a season for most teams, and they MAYBE change jerseys at halftime???---so you're talking MAYBE 30 or so "game used" jerseys out there a season, some they keep, give to family, friends, make a wish, etc... The supply of jerseys just isn't there. If Panini does land one or two AP's or Rodgers, Brady, etc... they need to save the shields and logos for the super high end stuff, can't waste it on a $100/box product produced in quantities as high as Certified. The limited supply of GAME USED stuff is exactly why you've seen the shift to rookie driven and "event worn" crap in the last 5 years.
PCing the following Patriots: Jamie Collins, Dont'a Hightower, Shane Vereen, Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung, Vince Wilfork, Chris Slade, Willie McGinest, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Ted Johnson, Kevin Faulk, Ben Coates, Terry Glenn. If you have any RARE cards of them, hit me up!
brianshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

It's not football but the card that made me hooked to Certified. Damn you, Panini!

hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Any MJDs you want to get rid of?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

So no more RC mirror quad gu/autos for rcs #d gold 25, emerald 5, and black /1 like they have had forever and now no Shields.. In a year where there is no rc class to carry your products this is indeed a bad decision.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshaft View Post
I don't think it's so much a "decision" as it is a lack of supply...

they need to save the shields and logos for the super high end stuff, can't waste it on a $100/box product produced in quantities as high as Certified. The limited supply of GAME USED stuff is exactly why you've seen the shift to rookie driven and "event worn" crap in the last 5 years.
But that's the thing. Certified was the FIRST brand to use shields as 1/1's. So its almost like a tradition of sorts. Its as if Contenders suddenly didn't do signed tickets. Obviously the RPM killed the value of all shields since they started using them in every single product. But Panini in 2011 alone used Vet shields in:

NT, Certified, Plates & Patches, Playbook, Absolute & Limited. And thats just off the top of my head. So there have always been plenty of releases to have real shields. I'm not saying stack Certified up with Peyton Manning Logo's. You can save those for NT if you only have 1 jersey. But how about throwing some of the lesser players shields in here? I know they are cutting up Santana Moss jerseys, use those for Cert. Same with Malcolm Floyd or Kenny Britt. Imagine if that was your big case hit in NT anyway. No reason to completely kill it off. They should just spread the love around. Without these big hits I just dont see any real value in buying a case.

This is the only Vet 1/1 sale so far, and it was shilled and relisted already.

2013 Certified Leonard Hankerson SP Mirror Black 3 Colors Patch 1 1 Week 1 2 TD | eBay
Old 09-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

They ruined certified....
Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKS4 View Post
They ruined certified....
I'd rather them "ruin" Certified than keep buying fake GU'd off the secondary market.

Panini might as well be screaming,"Hey guys!!! We were one of the companies paying pennies on the dollars for "game used" items."
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinocollector View Post
I'd rather them "ruin" Certified than keep buying fake GU'd off the secondary market.

Panini might as well be screaming,"Hey guys!!! We were one of the companies paying pennies on the dollars for "game used" items."
I dont see what that has to do with anything. Sure they bought some things from JO Sports in the past that were probably fake. But that has nothing to do with them ruining how they construct a card set.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
I dont see what that has to do with anything. Sure they bought some things from JO Sports in the past that were probably fake. But that has nothing to do with them ruining how they construct a card set.
You cannot construct a card set with limited supply every year, in the manner they did. Panini wold make 3-4 NFL logo's of the top vets every year... is it really feasible to think Panini would be buying 10-25% of the available GU'd jerseys on the market, consistently, every year, and not see a GIANT spike in the value of all current NFL players GU'd jerseys in the secondary market?
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah, I was so sad and a little upset to see the quad patch auto FFs and greens/blacks turn into crap this year with just dual patches and most pretty crappy patches. I think Panini has went downhill in a hurry. I also notice a lot of resemblance of this years FFs to an older UD basketball auto relic rookie card set. They cant even come up with their own ideas anymore. You would think with such a weak rookie class they would try to make products more intriguing but they keep the prices the same and make the product a lot worse. It is evident by looking at the box break section and seeing maybe half of what would normally be there for products like Certified. Add this kind of crap to the subpar customer service and it makes me want to just quit the hobby honestly. I wont but I have been doing better buying singles and not giving into that stupid worthless crap Panini is calling sports cards anymore.
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Great job, Poopnini.

Always looking to trade for Canes.
view my cards for trade @ www.TheCardAlbum.com
The Card Album is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

And this is what we are now left with. Enjoy your $20.00 case hit!

Old 09-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

That Gresham is pathetic.
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinocollector View Post
You cannot construct a card set with limited supply every year, in the manner they did. Panini wold make 3-4 NFL logo's of the top vets every year... is it really feasible to think Panini would be buying 10-25% of the available GU'd jerseys on the market, consistently, every year, and not see a GIANT spike in the value of all current NFL players GU'd jerseys in the secondary market?
Have you ever read the back of a GU card? "This swatch of Game Used material", or "the enclosed item was personally worn" They have been known to cut up pants, gloves, practice jerseys etc so all these shields arent off jerseys every time. Do they imply that they are? Yes Sir! But I can still see where they get them from. See below, you are going to tell me that this isnt from a practice jersey? So there are a bunch of places to get shields from and its not just from Game Worn jerseys. You can, and they have, constructed sets with these "worn" shields in the past. But this is still not the point of this thread.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosFAN#1 View Post
That Gresham is pathetic.
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/f...es-idea-5.html

almost as pathetic as somebody ruining a program like that literally two people in?

http://s1063.beta.photobucket.com/user/PlatinumPlus502/library/
PlatinumPlus502 is offline   Reply With Quote