Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Seller pulled one over on me, so angry at myself

So I bought a team signed item accidentally last week, the seller had it listed at a very high BIN, so i sent a lowball offer just to see what he'd counter at to see what they were looking for on it, it was auto declined. So I doubled the offer, but still was below 50% of the asking price, figuring I'd get a counter to see what they really wanted, but instead it was accepted.

Now the item also wasn't signed by the FULL team, as a couple players were missing from it, but I figured I could always get those last few signatures some day.

Fast forward 3 days and the same seller, but under a different name (and after doing research they sell under 3 or 4 names) lists another one, this one with the FULL team, nobody missing on it, and the BIN OBO is $100 above what I spent on the other one that was missing players.

Seems pretty clear to me that he used the not fully team signed item to set the market, priced this other one just above it, and will ask for more because it has the whole team.

So angry at both myself and the seller, probably myself more though.

Not sure what I'm going to do, I feel like with what I already spent on it, I almost need to pick this other one up because it has the full team on it this time. But then do I return the other one (he does accept returns), do I keep it and try to flip it myself later in the season (it should go up in value in a few months I think), or do I hang onto it until I can get those last few signatures and then try and flip it?

Now it's a matter of if this seller realizes it's the same person who bought the first one from him offering on this second one, and if he might just not sell to me figuring I'm going to return the other to him.

Maybe I email him and say I want this one because it's not missing anyone, offer him more than I spent on the other and tell him I'll return the other one to him and that way I've also set the market even higher for him with this purchase, I have no idea

UGH

Just angry and wanted to vent
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

How was it accidentally done if you offered not once, but twice?

Send it back as item not as described if it didn't have the full team as stated.

Good luck, but accidentally, really?

G
George19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George19 View Post
How was it accidentally done if you offered not once, but twice?

Send it back as item not as described if it didn't have the full team as stated.

Good luck, but accidentally, really?

G
Accidentally because I figured I was offering 200 on a 500 listing after being auto declined at 100, so I thought he'd at the very least counter to try and get more with that initial asking price.

But since I offered and it was accepted, I paid for it, even though it was more than I would have spent on it since it didn't have the full team on it, I just figured there was no he would accept that without a counter given the initial auto decline.

It was fully described, I knew it was missing those two players on it when I bought it, figured I could get them to sign it someday on my own as it's much easier to get two signatures instead of 15+

Which is why I'm angry at myself

He knew what he was doing, set the market with a lesser item, hoping someone will overspend because it seemed rare (and is rare even missing the two signatures) and then go back with the better item a few days later.

Used me to set the market and now I might literally be paying for it, lol

Last edited by zonacats8; 11-20-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
So I bought a team signed item accidentally last week
Sorry, I stopped reading after this.
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just my opinion, but I don't think he necessarily "used" you. You came to him. You offered the price knowing there was a risk that he would accept it. It sounds like he just didn't have a good idea on what sort of a BIN to put on the item until he got offers on it. Once you bought that one, he had a better idea of where to place the full team BIN. You are the one that gave him an idea of what someone was willing to pay, so he went from there. I don't feel you can blame the seller on this one. It could be the same with low #/d cards that sellers don't know how to price. If they have no completed sales to go off of, then they sometimes wait for offers and go from there.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

Smart business man. He did not really set the market though if it took to offers. He might have just set the market on you for the other one
Old 11-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephinfan View Post
Just my opinion, but I don't think he necessarily "used" you. You came to him. You offered the price knowing there was a risk that he would accept it. It sounds like he just didn't have a good idea on what sort of a BIN to put on the item until he got offers on it. Once you bought that one, he had a better idea of where to place the full team BIN. You are the one that gave him an idea of what someone was willing to pay, so he went from there. I don't feel you can blame the seller on this one. It could be the same with low #/d cards that sellers don't know how to price. If they have no completed sales to go off of, then they sometimes wait for offers and go from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler281 View Post
Smart business man. He did not really set the market though if it took to offers. He might have just set the market on you for the other one
Pretty much, I'm not "angry" with him, because what he did was smart, I'm just so angry at myself and it's spilling over
Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sucks you bought something you didn't really want but I don't think the seller did anything wrong. He listed an item, described it accurately, and someone purchased it. I personally wouldn't make an offer on an item with the anticipation the seller won't accept it. You are setting yourself up for something like this to happen. Sorry it didn't work out for you but you can't really blame the seller in this situation.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Pretty much, I'm not "angry" with him, because what he did was smart, I'm just so angry at myself and it's spilling over
Take it easy on yourself as well. At the time, you didn't know he had a full team item to offer up later. We've all been there in those "bummer" situations.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

It's like a game of chess and your opponent was just better with the strategy he used.

Andy Dufresne
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarjetasBéisbol View Post
It's like a game of chess and your opponent was just better with the strategy he used.
I honestly think that's what has me so angry with myself

and honestly, i don't think i'd even care if this other one didn't show up so quickly, i haven't even received mine yet as it was just shipped out last night

he got me, simple as that, and I don't like that one bit, I don't like to "lose"
Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm totally lost.

To me it seems like the Seller had 2 helmets he was looking to sell and didn't really know where to price them. He put the one that wasn't signed by the whole team up and you bought it, and at a price that you seemed to think was really good since you expected to be countered. Now the Seller figures if the one that wasn't signed by the whole team gets $XXX.00 then the one signed by the whole team will get around the same + $100 so he lists the 2nd one.

I don't think he was doing anything wrong, he didn't "get you" and I don't get why you are the least big annoyed since you got a helmet for a price much cheaper than what you were expecting.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC80_LCM View Post
I'm totally lost.

To me it seems like the Seller had 2 helmets he was looking to sell and didn't really know where to price them. He put the one that wasn't signed by the whole team up and you bought it, and at a price that you seemed to think was really good since you expected to be countered. Now the Seller figures if the one that wasn't signed by the whole team gets $XXX.00 then the one signed by the whole team will get around the same + $100 so he lists the 2nd one.

I don't think he was doing anything wrong, he didn't "get you" and I don't get why you are the least big annoyed since you got a helmet for a price much cheaper than what you were expecting.
It wasn't that it was cheaper than I expected, I actually overpaid for it.

I was just trying to figure out what they wanted on it, figured there was no way they were accepting $200 offer on a $500 listing when the $100 offer was auto-declined.

It now occurs to me that it was listed so high because he wasn't sure what kind of offers he would get on it and I'm guessing he wasn't even expecting my $200 offer, hence him accepting it within a 2 minutes of the offer without countering it.

I'd probably say the one I bought with the missing signatures from key players should be worth about $150, I just made a bad judgement in throwing out the $200 offer just expecting to see a counter offer on it given the initial asking price

So it wasn't that I was expecting a counter because I thought it was worth more, I was just expecting a counter because I thought the seller was over-valuing it.

It was just a fail all around on my part
Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

A fail? So you have a helmet that you wanted, just at 50 bucks more. Thats not a fail my friend. Geez cheer up with your first world problems.
Kendrick Lamar
Old 11-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMan12406 View Post
A fail? So you have a helmet that you wanted, just at 50 bucks more. Thats not a fail my friend. Geez cheer up with your first world problems.
Well now I don't exactly want it seeing as there is one available with those missing signatures, I want that one

I bought it and was "okay" with the price as I figured the odds of seeing another show up with the full set of signatures was very unlikely, so I figured maybe someday I could get those signatures myself, so I was able to live with overpaying on the item given the situation

So seeing the same piece, but with all the signatures, just two days later, at $200 less than the asking price on the one I bought and just $100 more than I paid for mine, is just extremely frustrating.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Sell yours then. Or try and work a trade with the seller. Try something, anything.
Kendrick Lamar
Old 11-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMan12406 View Post
Sell yours then. Or try and work a trade with the seller. Try something, anything.
already working on it, and am getting even more stressed out over it seeing as it's been like 3 hours since i sent my offer in and still haven't heard back on it yet
Old 11-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Im confused here...You offered 200 on a 500 item hoping for a higher counteroffer? Instead he accepted and you feel you overpaid? I dont get it.
Cubs_rock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs_rock21 View Post
Im confused here...You offered 200 on a 500 item hoping for a higher counteroffer? Instead he accepted and you feel you overpaid? I dont get it.
Listed at $500, I just wanted to know what he was REALLY looking to get for it.

So I offered $100 on it and was auto declined.

I then just assumed that if 100 was set to auto decline, and the initial asking price was 500, that there was no way a 200 offer would be accepted, figured it would be countered and I'd see what they were really looking to get for it.

I knew that it probably wasn't worth $200, just figured given the initial asking price and the auto decline, that the seller had over-valued it and was asking for some stupid price on it, and I was just trying to figure out what that price was.

I still paid for it because I offered it and felt compelled to honor that offer, it was just a bit of an overpay given the missing signatures, but was "okay" with it in the end because I didn't think I would see a more complete one pop up maybe ever, but especially not this soon

In the end, it wasn't the WORST price in the world as I've definitely done worse in terms of overpaying for something (on a percentage base of what it probably should be worth). It's just a kick in the nuts to then see the same item pop up from the same seller 3 days later, but this one without the missing signatures

Last edited by zonacats8; 11-20-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

whats the point of trying to figure out what he REALLY was looking to get for it? What would you then do with that information?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trufance View Post
whats the point of trying to figure out what he REALLY was looking to get for it? What would you then do with that information?
If someone has something you want, wouldn't you want to know how much they want for it?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Yea and you found out he wanted $200 , enjoy
Old 11-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

I ACCIDENTALLY read all posts to this topic. And I ACCIDENTALLY responded.

In the end somebody feels a little butt hurt and its all from your own actions. I still dont think the "seller pulled one over" to anybody.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojohnny View Post
I ACCIDENTALLY read all posts to this topic. And I ACCIDENTALLY responded.

In the end somebody feels a little butt hurt and its all from your own actions. I still dont think the "seller pulled one over" to anybody.
I never meant it as he pulled one over on me in a shady or wrong way

It was more of a compliment to him that he played it perfectly and I'm just frustrated with myself really
Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trufance View Post
Yea and you found out he wanted $200 , enjoy
yes, yes i did, lol

you win some, you lose some

I've had the opposite happen where I offer a fraction of what I'd be willing to spend on something and it was accepted.

Also have been selling stuff where an offer came it at double of what I was looking to sell it for.

It all just came back to the personal frustration point of then seeing one three days later with those missing signatures on it, was just venting