Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #226 (permalink)
Banned

I just looked for about 5 mins and found these stating he would like to play in a 3-4 back when he was leaving CAR...

Peppers wants to play in a 3-4 - JSOnline
Julius Peppers Wants Out of Carolina, Desires 3-4 Defense - Mile High Report
Julius Peppers Wants To Leave Carolina Panthers For Team With 3-4 Defense | Bleacher Report

If you want me to I could find more, but those were just in a quick 5 min google search showing how Peppers would prefer playing a 3-4, they were from 2009.
ConRyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #227 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstraw53 View Post
I'll admit defeat on the whole 3-4 thing. I know for a fact that I read that he did not want to play in a 3-4 when he was asked about it before we signed him but i cant find it. All i can find now is how excited he is to play in one.. You can chose to beleive me or not.. But Like i said. I think his best years are past him..

I guess we will just have to wait for the season to find out.
It is funny that you say that... because I see the opposite...

Quote:
Peppers has always preferred playing in a 3-4 defense. In 2009 when Peppers was on his way out of Carolina where he was playing in a 4-3 defense, his agent, Carl Carey said:

"He certainly feels that he can excel and thrive in a 3-4 defense. He is also open to just another system in general that will allow him to maximize his athletic abilities."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: Packers sign DE Julius Peppers to a three-year deal - JSOnline
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter
freethrowtommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #228 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
Because Jennings is AWFUL. There is no mix up here. When you don't offer one of your RFA a tender, you know they are expendable.

Jennings was about as expendable a player as the Packers had. I was SHOCKED that he got signed by anybody even if he is just a camp body.

Our frustration at safety started with Jarron McMillian and continued with M.D. Jennings. Think of it this way... McMillian was the starter going into the season and GOT CUT... it was that bad. M.D. Jennings was BACKING UP a guy who GOT CUT half way into the season.

Even if Peppers duplicated his "bad year" this past season in Chicago, he still has the second most sacks on the Packers. He isn't Reggie White, but he is imposing and with Matthews playing opposite, you won't be able to double them both. I would take Peppers last season and be pretty darn happy.

Agree with everything you said, I still cant fathom how a starting safety(Started all 16 games, and the playoff game) cant have 1 pass deflection all season.

Thats the great thing about this Peppers signing is that he dosent have to light the league on fire, if he can just prevent opposing offenses from doubling Matthews all game and provide some pressure in the process the signing is a success.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #229 (permalink)

Quote:
its funny because the same people who bash Jennings and say "good luck in chicago, he was horrible" are the same ones talking like Peppers is the next Reggie white. Guys, reggie white was a FREAK.. he never declined as a player.. ever.

Peppers even in his prime took plays.. and entire games off. He decides when he wants to show up. Look at that last play against the Packers last year. he just bull dozed through and was almost on Rodges as he threw the ball. why did he not do that until the last play of the game?

If, he decides to actually play for you guys. that's awesome for you. Seriously. But the guy talks about how horrible the 3-4 is and how he does not want to play in a 3-4.. and then says all the right things when he is paid. Its lip service.

BTW, im sure he will burn the Bears the same way Cedric Benson only wanted to come to play when he played against us.. That kind of sucks.
The difference is that MD Jennings has never had any semblance of talent in the NFL. He's terrible, metrically equivalent to Chris Conte. Peppers is an eight-time Pro Bowler coming off of a down season (in which still was a very good season for just about anyone not named Julius Peppers). If he repeats last year, one of the worst of his career, that'll be a huge upgrade for the Pack.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #230 (permalink)
Banned

Why would you even bring up MD Jennings? That argument is truly irrelevent, Jennings should be a ST player at best. Packer fans have been saying that for a while now, Peppers at his best is a very good player in the NFL. He was horrible, based on statistics, Peppers didnt even have that bad of a season last year.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #231 (permalink)

Another question I have is: did Peppers' bad season last year have more to do with him getting older or because the Bears were going though a transition with a new coaching staff and some player issues? I didn't follow the Bears closely, but Urlacher was gone, Briggs was hurt for some of the season, and they had serious problems in the secondary.

I guess we will see how it pans out this year, but it seems to me that Chicago had some issues on that defense that had more to do with the pieces around Peppers than Peppers himself.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #232 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
Another question I have is: did Peppers' bad season last year have more to do with him getting older or because the Bears were going though a transition with a new coaching staff and some player issues? I didn't follow the Bears closely, but Urlacher was gone, Briggs was hurt for some of the season, and they had serious problems in the secondary.

I guess we will see how it pans out this year, but it seems to me that Chicago had some issues on that defense that had more to do with the pieces around Peppers than Peppers himself.

Based on what i have read, it was mostly the Bears defense being inept and Peppers being doubled every play. Statistics show he was at least average in both the run and the pass and last season was considered his worst.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #233 (permalink)

I don't know about you guys..but hearing about the psycho package being used with peppers and Matthews is making me wish we could skip spring and summer and get straight to some football!

Collecting Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Eddie Lacy and other Green Bay Packers
Brando19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #234 (permalink)

At least you guys know for the important 2 games against the Bears he will be so motivated that he will be back to his old self of looking like a God walking amongst mere mortals. Fantastic signing for that reason alone!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #235 (permalink)

Ain't no one like my bad Caruso?
Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #236 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConRyl View Post
Based on what i have read, it was mostly the Bears defense being inept and Peppers being doubled every play. Statistics show he was at least average in both the run and the pass and last season was considered his worst.
You are 50/50 on this.. The Bears defense (any defense really) starts with the line and ends with the line..The better the D-line plays the better everyone else looks. Peppers did not start declining last year. he started declining the year before. (2011) Most fans noticed it and talked about it on message boards. But there was always the argument that he was being double teamed. Well, as time went on.. teams stopped double teaming him.. everyone took notice. He still did not have a ton of impact out there.

Yes, there were a lot of problems on the Defense, he was only one of them. We are defiantly going through a transition and he simply is not part of it. I would have loved to keep him for the same price you guys are paying him but its sometimes better to just rip the band-aid off and force players to grow up..

Peppers is defiantly a solid player and is an upgrade for you guys. But, i just dont think he is the game changer you think he will be. Maybe he will come out and prove me wrong. But, I would put money on him being about the same type of player for you as he was for us. I really do think he just wanted one more payday. But, I'll admit that his 50% is better than a lot of guys 90%.. he is a freak when he wants to be.

I hope he lays a big hit on Stafford and whoever the Vikings are playing at QB for ya this year..
bstraw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:00 AM   #237 (permalink)

As far as I can tell, Peppers will wear #91.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:33 AM   #238 (permalink)

Quote:
You are 50/50 on this.. The Bears defense (any defense really) starts with the line and ends with the line..The better the D-line plays the better everyone else looks. Peppers did not start declining last year. he started declining the year before. (2011) Most fans noticed it and talked about it on message boards. But there was always the argument that he was being double teamed. Well, as time went on.. teams stopped double teaming him.. everyone took notice. He still did not have a ton of impact out there.

Yes, there were a lot of problems on the Defense, he was only one of them. We are defiantly going through a transition and he simply is not part of it. I would have loved to keep him for the same price you guys are paying him but its sometimes better to just rip the band-aid off and force players to grow up..

Peppers is defiantly a solid player and is an upgrade for you guys. But, i just dont think he is the game changer you think he will be. Maybe he will come out and prove me wrong. But, I would put money on him being about the same type of player for you as he was for us. I really do think he just wanted one more payday. But, I'll admit that his 50% is better than a lot of guys 90%.. he is a freak when he wants to be.

I hope he lays a big hit on Stafford and whoever the Vikings are playing at QB for ya this year..
His declining years where when he put up double digit sack numbers?....Thats how good this guy is!

Its a HUGE win either way for the Pack like many people have already stated, you have made the same argument. Peppers has the potential to be a game changer "when he wants to be" like you have stated....The Bears replaced him with a player that in his career has been good but never the proved to be anything close to what Peppers was when he was 26 and in his contract year put up similar numbers that Peppers did in what people are calling his worst year ever.

The Pack dont have to worry about Peppers potentially being inspired and chasing after Rodgers....They will get the Doubles off of Raji and Clay which will allow for more pressure and better play from our Defensive Back Field. There is no negative outside of him maybe getting injured which is the risk every team takes on all there players. We can now draft the Best Safety on the board which will be a major improvement over MD and just like that that TT did it again.....We got our Team ready for another SB Run!

I see how Bears fan try to spin it and I give you credit for atleast seeing some of the value Packer Fans and non Bears fan are seeing but the message is clear, The Bears are no where near better than they where with Peppers and The Packers are clearly better than they where before Peppers arrived.

Its nice to be a Packers Fan right now....we very rarely win in Free Agency.
NFL: Green Bay Packers

Last edited by pico04; 03-16-2014 at 02:38 AM.
pico04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #239 (permalink)

Man! What a year for us in Free Agency. At first I was hesitant to sign Peppers, but now I'm happy with that sign.

They cant spend to much this year, since Jordy and Randall are Free Agents next year.

After a heart-breaking 2013 GO PACK Go all the way in 2014. Bring the Lombardi Home.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #240 (permalink)

I have a good feeling about Chris Clemons. It's waaaay too quiet on his front. That's usually when the Thompson strikes.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #241 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolrobb View Post
I have a good feeling about Chris Clemons. It's waaaay too quiet on his front. That's usually when the Thompson strikes.
I haven't heard his name come up all offseason.

To be honest, I didn't even know that Peppers visited the Packers either.

Green Bay seems to fly under the radar in terms of visits.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #242 (permalink)

Packers beefed up the front line again today, bringing in Letroy Guion on a one-year deal. Don't know a whole lot about him, but anything to help the run defense.

On even better news, Marshall Newhouse is visiting the Bengals...it'll be one of the best days ever when he signs a deal away from Green Bay.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #243 (permalink)

I just read the specifics about the Peppers contract, and I am EXTREMELY happy. Ted really did this deal the right way. Peppers base salary for the 2014 season is ONLY $1M, and the cap hit is just $3.5M. That means we retain more money for free agency and drafting for THIS season. Next 2 seasons his money REALLY starts rolling in, and I think he will be well worth the coin we spent to get him.

Here is a link: Contract Details: Peppers, Cook, McClain - Pro Football Rumors
Old 03-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #244 (permalink)

James Jones bringing his talents to the black hole.

We need to bring in a WR. I'd anticipate one coming relatively early in the draft (2nd or 3rd round)
Old 03-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #245 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolrobb View Post
James Jones bringing his talents to the black hole.

We need to bring in a WR. I'd anticipate one coming relatively early in the draft (2nd or 3rd round)
I agree one needs to be brought in, but I wouldn't say it's a pressing need with Jordy, Cobb, and Boykin all coming back. Hell, Rodgers made Myles White look like a legitimate receiver last year.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #246 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
I agree one needs to be brought in, but I wouldn't say it's a pressing need with Jordy, Cobb, and Boykin all coming back. Hell, Rodgers made Myles White look like a legitimate receiver last year.
not the most pressing for sure. that would be Safety, ILB, and TE. I would put it right behind those 3 though.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #247 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
I would like to see what we have in Chris Harper.

He was fourth round pick by the Seahawks, got cut, signed to the practice squad, signed by the Niners from the Hawks squad, got cut, then signed with Green Bay.

He could be a wild card.

Kevin Dorsey could be interesting as well.

I really wish the Brownies didn't steal Charles Johnson from us. He had monster measurables out of GVSU, but got hurt in camp so had to go to the practice squad. I really wanted to see what GB had in him.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #248 (permalink)
Banned

Im happy for James Jones, he was always a class act in GB and deserves to get a payday and be a #1 for a team that needs one. I honestly dont think the Packers were terribly interested in bringing him back, even though there were a couple of reports stating that they were interested in retaining him. Im interested in seeing the numbers.

Back to the Peppers thing, the way that contract is structured is a VERY team friendly deal. A lot of people are just looking at the lump sum and going from there, but in all reality its a 1 year deal and if Peppers does make it to year 2 or 3 he will have been playing great and it would be worth every penny for GB.

Im ok with the Guion deal, dosent really change much going into the draft or even later in FA. I would still like to bring Jolly back if he is healthy. Guion provides a solid interior pass rush in a mold that is different than what we have had in the past, he is alittle leaner and longer which I know McCarthy and Co. stated they wanted to get this offseason. This compares well to the Phillip Merling or Anthony Hargrove deals from years past. If he plys well great, he is a cheap quality player, if he dosent play well he gets cut and it really dosent affect the Packers financially.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #249 (permalink)

Sad to see James Jones go, he was solid and made some INCREDIBLE circus catches... but also dropped some incredibly clean passes (XLV omg... ). I think our primary 3 will be Nelson, Cobb, and Boykin with HOPEFULLY Tryone Walker in the mix somewhere. I really liked what I saw from him in preseason last year.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #250 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoCheese View Post
Sad to see James Jones go, he was solid and made some INCREDIBLE circus catches... but also dropped some incredibly clean passes (XLV omg... ). I think our primary 3 will be Nelson, Cobb, and Boykin with HOPEFULLY Tryone Walker in the mix somewhere. I really liked what I saw from him in preseason last year.

Jones had a really bad run to the Superbowl that year(except the Falcons game). It seemed like every game he dropped a crucial pass. Im happy that he did clean up the problem with the drops the pass couple of years though.

I would LOVE if the Packers could get Jordan Matthews, I feel that he is the closest to a Packers type WR in this draft. He reminds me a bit of Jordy Nelson.