Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #76 (permalink)

Bulaga has been decent at best imo. Using a r1 pick on a RT isnt what you want. not the worst thing in the world, but not ideal. Yes, I know he was slated to be LT this past year, but I dont know if anyone was really all the sold on the prospect. His arms are pretty short so he will struggle mightily with the premier edge rushers. I would be THRILLED to be wrong on this though. If Bulaga exceeds expectations, we could go Bulaga-Sitton-C (TBD) - Lang- Bahktiari would be great bang for the buck.

Sherrod will make a great mashing guard if he can come back from the leg, but big guys with spiral fractures don't often make it back.

I really doubt Ted will get Byrd, who will probably be looking for top of the market prices, which we never pay. Maybe we get lucky and nab TJ Ward. That's a more realistic TT move.

Just give me a heads up, I'll crap the booze out, have a mint, good to go.
davidsemo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #77 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
All due to Marshall "Turnstyle" Newhouse getting beat like a redheaded stepchild.

He is the one player who can go and never come back.

Him and MD Jennings. How can you be a starting safety for an entire season and not have one pass deflection?

I would be open to signing Delmas if the contract demands aren't super high, this FA safety class is pretty good this year. I think Ted Thompson has to get some kind of veteran presence in there this upcoming season. The Packers probably only have around 5-6 more seasons of elite Aaron Rodgers and the draft and develop method worked for awhile but I think you have to start signing some FA's at some point. Just don't go all Washington Redskins and overpay for every FA on the Market.

I do think a lot of that $30 Million is going to be spent resigning players in house, mainly Shields and I could see them trying to extend Cobb and Nelson as well.
ConRyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #78 (permalink)

Shields is #1, Cobb and Nelson do need to be extended but if we can wait until next season to get more cap room I say that would be the way to go. Nelson is signed through the 2014 season and Cobb through the 2015 season (I think.). Maybe we can do something to atleast get Nelson locked up for a couple more years.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoCheese View Post
Shields is #1, Cobb and Nelson do need to be extended but if we can wait until next season to get more cap room I say that would be the way to go. Nelson is signed through the 2014 season and Cobb through the 2015 season (I think.). Maybe we can do something to atleast get Nelson locked up for a couple more years.
I think they are both due at the end of next season.

I hope Nelson gets locked up again. The guy has an extremely reasonable contract and he seems like he doesn't want to go anywhere else, so I can't see it not getting done. He balled out last season and if he can stay healthy, he has the ability to play well into his 30s.

Plus, my PC really depends on it!
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #80 (permalink)

Nelson and cobb are not going anywhere they will retire as packers. Nelson wont pull that crap that jennings did.
nickha2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #81 (permalink)
Banned

I don't think they are going anywhere, it would go against everything Ted Thompson believes in which is drafting and then keeping those players in house for the remainder of their careers(Excluding Jennings). There really shouldn't be a reason for not resigning thee guys because there should be money for them with the way the Packers avoid FA's
Old 02-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConRyl View Post
I don't think they are going anywhere, it would go against everything Ted Thompson believes in which is drafting and then keeping those players in house for the remainder of their careers(Excluding Jennings). There really shouldn't be a reason for not resigning thee guys because there should be money for them with the way the Packers avoid FA's
I guess, to be fair, Thompson did make a pretty good offer to Jennings but he got greedy, found out the market was soft, and settled for less with Minnesota.

It worked out pretty well because he was expendable.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #83 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I guess, to be fair, Thompson did make a pretty good offer to Jennings but he got greedy, found out the market was soft, and settled for less with Minnesota.

Yes he did, should be a good example of why taking alittle less money could be worth it for overall team success and playing with the best QB in the league.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:

I heard Jennings ended up with more money, but only slightly more. However, he got to experience some terrible QBs and a poopy record!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #85 (permalink)

https://twitter.com/BrianCarriveau/s...06607890362368

Quote:
Per @TomSilverstein #Packers CB Sam Shields is looking for a deal on par w/ the Bears' Tim Jennings, 4 years, $22.4M. Averages $5.6M/year.
Also...

Jordy Nelson extension a Green Bay Packers priority - NFL.com

Quote:
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that the Packers view an extension for receiver Jordy Nelson as a priority, per a person informed of the team's plans.
Woohoo!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #86 (permalink)

Great news about Jordy, I hope a deal gets finalized soon!

Recently, we re-signed Chris Banjo. I don't know how I feel about this. He was part of a weak secondary, but he wasn't terrible. Atleast he signed for the league minimum (still half a million...) so if he tanks we aren't out tons of cash. We also signed RB Michael Hill. I don't know much of Hill but with Lacy, Starks, Harris, and Franklin in the backfield, I think Hill is in for a fight.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoCheese View Post
Great news about Jordy, I hope a deal gets finalized soon!

Recently, we re-signed Chris Banjo. I don't know how I feel about this. He was part of a weak secondary, but he wasn't terrible. Atleast he signed for the league minimum (still half a million...) so if he tanks we aren't out tons of cash. We also signed RB Michael Hill. I don't know much of Hill but with Lacy, Starks, Harris, and Franklin in the backfield, I think Hill is in for a fight.
I think Chris Banjo wasn't that bad. I think our secondary was awful before he came too. I think Morgan Burnett could play a lot better if we had some experience back there. I really wanted Jarius Byrd for that reason specifically.

In other news, just got this nice Cobb Pick-Up
2013 Topps Museum Collection Randall Cobb 2color Jumbo Jersey card 25/25
raydawg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #88 (permalink)

Sam Shields to test the free agent market. Where do you think he'll end up and what is Green Bay going to do if it isn't with them?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #89 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Jason La Canfora ‏ @ JasonLaCanfora 21m
With Packers having difficulty locking up CB Sam Shields prior to market opening, I'd expect the Browns to be among his chief suitors
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #90 (permalink)

On the plus side it looks like Byrd will hit the open market. If raji and shields are gone then we definitely have the money to get this done. We could use a 3x pro bowler at safety for sure.
packerfan4200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #91 (permalink)

Seriously hoping Washington drops the ball with Orakpo.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #92 (permalink)

I think Shields will be back...

He has Rosenhaus as an agent so I think GB knew from the beginning that this was going to be a pain in the ass.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #93 (permalink)

Idk if shields will come back. Rosenhaus players tend to go for money grabs. It's the nfl, so i can't really blame the players for it, just how the business goes. I think SS is worth Tim Jennings money. If he's going for more than that, he can enjoy cleveland.

Orakpo is great if we get him for little guaranteed years or cash. (Cliff Avril type contract). Jarius Bryd would be worth the coin though.

Just give me a heads up, I'll crap the booze out, have a mint, good to go.
davidsemo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #94 (permalink)

Hate rosenthal and all other agents like him cough scott boras cough
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #95 (permalink)
Banned

I dont see Shields leaving GB, I just dont think he was worth giving the franchise tag and getting top corner money.

Apparently, I read that he is looking for around what Tim Jennings got (4 years, 22.5 million). I honestly think that would be a fair price for a CB like Shields.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsemo View Post
Idk if shields will come back. Rosenhaus players tend to go for money grabs. It's the nfl, so i can't really blame the players for it, just how the business goes. I think SS is worth Tim Jennings money. If he's going for more than that, he can enjoy cleveland.

Orakpo is great if we get him for little guaranteed years or cash. (Cliff Avril type contract). Jarius Bryd would be worth the coin though.
You would think players would take a few million dollar hit to go to a good team situation (Green Bay vs. Cleveland/Oakland)...

Then again, it only takes one team to SEVERELY overpay for him to not pass up on the cash. If someone like the Raiders swoops in with a ton of cash (think $10 million per year vs. probably 6 to 7 million from GB), I can't really blame him.

I just can't help but think that announcing this before the weekend even started makes me think that Rosenhaus was negotiating in bad faith and had no intention to get a deal done. I know he is doing what is best for the player, so I can't be too upset, I guess. I just think Shields was the one player GB had to resign and now that is in doubt.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #97 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You would think players would take a few million dollar hit to go to a good team situation (Green Bay vs. Cleveland/Oakland)...

Then again, it only takes one team to SEVERELY overpay for him to not pass up on the cash. If someone like the Raiders swoops in with a ton of cash (think $10 million per year vs. probably 6 to 7 million from GB), I can't really blame him.

I just can't help but think that announcing this before the weekend even started makes me think that Rosenhaus was negotiating in bad faith and had no intention to get a deal done. I know he is doing what is best for the player, so I can't be too upset, I guess. I just think Shields was the one player GB had to resign and now that is in doubt.

Just look at Greg Jennings, if I was a Packers WR(or just player period for that matter) I would look at his situation and maybe it would be worth it too take 1-2 million less and have more team success long term.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConRyl View Post
Just look at Greg Jennings, if I was a Packers WR(or just player period for that matter) I would look at his situation and maybe it would be worth it too take 1-2 million less and have more team success long term.
I think Greg was pissed because he discovered that he was replaceable and we were doing OK with out him. So, when the time to renew the contract rolled around he wanted to try to give us the middle finger. That didn't work out too well and I think that Greg knows that (hence the MNF chat after the game.)

The same can't really be said about Shields. Sure, we can get another CB to fill his role, but he won't be replaced. Shields has great instincts, speed, and can make the BIG play when it is needed. That can't all be duplicated and found in one person too often.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #99 (permalink)

Orakpo has been tagged by Washington. The Bills however will not tag Byrd.
Another free agent I think we should take note... The Raiders have not tagged Jared Veldheer. If Green Bay intends to spend big those two names I think shouldn't go unnoticed. Can you imagine Veldheer starting in place of David Bakhtiari?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #100 (permalink)
Banned

I think we let shields go... hope to god we bring in Byrd
sljock53 is offline   Reply With Quote