Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConRyl View Post
I don't see the Packers signing Byrd with the rest of the players the Packers have to resign(Kuhn, Quarless, Neal, etc).

I just want to see the Packers address the safety situation either through a cheaper FA(Clemens from Mia would be nice) or through the draft(Mainly one or possibly two of Clinton-Dix, Ward,Pryor, Buchannon)

Also don't see why the Packers would sign Tillman, he would probably be the 3rd or maybe even 4th best CB on the team and would be getting paid like he is 1 or a 2.
The Packers won't get Byrd, but they have the money to do it if they wanted to, but I just think someone is going to overpay to get him.

I think they will go a bit deeper in the safety pool, but they will get a serviceable guy. They could put a scarecrow back there and have it perform better than MD Jennings. The Packers still have nearly $27 million of cap room for this season and they still HAVE to spend $11 million to get to the minimum.

They should be able to resign most of their guys for under $11 million if they want them back. I don't see anyone outside of EDS getting much more than a vet minimum.
freethrowtommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #127 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
The Packers won't get Byrd, but they have the money to do it if they wanted to, but I just think someone is going to overpay to get him.

I think they will go a bit deeper in the safety pool, but they will get a serviceable guy. They could put a scarecrow back there and have it perform better than MD Jennings. The Packers still have nearly $27 million of cap room for this season and they still HAVE to spend $11 million to get to the minimum.

They should be able to resign most of their guys for under $11 million if they want them back. I don't see anyone outside of EDS getting much more than a vet minimum.

The could sign Byrd, but it wouldn't be the best decision, IMO. If the Packers do sign Byrd, they will probably lose Cobb, Nelson, or Bulaga.

I would love if the Packers brought in Arthur Jones, he probably won't be real cheap but he would fit the Packers defense perfectly.

I could definitely see Neal getting more than EDS in free agency, high risk high reward type of player.
ConRyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #128 (permalink)

Arthur Jones would be a good econo-fit for us. I think we are all being pretty realistic about Jarius Byrd. Would be totally out of character for TT to shell out that much money and risk the cash which was ear marked for Cobb and Jordy. I actually wouldn't mind us grabbing an Olineman or two. I know we like to stay cheap, but there is a lot of talent available and lord knows we need it. Bulaga will stay at RT, and having another big body would be a nice add.

Just give me a heads up, I'll crap the booze out, have a mint, good to go.
davidsemo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #129 (permalink)

maybe this season will finally be the one where Ted spends some money in free agency. I can honestly say I have never seen so many rumors of the Packers being interested in players. Usually we don't hear a peep.

So far:

John Carlson
Lamarr Houston
Arthur Jones
Garrett Graham
Old 03-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #130 (permalink)

Ok, if we want to be BIG spenders in F/A this season do we make a play at Jared Allen or DeMarcus Ware? Both could hit the open market, both would add some major pass rush to aide Clay Matthews.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoCheese View Post
Ok, if we want to be BIG spenders in F/A this season do we make a play at Jared Allen or DeMarcus Ware? Both could hit the open market, both would add some major pass rush to aide Clay Matthews.
I would love to see Jared Allen in a Packers uni but I doubt it will happen. I can dream though

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:24 AM   #132 (permalink)

IMO never ever ever draft for position draft for talent. If you have 6 studly wr's you can easily make trades to get something you need out of players that have already proven themselves. If you have one Safety that is a bust well you are stuck with that Safety until next year maybe longer. Just my opinion but I could care less who we draft this current team we have is made of toothpicks... Id rather see them stay healthy
Man in the Mirror Brando19 MarshallCutler6 Nephinfan
DieselPack1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
I would love to see Jared Allen in a Packers uni but I doubt it will happen. I can dream though
seems like Jared wouldn't mind it either. With the Packers transition to more of a 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense, it could make sense at the right price.

A league source tells the Packer Report that Green Bay, Tampa Bay, New England, and the Giants are free agent Jared Allen's "wish list."

Packer Report's Bill Huber allows that Denver could be Allen's "potential fifth suitor." Allen is clearly targeting contender-type teams only, suggesting he is willing to play for less than a premium price. The Buccaneers, Patriots, and Broncos make the most sense because they run 4-3 defenses.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolrobb View Post
seems like Jared wouldn't mind it either. With the Packers transition to more of a 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense, it could make sense at the right price.

A league source tells the Packer Report that Green Bay, Tampa Bay, New England, and the Giants are free agent Jared Allen's "wish list."

Packer Report's Bill Huber allows that Denver could be Allen's "potential fifth suitor." Allen is clearly targeting contender-type teams only, suggesting he is willing to play for less than a premium price. The Buccaneers, Patriots, and Broncos make the most sense because they run 4-3 defenses.
He is probably to the point where he wants to get a ring. I see him going to a contender somewhere.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
He is probably to the point where he wants to get a ring. I see him going to a contender somewhere.
Hopefully the Packers. Clay and Jared Allen would be TERRIFYING!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #136 (permalink)

The Packers extended the original pick tender to restricted free agent LB Jamari Lattimore.

Lattimore, a core special teamer and backup linebacker, will earn $1.431 million in 2014. Most expected the Packers to let him walk in free agency. Lattimore was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Middle Tennessee State.

Yikes, that's a bit more than he's worth IMO. Hopefully this is just a prelude to an extension at a lower base salary.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #137 (permalink)

DeMarcus Ware cut, Packers to make offer? Who would you rather have out of Ware or Allen? Personally I lean towards Allen because he seems to be less injured throughout his career and has been more consistent.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #138 (permalink)

Byrd looks to be getting set to make a deal with the Eagles >.< The Redskins are making offers, but it from what I have read Byrd isn't liking what they are offering. I guess the Packers either never made an offer, or their offer wasn't news worthy.

Currently, I am holding out hope of landing either Ware or Allen, as previously stated. I know I sound like a broken record over here, but I gotta keep my hope alive!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #139 (permalink)

I am having the feeling that this will be another ho hum offseason despite the noise that the Packers were going to make moves...
Old 03-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
I am having the feeling that this will be another ho hum offseason despite the noise that the Packers were going to make moves...
We still have Ware and Allen floating around out there, as well as Hester, right? Those were 3 big names that I had on my radar.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #141 (permalink)

Dietrich Smith and Finley will be gone. Ted needs to spend one of these years, the window is starting to close

At least we kept Lattimore
dherm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherm360 View Post
Dietrich Smith and Finley will be gone. Ted needs to spend one of these years, the window is starting to close

At least we kept Lattimore
Agreed. I liked what I saw last season from Lattimore. He has some REAL potential to grow.

As far as a Center goes, I agree we AT WORST need to retain EDS. I would like to get someone else at Center, but I don't know WHO is out there that would be better than EDS and drafting a rookie Center is scary. It can either work really really well or be a nightmare.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #143 (permalink)

I thought this offseason might be different with a ton of money to spend, but I guess not.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #144 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
As far as a Center goes, I agree we AT WORST need to retain EDS. I would like to get someone else at Center, but I don't know WHO is out there that would be better than EDS and drafting a rookie Center is scary. It can either work really really well or be a nightmare.
If EDS does leave, I can pretty much guarantee that JC Tretter will step in from day 1 at center. It seems like the Packers staff loves the guy and I think it would be a cheaper, younger alternative.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #145 (permalink)
Banned

Im still holding hope that the Packers can sign Chris Clemens from Miami. He would be a cheap quality FS to pair with Burnett.

For all the people that want Allen and Ware. I can pretty much guarantee its not going to happen. You cant have one of those type of guys paired up with Clay. A team like Minnesota or even Chicago will gash that with the run all day. If anyone in FA that I would like it would be Woodley because he could hold up in the run to go along with the pass rush. I also think Packer fans need to learn alittle but more about Nick Perry, he is the perfect compliment to Clay if he can stay healthy.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
I thought this offseason might be different with a ton of money to spend, but I guess not.
Sometimes Teddy Thompson and the Packers like to act like a Cobra. Waiting the strike until the opportune moment. Think back to Aaron Rodgers' contract this last offseason. I guarantee the Packers will pull a whopper out of the F/A market.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConRyl View Post
Im still holding hope that the Packers can sign Chris Clemens from Miami. He would be a cheap quality FS to pair with Burnett.

For all the people that want Allen and Ware. I can pretty much guarantee its not going to happen. You cant have one of those type of guys paired up with Clay. A team like Minnesota or even Chicago will gash that with the run all day. If anyone in FA that I would like it would be Woodley because he could hold up in the run to go along with the pass rush. I also think Packer fans need to learn alittle but more about Nick Perry, he is the perfect compliment to Clay if he can stay healthy.
I think if we do land Ware or Allen, you get creative with Zone Blitzeseses and drop Clay into coverage or a spy. He is pretty good against the run, and it is a great defensive mind. That would keep the opposing offense honest, not to mention on plays where you drop Clay back into coverage you could send Hyde or Burnett, they are both pretty good blitzers.

As far as Perry goes, I am of two minds here. I am a Perry believer, and think his MAIN strength is rushing the passer. His coverage skills need some work, and he makes some boneheaded plays. I also wish he could stay healthy.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #148 (permalink)
Banned

Today is Free Agent Tuesday in the NFL... and just a regular Tuesday for the Packers lol SMH I wish we would figure out that signing FA's is huge and thats how you make deep playoff runs!!!!
sljock53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #149 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoCheese View Post
I think if we do land Ware or Allen, you get creative with Zone Blitzeseses and drop Clay into coverage or a spy. He is pretty good against the run, and it is a great defensive mind. That would keep the opposing offense honest, not to mention on plays where you drop Clay back into coverage you could send Hyde or Burnett, they are both pretty good blitzers.

As far as Perry goes, I am of two minds here. I am a Perry believer, and think his MAIN strength is rushing the passer. His coverage skills need some work, and he makes some boneheaded plays. I also wish he could stay healthy.
The thing with signing Ware or Allen is still that we would get gashed in the run, it would be even worse if we blitzed Hyde or Burnett and let Allen or Ware drop back in coverage(both players are terrible in coverage/shouldn't be doing it.).

Perry is the most stout player the Packers have at OLB. No player at OLB can hold the edge and keep contain like Perry. He really shouldnt be dropping into coverage that often, as a 4-3 DE in college he still really raw at OLB.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #150 (permalink)
Banned

My dream scenario would be this...

Resign Raji and move him back to NT where he is most effective
Resign Jolly to a high incentive contract
Sign Chris Clemons(Would love Byrd but the $ amount is just to much)
Sign Randy Starks(Or substitute a quality 3-4 DE FA for cheap)
Draft Mosely at 21
Draft Buchannon, Ward, etc.(The best quality safety available to groom behind Clemons)
Draft Jordan Matthews to replace James Jones/Draft CJ Fredowitz(Sp?) or best Tight End to replace Finley