Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Green Bay Packers 2014 Off-Season Discussion Thread!

I will start it off this year, as I could not find any threads started for THIS off-season. Apologies if a thread has already been made and I just missed it. If so, please merge or delete this thread.

Lets talk draft, we pick at #21 this year. Do we trade Raji or James Jones to get another pick in the 1st round? Do we trade 2nd or 3rd round picks to move up in the draft? It is brutally obvious that we need to focus on defense again in this draft. We NEED a Safety and more pass rush. Perry looks to be OK and Matthews when healthy will be beastly, but our D-Line is just NOT getting it done. Mike Daniels was easily our best D-lineman and he wasn't even a starter.

We also need to address the holes in our O-line. Bulaga will hopefully be ready to grab 2014 by the horns in week 1 of 2014, but he is a bug guy with a VERY significant injury and no telling how he recovers. The other enigma is Derek Sherrod. I don't know what to think about him. He came back briefly for this season... but it looks like he is not panning out. This guy was our #1 pick in 2011. We HAVE to either make him work or replace him.

I think, besides the O-line we are pretty set on offense. We are stacked at WR even if James Jones gets let go. Jarrett Boykin has filled in amazingly, Cobb looks stellar and Nelson is the king of the airways. Also I am VERY pleasantly surprised with Quarless and how he filled in. We have had him since 2010 but when he needed to step up he did. I also hope that we can get Tyrone Walker and Miles White into the mix as I think they have a lot of potential.

As far as defense goes I am really torn. I think we should resign Tramon Williams as he has really stepped up big time. AJ Hawk is also a guy that I really like and I think he doesn't get near as much praise as he should. I think he brings more intangibles to the defense that anything else, but he also is a steady tackler. I am not super knowledgeable about defensive schemes and how players fit so maybe someone else can enlighten us on D better than I.

Thanks and lets talk PACKERS!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think we should cut M.D Jennings and draft a safety in first round. Or even see how Sean Richardson does or even move Micah Hyde to safety with Morgan Burnett!
raydawg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Clue words....MATTHEWS HEALTHY. How many games has he missed?
P.47
brett06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Update your sig Brett! It's 15-0 bud. Or just wait til tomorrow night and switch it to 16-0
packerfan4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

I really hope bulaga comes back fine, he was a big loss this year. We need a pass rusher and some competent DBs in a bad way, totally agree
packerfan4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Which one of you is this?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfan4200 View Post
Update your sig Brett! It's 15-0 bud. Or just wait til tomorrow night and switch it to 16-0
This is very true. Must not have saved it. Thanks
P.47
brett06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBLeeDBaTTLeReD View Post
Which one of you is this?

A ha ha ha
John 12:25-26 "Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life."
nateyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

The defense needs alot of work. There are a bunch of holes out there, some because of injury, some because of lack of talent. Either way, we need some changes out there. Honestly, other than Matthews, Hawk, and Jolly, all the other posistions could use an upgrade. Now, that isn't to say some guys played well in spots. I liked some of the things that Datone Jones, Mike Daniels, Andy Mulumba, Micah Hyde and a few other guys did this year, but they didn't play well consistantly. Defense needs to get better, plain and simple. There were several games this year down the stretch that we could have won but our D couldn't get off the field.....The first Bears game when Rodgers was hurt and the playoff game jump out at me. Good teams make those plays.

Another sore spot was special teams. Seemed like every game the other team started at the 30 yard line, while we consistantly started at the 20 yard line or back further. Crosby and Mathsay were exceptional this year, it was the coverage and return game. Part of that was missing Cobb most of the year, but when he wasn't returning kicks it was ugly for the most part.
Swaggerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydawg24 View Post
I think we should cut M.D Jennings and draft a safety in first round. Or even see how Sean Richardson does or even move Micah Hyde to safety with Morgan Burnett!
I love this idea. Micah has a GREAT nose for the ball. Sure he missed that key INT during that final drive but he has been really awesome for us. He also could be great on blitzes, like a LeRoy Butler 2.0 or Charles Woodosn 2.0 as far as that is concerned.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoCheese View Post
I love this idea. Micah has a GREAT nose for the ball. Sure he missed that key INT during that final drive but he has been really awesome for us. He also could be great on blitzes, like a LeRoy Butler 2.0 or Charles Woodosn 2.0 as far as that is concerned.
It will all depend on what happens with Tramon.

If we keep Tramon, I am all for moving Hyde to safety to keep him in the game. Kid is smart and can tackle better than any DB in the league.

If we let Tramon go, he needs to stay at Corner.

I think a lot will depend on how the draft falls as well. If the Packers can get a decent safety in the draft, they would be best served to keep Hyde at CB.

Good CBs are much harder to find than Safeties.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'd trade James Jones for a "shiny new penny" if I could.

I like Hyde, he does remind me a lot of a Woodson type player. How bad would things have without him this year?

They've been addressing the D for past 2 drafts and not a whole lot has come out of it. (Perry, Worthy, Neal, Datone Jones, ect.) They've actually found a lot of value in lower picks or FA's like Hyde.

I think Sherrod is done, Bulaga back would be nice, probably move the Rookie over to the Right side.

How about Sam Shields? I think he's a restricted or unrestricted FA this year. He was pretty solid overall, but he was playing for a contract too.

Great thread btw! Just need to keep the "haters" out to get a real discussion going.

Cards for trade or sale:
http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/ss121/titletowncards/
titletowncards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Boykin will take James Jones' spot. Need to find a pass rush, our DBs are average but look terrible when the QB has 6 seconds to throw the ball.
RB has been solved and I think OL with Bulaga will be fine. Need a heavy hitter on Defense.

So far the four mock drafts I have seen, two have them taking a TE and two a CB
dherm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by titletowncards View Post
I'd trade James Jones for a "shiny new penny" if I could.

I like Hyde, he does remind me a lot of a Woodson type player. How bad would things have without him this year?

They've been addressing the D for past 2 drafts and not a whole lot has come out of it. (Perry, Worthy, Neal, Datone Jones, ect.) They've actually found a lot of value in lower picks or FA's like Hyde.

I think Sherrod is done, Bulaga back would be nice, probably move the Rookie over to the Right side.

How about Sam Shields? I think he's a restricted or unrestricted FA this year. He was pretty solid overall, but he was playing for a contract too.

Great thread btw! Just need to keep the "haters" out to get a real discussion going.
Shields is unrestricted... but GB NEEDS to get a deal done to bring him back. He was one of our best defenders this year.

I think they let Raji walk (or he comes crawling back when he finds out nobody is going to pay him 8 mill per year).
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Shields 110% needs to be resigned. He pretty much saved our season with that INT in Dallas. I say Tramon gets resigned too. He really stepped up this season and got back to his 2010 self. With Tramon and Shields at corner, with Hayward coming back to play nickle we will be GREAT at CB. REALLY need to figure our the Safety situation.

If Raji is unwilling to take a smaller contract I say let him walk and get signed by ANYONE. Mike Daniels made his case. He played great this season and last season he had that HUGE FR TD vs. the Lions in the snow.

I really hope that Capers either goes to DC class and learns how to contain read-option / scrambles or we get a new DC. Granted he had to work with a depleted defense and HAS HAD TO, but we still get burnt by the same plays every year. Do the Packers go after Zimmer, Philips, or do we sign someone out of the college ranks who understands the read-option and how to defend it?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

We need lots of Help at Inside LB Hawk has been solid but we need someone else there... Also we need lots of help at Safety, since Collins has gone down NO one has been able to replace him
sljock53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sljock53;6420312[B
]We need lots of Help at Inside LB[/B] Hawk has been solid but we need someone else there... Also we need lots of help at Safety, since Collins has gone down NO one has been able to replace him
If I am reading a list correctly, it looks like Jon Beason is a UFA. He could really bolster the ILB ranks. Brian Orakpo is also available.

As far as safety, Donte Whitner is available... hate the 49ers but he could be a very positive addition. This is all based on the theory that Ted Thompson uses the FA pool.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

What happens to Bahktiari now that Bulaga is coming back?
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
What happens to Bahktiari now that Bulaga is coming back?
he stays at lt, bulaga goes BACK to rt where he has already played.
Powell7db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

We should keep Dom Capers at Coordinator. Injures played a key role in the bad play at defense.

We need to draft a TE or Safety in the first round if Finley doesn't come back. My pick for TE would be Eric Ebron from UNC, and a my Safety pick would be Ha-Shean Clinton-Dix from Alabama. Further in the draft we need a defensive lineman to help Raji. A lineman I think they should choose is Ra'Shead Hageman. We're fine at corner when Casey Heyward comes back. Our offense is set and the only thing we might need is a offensive lineman. I think they should choose James Hurst from UNC.

I think they should re-sign Raji, Kuhn, and James Jones. They should probably sign or trade for a veteran safety because I think our secondary is why we lost to the 49ers.

So with Eddie Lacy running, Rodgers and Clay Matthews healthy, a new and improved secondary the Packers are set for a Super Bowl Run!!

Last edited by RelicCollector; 01-07-2014 at 07:52 PM.
RelicCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoCheese View Post
If I am reading a list correctly, it looks like Jon Beason is a UFA. He could really bolster the ILB ranks. Brian Orakpo is also available.

As far as safety, Donte Whitner is available... hate the 49ers but he could be a very positive addition. This is all based on the theory that Ted Thompson uses the FA pool.
When was the last time that we used the FA pool wisely? Charles Woodson? And the only reason he came here was because no one else offered him anything lol I remembered him saying GB was the last place I wanted to go out of all the teams that were interested in him... but since they were the only team to offer he had no choice... he was pretty happy he made that choice! SO maaybe lol
sljock53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

I'd love for us to be very aggressive in free agency. orakpo would be the perfect fit for our D. I'd also like them to sign a safety there are 2 or 3 good ones in this upcoming free agency class
Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #23 (permalink)

I think the most important thing is speed on the defense. How many times was Hawk late to the tackle or missed it completely? Regularly, constantly! Look at the top defensive teams, young and speed. You do not need the big bodies anymore except your run stuffer at nose tackle. We have that in Raji, but I think he is going to be looking for a big payday. Also seems like they have drafted poorly. Nick Perry and Datone Jones, young talent, but they haven't exactly shown it. The Packers have always had big bodies, lets get some speed. There are several young Linebackers that are 6'1" and 245, speed and exceptional tackling abilities. Look at who the Packers passed on the last few years. Now we have Perry and Jones, those guys are not going to run Kaepernick down. Tired of my Brother texting and calling me rubbing it in everytime we play the Niners.

Kevin

Last edited by KevJo; 01-07-2014 at 11:46 PM.
KevJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Talking about free agency...Ted Thompson is still the GM, and he doesn't deal in free agency. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Offensively, I can't really think of anything Green Bay needs. Even the beaten-to-hell offensive line played pretty well. Later round draft picks on interior linemen would be fine by me, but it doesn't need to be addressed significantly, in my opinion.

The draft has to be all about the defense...safety play NEEDS to be addressed. I love the idea about moving Hyde to safety with Hayward coming back. Draft secondary and inside defense, meaning inside linebacking and interior lineman. Clearly, there's enough options at outside linebacker having addressed it repeatedly. Also am against firing Capers...he does a nice job, but has nothing to work with.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #25 (permalink)

ted needs to cut the crap and sign free agents and let the 5th-7th round scraps fill holes if the free agents and real starters get hurt. our defense needs scary linebackers like the steelers had in the mid 2000's. aj hawk is our best LB (clay is hurt too much to matter) so that means our secondary has to watch the backfield and keep an eye on the RB and QB because the LB suck. jerron mcmillan should have been cut after week 1. Finley replacement should have been tyler eifert and keep in mind im a HUGE HUGE Finley backer.

TED-BARELY PROVEN COLLEGE PLAYERS GET HURT IN THE NFL SO USE THE EXTRA MILLIONS ON HEALTHY FREE AGENTS BEFORE OUR DEFENSE BECOMES THE PERPETUAL PATRIOTS/MANNING ERA COLTS REVOLVING DOOR OF HALF-ASS D. THE UNDRAFTED ROOKIES CAN BACK THEM UP. IT MAKES MORE SENSE THAN THEM STARTING WHEN OUR 5-7th ROUND DrAFT PICKS GET HURT. CHARLES WOODSON AT SAFETY AND JOHN ABRAHAM AT LB AND HASSELBACK AT QB WOULD HAVE MADE US THIS YEAR. PINCH PENNIES AT PICK N SAVE TED. NOT ON OUR TEAM