Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Something to Talk About: Richard Sherman — And His Card Values — Speak Volumes

Something to Talk About: Richard Sherman — And His Card Values — Speak Volumes
Jan 20th 2014, 21:54, by Tracy Hackler

As far as Sunday nights go, Richard Sherman’s was pretty spectacular. First, the Seattle Seahawks extraordinary and exuberant cornerback delivered a game-clinching, turnover-inducing tip against the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship Game to secure his team’s berth in Super Bowl XLVIII. Then, he sent shock waves throughout the social media universe with a heated postgame interview for the ages.
A few hours later, Sherman had people buzzing again, this time in collecting circles, when one of his autographed Rookie Cards from Panini America’s 2013 Contenders Football release sold on eBay for a staggering $1,475.01. That’s not a misprint. One thousand. Four hundred. Seventy-five. Dollars. The appropriate response — whether you’re watching Sherman make plays or watching one of his autographed trading cards close at auction — is “Wow!”

That otherworldly, almost-$1,500 sale price is easily a record figure paid for a modern-era trading card of a defensive back, and it’s the exclamation point on a trend toward big-bucks Panini America Sherman autograph.
Although Sherman entered the NFL in 2011, he didn’t appear on an official NFL Rookie Card until Panini America included him in its 2012 Contenders Football release last winter. Earlier this season, Panini America became the first NFL-licensed trading card manufacturer to sign Sherman to an autograph trading-card agreement. In the months since, Sherman’s certified autograph cards — in 2013 Playbook Football, 2013 Totally Certified Football and 2013 Select Football – have routinely sold online for between $300 and $500.
But when the company released 2013 Contenders Football earlier this month, it randomly inserted fewer than 20 autographed versions of Sherman’s 2012 Contenders Football Rookie Card. Last night, we found out just what such a card is worth.
“Richard Sherman is one of the most collectible defensive stars the football card industry has seen in quite some time — and maybe ever,” said Ben Ecklar, Panini America’s NFL Brand Director. “We were honored to produce Sherman’s first and only NFL Rookie Card last season, and signing him to an autograph deal for 2013 was one of our top priorities. Obviously, the results speak for themselves.”
Sherman will be featured on autographed cards in each of Panini America’s remaining 2013 NFL products.
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Richard Sherman. Best in da game!
I collect Andre Johnson.
Bars and Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

This got pulled in my city, at the LCS that I don't go to. It's a cool story and everything, and I know Panini wants to make a big deal about this, but I would be surprised if it gets paid for. Just sayin...

Edit: Apparently this got paid for immediately.

Collecting Contenders QB Autos (Selling these off, lost count), Bryce Harper, and Kyrie Irving - PLEASE don't ship to me in a PWE.

Last edited by adamt326; 01-21-2014 at 01:23 PM.
adamt326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

shilled? probably.
matt roberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

It's emotional hype. This sort of thing happens all the time. He needs to be a top DB for the next 10+ years, and even then that's not a guarantee his cards will remain high. The best chance for his cards to keep high-end status is if he limits the number of cards he signs and continues to play at a high level.
crac0018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
k13

How is it a rookie in 2013 if he has a rookie in 2012....

Card will be $50 in the future
k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

“Richard Sherman is one of the most collectible defensive stars the football card industry has seen in quite some time — and maybe ever,” said Ben Ecklar, Panini America’s NFL Brand Director."

I'm gonna go ahead and say Deion Sanders to this.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13 View Post
How is it a rookie in 2013 if he has a rookie in 2012....

Card will be $50 in the future
It's his first auto, so that counts as a rookie auto (and they bought back some of his '12 Contenders cards).
Herr Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
“Richard Sherman is one of the most collectible defensive stars the football card industry has seen in quite some time — and maybe ever,” said Ben Ecklar, Panini America’s NFL Brand Director."

I'm gonna go ahead and say Deion Sanders to this.
Interesting quote from Panini. They really screwed the pooch on his RC missing so many releases.
AdamMcDermott88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Sparkz View Post
It's his first auto, so that counts as a rookie auto (and they bought back some of his '12 Contenders cards).
This card is technically a rookie buy back autograph insert card- it was pulled out of a 2013 product that panini is desperate to sell.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

That guy ain't no Deion Sanders and hasn't proved anything yet
Running Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
This card is technically a rookie buy back autograph insert card- it was pulled out of a 2013 product that panini is desperate to sell.
It was a product produced in 2013, but considered a 2012 product. Highly doubt that they need help selling it since Luck, Wilson, RGIII and Foles rookie tickets are in it and boxes are selling at $250 on this very same site.
Coventry6546 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamMcDermott88 View Post
Interesting quote from Panini. They really screwed the pooch on his RC missing so many releases.
I mean how many 5th round pick defensive backs get autos in products? No one could have predicted him being here at that time.
trixstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coventry6546 View Post
It was a product produced in 2013, but considered a 2012 product. Highly doubt that they need help selling it since Luck, Wilson, RGIII and Foles rookie tickets are in it and boxes are selling at $250 on this very same site.
This specific autographed card is available in 2013 contenders fb boxes, not 2012 contenders fb, which has this card not autographed.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

I would burn it
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine View Post
I would burn it
You wouldn't have the gonads to burn a $1500 dollar card. And juno it.

ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

Come on guys it's a Panini Blog article, they don't exactly market very subtly over there. No shock it's full of hyperbole. Panini always thinks we can't see right through them.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
You wouldn't have the gonads to burn a $1500 dollar card. And juno it.

Love the card wish i had one
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine View Post
Love the card wish i had one
I wouldn't burn a niners or pats card if I knew I could get 1.5k for one. Sad but true.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
Come on guys it's a Panini Blog article, they don't exactly market very subtly over there. No shock it's full of hyperbole. Panini always thinks we can't see right through them.
Wait, so Panini isn't supposed to promote Panini products on their company blog?
BlueReloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueReloaded View Post
Wait, so Panini isn't supposed to promote Panini products on their company blog?
Your name sounds familiar, I think you've tried to defend Panini when I post before.

So rather than blow this up, I never said what you're suggesting. But Panini acts like everything they do is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and in a way it's insulting to the consumer. Look at how the other card companies do social media, you can promote products without turning into a circus sideshow.

This is a prime example, everyone in this thread is responding negatively because they don't like being told this is the greatest thing ever and that Sherman is the hottest defender ever in the hobby when the company selling the product is deciding that for them.

Sorry, but when you've worked in marketing and social media for years it irks you to see it done wrong.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Jeremy Lin collectors must be salivating over this one. I bet the guys who went full in on Puig redemptions also are paying 600 an auto too.

Thank god these idiots exist so we can sell our cards to them, otherwise nobody would ever make any money at this.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
Your name sounds familiar, I think you've tried to defend Panini when I post before.

So rather than blow this up, I never said what you're suggesting. But Panini acts like everything they do is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and in a way it's insulting to the consumer. Look at how the other card companies do social media, you can promote products without turning into a circus sideshow.

This is a prime example, everyone in this thread is responding negatively because they don't like being told this is the greatest thing ever and that Sherman is the hottest defender ever in the hobby when the company selling the product is deciding that for them.

Sorry, but when you've worked in marketing and social media for years it irks you to see it done wrong.
Yes, I have commented on your posts before because every time there is a Panini blog, you post the same exact garbage.

I also work in marketing and social media (for a top tech company in the Seattle area) and what Panini does in the blog is exactly what you are supposed to do. They talk about their products and recent trends surrounding the industry and how it affects their products.

But how dare they talk up their products, right?
BlueReloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
I mean how many 5th round pick defensive backs get autos in products? No one could have predicted him being here at that time.
Josh Norman was a small school 5th rd pick corner who isn't very good and he still got one. Captain Munnerlynn was a 6th rd pick not too long ago and had one as well, so they aren't strangers to this. Simply a missed opportunity on their part.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

as long as richard sherman plays well during this specific Super Bowl and has an average to awful career similar thereafter to Tim tebow after denver and Jeremy Lin after the knicks will always get novelty prices for his cards for at least the next ten years.

Not saying that novelty price is 1.5k, but that wwe post game speech was bigger than the game.

Last edited by ziggyz129; 01-22-2014 at 06:18 AM.
ziggyz129 is online now   Reply With Quote