Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about bgs raw card reviews..

So i was under the impression a card was guaranteed the grade it received at raw card review.. Found out today thats not the case apparently?

Would like to know some experiences with it and results if you got screwed etc..

Really doesnt make sense to me why they even do a raw card review if theyre gona regrade it anyways.. Seems like bullcrap to me.

Question about bgs raw card reviews..-image.jpg

This is the card btw.. Tryin to figure out if i want to leave it wiith a raw grade or get it encased

everyone has a right to their opinion.. mine just happens to be better than most.

Last edited by Chrisp253; 02-05-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Chrisp253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

cut the silvers, keep the golds?!
I always tell. so should u but not everyone tells.

You just gotta adjust man

Tomorrow i'll train you all on rcrs and varis. you just have to know the system
And get ur weight up
cyberpvnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am going to start my own service called Dielon's medium rare review, just in case the raw card review isn't enough
Old 02-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Interesting thoughts guys...... Im just curious because the website doesnt say anything about it coming in for a regrade under the service but they slip that lil piece of info onto the back of the label..

everyone has a right to their opinion.. mine just happens to be better than most.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've had some tough experiences on this issue ... I've never had cards RCR'ed but I buy them routinely and have hand them (from time to time) graded lower than the RCR grade.

My most recent batch had 5 Oscar Taveras BGS 10 chrome RC's RCR'ed and only four of them came back slabbed 10. One was slabbed 9.5 (with 2 10 subgrades and 2 9.5 subgrades for centering and surface ... two things that would be impossible to change after it was RCR'ed).

I've had 10 autos come back 9's, and even a 9 auto come back a 7 (ugh) so you run the risk of having the actual slab be lower than the RCR. I've never once had a grade bumped, just lowered.

I certainly understand if a previous RCR is now damaged ... maybe the card was bent or something leaked into the case somehow, but I don't understand how BGS can charge money for a service, then BGS can charge money again and grade the card differently. At the very least, they should provide a refund for the RCR when they case it.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
I've had some tough experiences on this issue ... I've never had cards RCR'ed but I buy them routinely and have hand them (from time to time) graded lower than the RCR grade.

My most recent batch had 5 Oscar Taveras BGS 10 chrome RC's RCR'ed and only four of them came back slabbed 10. One was slabbed 9.5 (with 2 10 subgrades and 2 9.5 subgrades for centering and surface ... two things that would be impossible to change after it was RCR'ed).

I've had 10 autos come back 9's, and even a 9 auto come back a 7 (ugh) so you run the risk of having the actual slab be lower than the RCR. I've never once had a grade bumped, just lowered.

I certainly understand if a previous RCR is now damaged ... maybe the card was bent or something leaked into the case somehow, but I don't understand how BGS can charge money for a service, then BGS can charge money again and grade the card differently. At the very least, they should provide a refund for the RCR when they case it.
Wow that is horrible... Will never do RCR.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Don't bother with this, it's a scam. My LCS purchased a bunch of these from a show, majority of which came back with lower grades. The RCR seems to basically be a better version of the BCCG. They just accept these at the shows and do a quick run over and give a rough grade, nothing is set in stone. I'd keep the Sherman as is for collecting purposes because unless you plan on resubmitting it forever, it's almost sure to come back lower, especially since they gave it a 10. There is always a slim chance you might get lucky, but it's very unlikely. I hope this helps and good luck!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks need chapmans.. 4/5 not bad.. I was talking to some guys on breakers and they made it seem like they never come back 10s. One question wouldnt 9.5 9.5 10 10 round up to 10?

Old 02-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

it is a great way for bgs to make more money
I will leave my comment at that
Old 02-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

You gotta have that gold son. I sell 9.5 RCRs commons like fresh produce. Up, up, up.

Hot potato!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would send it to Beckett with a minimum grade requirement of 10. If it doesn't then get slabbed a 10, Beckett would return it as is, or should anyway unless they screw that up. If by some chance you don't get back a slabbed BGS 10, I would go on a crusade to put an end to Beckett and their shennanigans.
sportscardmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardmania View Post
I would send it to Beckett with a minimum grade requirement of 10. If it doesn't then get slabbed a 10, Beckett would return it as is, or should anyway unless they screw that up. If by some chance you don't get back a slabbed BGS 10, I would go on a crusade to put an end to Beckett and their shennanigans.
I think they would cut it out to grade it so that would mean id receive a raw 10 dollar card back.. Not a good look. Im havin a hard time deciding what i should do with it.. Kinda frustrating because the website makes it seem like its guaranteed.. And the seller listed it as a bgs pristine 10 and didnt show the backside of the label that said this grade is not guaranteed.. Which i guess it really isnt until its slabbed.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

I believe if submit at the show it was reviewed at they guarantee the grade. I could be mistaken though.
hofmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

If I have cards graded at a RCR show, I always fill out my forms with the grades listed, keep my copy and send the cards back with the guys from Beckett. I have done around 3,000 RCR submissions like that, and not one of them came back with a different grade. I may be the exception, but so far, every single card grade remained the same.
3of5-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3of5-2 View Post
If I have cards graded at a RCR show, I always fill out my forms with the grades listed, keep my copy and send the cards back with the guys from Beckett. I have done around 3,000 RCR submissions like that, and not one of them came back with a different grade. I may be the exception, but so far, every single card grade remained the same.
Purchased it on ebay.. Or i woulda done that personally. It seems like such a dumb service tho if a card is clearly not screwed with that they dont guarantee the raw card grade.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Sell this as is before everybody else gets there's back from BGS and it's a Pop 100
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
Sell this as is before everybody else gets there's back from BGS and it's a Pop 100
Theres already been a ton of shermans graded.. Like 70 9.5s or somethin in pop report.. No 10s.. Its a tough grade. Plus its my pc.. I have a 10 playoff ticket.. And i have 2 raw ice that i need to sub.. If 1 got a 10 id have the 10 rainbow which would be awesome!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisp253 View Post
Purchased it on ebay.. Or i woulda done that personally. It seems like such a dumb service tho if a card is clearly not screwed with that they dont guarantee the raw card grade.
If it's clearly not screwed with, I can see your point. I would contact them for sure about it. It always helps to have a good working relationship with your customer rep from them.
3of5-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I think they would cut it out to grade it so that would mean id receive a raw 10 dollar card back.. Not a good look. Im havin a hard time deciding what i should do with it.. Kinda frustrating because the website makes it seem like its guaranteed.. And the seller listed it as a bgs pristine 10 and didnt show the backside of the label that said this grade is not guaranteed.. Which i guess it really isnt until its slabbed.
Ask beckett if Raw Card Reviews qualify for their Graded Card Review. If it does, and you send it in under Graded Card Review with a 10 minimum grade requirement then they wouldn't cut it out of the RCR 10 label, unless they review it without cutting it out and feel it deserves the BGS 10 and slab it. Check their website about Graded Card Review if you're not familiar with it.
sportscardmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardmania View Post
Ask beckett if Raw Card Reviews qualify for their Graded Card Review. If it does, and you send it in under Graded Card Review with a 10 minimum grade requirement then they wouldn't cut it out of the RCR 10 label, unless they review it without cutting it out and feel it deserves the BGS 10 and slab it. Check their website about Graded Card Review if you're not familiar with it.
Thanks so much for the info i will look into it!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

I have turned in 6 RCR 10s and had 6 come back graded 10. The main difference in grading BGS 10 is that BGS requires 2 graders to review a card that initially grades a 10 and both must agree the card should receive a 10 from what I understand. RCR is typically only one grader. I have had two cards come in lower and one come back higher than RCR. Sometimes it's based on sub grades, sometimes the RCR misses something because they spend so little time with each card. Typically grades are pretty consistent. I would slab that card in a heartbeat.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

don't cut the silvers,

9 is a good grade....if you do cut the silvers declare to buyer
otherwise the same card gets graded 100x and beckett gets rich and we as buyers and sellers get poor loosing our grade fees when we cut silvers,
and as buyers loosing our grade fees when we grade in the attempt for golds

i never cut, but i understand why people do it,
sometimes graders are rougher than others ....

anyways.....

i'm under the impression you can send a bgs 10 in and ask for a no less then bgs 10
but i may be wrong

that rcr bgs 10 is perfect the way it is

how much cash or paypal gets it if it hasn't been cut pm sent

cut the silvers, keep the golds?!
I always tell. so should u but not everyone tells.

@cyberpvk?

You just gotta adjust man

--------Tomorrow i'll train you all on rcrs and varis. you just have to know the system
And get ur weight up.

go figure the state w/ the pro football hall of fame can't win a single playoff game in a decade or two

good thing the buckeyes play there
or ohio may have to move the football hall of fame to a state that likes to win
clevland and cinci play for one thing each year, who can blow their 1st rd pick on a junk qb the year following

Last edited by SEMPERFI; 02-07-2014 at 02:58 AM.
SEMPERFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:06 AM   #23 (permalink)

Thanks for the comment semper. Its not up for grabs atm. Ill prolly send it in and risk them screwing me so i can (fingers crossed) get it back slabbed 10 to go alongside my pristine 10 playoff ticket.

The sherman base are such a tough grade i dont think many 10s will ever exist.. I have like 50 raw ones to go through and examine.. Got 10 more today (which i was quite surprised by their condition.. As much as these are getting grade then lot saled out.. Looks like 3-4 9.5s in this lot!)

Anyways. Im gona call up bgs tmrw and get some more details on what i can expect.. Really sending it in will if anything force me to send in about 10-20 other surefire 9.5 cards i have sitting in a box. Maybe some of those will get 10s too!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the comment semper. Its not up for grabs atm. Ill prolly send it in and risk them screwing me so i can (fingers crossed) get it back slabbed 10 to go alongside my pristine 10 playoff ticket.

The sherman base are such a tough grade i dont think many 10s will ever exist.. I have like 50 raw ones to go through and examine.. Got 10 more today (which i was quite surprised by their condition.. As much as these are getting grade then lot saled out.. Looks like 3-4 9.5s in this lot!)

Anyways. Im gona call up bgs tmrw and get some more details on what i can expect.. Really sending it in will if anything force me to send in about 10-20 other surefire 9.5 cards i have sitting in a box. Maybe some of those will get 10s too!
I would definitely add, minimum 10 or leave in RCR sleeve on a sticky note for that card, it has a 99.99% chance coming back 10 in a slab that way.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #25 (permalink)

sucks

only thing you're guaranteed in life is death and taxes.

hot potato

time to adjust
89transam is offline   Reply With Quote