Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chicago bears draft busts

With the draft coming up here is a list of the best Bears failures. You have to throw out things like not picking Tom Brady or Tony Romo. Since who could have seen that coming. But this is mostly 1st round talent that they felt just was not good enough to be a Bear. Leaving off 1st round busts Salaam or the fact we traded away our high 1st round in 97 for Rick Mirer

The year 1968, the round 1st; With Ken Stabler still available the Chicago bears pick... Mike Hull.

The year 1979, the round 3rd; With Joe Montana still available the Chicago bears pick... Willie McClendon.

The year 1991, the round 1st; With Brett Favre still available the Chicago bears pick... Stan Thomasl.

The year 1998, the round 1st; With Randy Moss still available the Chicago bears pick... Curtis Enis.

The year 1999, the round 1st; With Jevon Kearse or a bunch of other studs still available the Chicago bears pick... Cade McNown.

The year 2001, the round 1st; With Reggie Wayne or a bunch of other studs still available the Chicago bears pick... David Terrell.

The year 2003, the round 1st; With Troy Polamalu still available the Chicago bears pick... Michael Haynes.

The year 2005, the round 1st; With Aaron Rodgers still available the Chicago bears pick... Cedric Benson.

Good thing we are not picking in the 1st 2 rounds or I might have to update this.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Some of those were bad from the start but hindsight is always 20/20 when you look back at what could've been. At least the Bears got decent at scouting later round talent.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

don't forget rashaan salaam
coclarkson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coclarkson View Post
don't forget rashaan salaam
Also the obvious, Rex Grossman, and Marc Colombo. Three 1st round picks have really panned out in the last 15 years or so: Urlacher, Greg Olsen and Tommie Harris.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Also the obvious, Rex Grossman, and Marc Colombo.
Ironically, Colombo has been very good for the Cowboys...
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Also the obvious, Rex Grossman, and Marc Colombo. Three 1st round picks have really panned out in the last 15 years or so: Urlacher, Greg Olsen and Tommie Harris.
I had Salami listed in the body of my post but no other real sexy 1st round to compare it too. Same with Sexy Rexy. He was actually our 2nd pick in the 2003 draft behind Haynes that I listed. But trust me we can make an entire post of the flops!

The Bears were actually the reason that the NFL started the draft. Halas was so good at finding and signing talent that no other teams could compete with the Bears. So they created the draft, with his blessing, to make the league stronger. Thats why its ironic that they keep whiffing
Old 04-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can't believe its been 11 years since Cade McNown was drafted.

Seems like it was just yesterday that there were constant stories about that D-Bag in the paper.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

We still got to the Super Bowl in 2006 despite drafting Cedric Benson instead of some other options. Just imagine what could've been. Added to Aaron Rodgers, guys we could've taken include: DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Roddy White, and with a second round pick Nick Collins or Lofa Tatupu but we thought Mark Bradley was studly enough to go with him instead.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
but we thought Mark Bradley was studly enough to go with him instead.
I actually liked Bradley, he was a great guy. Below is a picture of me and him at Halas Hall after a game of flag football. My arms are bigger than his head. Also a picture of me and John Tait. He is a very very large man. I'm 6'0 and 275# and he made me look like a baby!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

You cant always say that u knew some of those guys were gonna be busts. Did everybody have a bad draft since Tom Brady was a 6th round pick and everybody passed on him atleast once. Same with Terrell Davis. You never know that some of these late round guys will be studs until they play. Every team has bad picks. Not to many teams are able to find studs in the late rounds. Mike Shanahan was good at getting talent in the late rounds. Not to many other coaches and scouts can do that
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
I actually liked Bradley, he was a great guy. Below is a picture of me and him at Halas Hall after a game of flag football. My arms are bigger than his head. Also a picture of me and John Tait. He is a very very large man. I'm 6'0 and 275# and he made me look like a baby!
did you get that 44 jersey at baby gap?
coclarkson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coclarkson View Post
did you get that 44 jersey at baby gap?
The jersey fits fine, its the mesh pullover that did not come in man size.