Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
IF (and it's a big IF - still no official details) this is true then Jacksonville has lost their marbles.

LA - theOBR ‏ @ LaneAdkins 14m
10-11 million and 30 million guaranteed? I wouldn't offer any center in the league that type of deal.

Lane is the Insider for the Orange and Brown report - if he tweeted this then he heard it from some credible people - doesn't mean those people are right of course.

For comparisons sake when Ryan Kalil signed he got 49 million over 6 years with 18 million guaranteed. Mack would be getting around 50+ million over 5 years with 30 million guaranteed.

He can enjoy living in Jacksonville if they really offered him something like that
Those are INSANE #'s for a center. Absolutely stupid to play a C that money. A Dermontti Dawson in his prime wouldn't be worth those #'s. And, Mack is no Dawson.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #27 (permalink)

Who are you going to spend it on? There isn't a franchise QB on the team. If they draft one this year in the first, they have 3 years (and an option on a 4th) to start worrying about it. The only real FA question mark on the team is Cecil.

You got to spend the money somewhere. Why not?

/from the jags perspective

Last edited by bern024; 04-09-2014 at 07:12 PM.
bern024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #28 (permalink)

i think it's worth noting that at $10 Mack would be making almost double the next highest center (think C for the rams is about 5.5) it just seems like too much, yes we have the money but man, $10 million is a ton for a center
bkovach06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

If he thinks Ohio's income tax is too high, wait until he see's UK's taxes when the Jags move to London.

Im not sure how well Mack even fits into a zone blocking O-Line like Shanahan likes to run. But if the Browns FO believes he can fit, believes the cap will go up a good deal over the next 5 years, and he's "The Guy" @ C for the next 5 years. Match it. ***Assuming 50+ for 5 years***
rtcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

All types of contract numbers flying around - It's honestly not worth speculating because there is so many different things out there.

I did see a tweet this morning that I wasn't expecting - could mean the dollars are less than speculated yesterday (He'll still be the highest paid C in the league but maybe at a more reasonable long term deal)

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4m
Once it is signed, Browns figure to match Jacksonville's five-year offer sheet to C Alex Mack "in no time at all", per source.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
All types of contract numbers flying around - It's honestly not worth speculating because there is so many different things out there.

I did see a tweet this morning that I wasn't expecting - could mean the dollars are less than speculated yesterday (He'll still be the highest paid C in the league but maybe at a more reasonable long term deal)

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4m
Once it is signed, Browns figure to match Jacksonville's five-year offer sheet to C Alex Mack "in no time at all", per source.
Jags know it will take a lot to pry him away. No sense in giving him an offer sheet if they know it will be matched easily. I think the speculation will be pretty accurate, Cleveland just thinks he's their guy.
packa7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
If I had to pick? I would choose Cleveland in a heartbeat. All they need is a solid QB. Hell if Hoyer had not gotten injured....
Then what? They have the longest drought in the NFL without winning a division with 22 years and counting. Hoyer would not have changed that

http://s775.beta.photobucket.com/user/alexladue/library/

Damn The Hard Times. Enjoy The Good Times!
addicted36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm View Post
Flaming garbage, and yet where would Washington pick if they kept their first round pick? Oh wait, before both of them! Great insight as usual!
At least they won the division in 2012

http://s775.beta.photobucket.com/user/alexladue/library/

Damn The Hard Times. Enjoy The Good Times!
addicted36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted36 View Post
At least they won the division in 2012
The Seahawks took Russell Wilson in round 3. He's not the best QB in the league, but the front office had the foresight to know you can't give up depth for talent at one position. Winning your division doesn't matter if you don't win the SB.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #35 (permalink)

Let him walk, there's at least 4 pro quality Centers coming out this year and grossly overpaying for that position is what keeps teams strapped in cap hell.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #36 (permalink)

Schefter posted a couple of hours ago on twitter that the browns will match the offer sheet no matter what.
legion624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #37 (permalink)

If the Browns were going to match any deal that came along, why not negotiate a long term deal with him in the first place.

From what everyone is saying, they could have easily put a contract in front of him that made him the highest paid C in the league and saved millions.
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #38 (permalink)

I say let Mack go. I honestly think he is a bit overrated. I watched every Browns game last season and he struck me as an average, maybe slightly above average, center. There really doesn't seem to be anything special about him. If Jacksonville is dumb enough to drop that much money on him let him go there. I really don't think midway through the season, us Browns fans are going to be saying "man I really wish we still had Mack".
columbusbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins26 View Post
If the Browns were going to match any deal that came along, why not negotiate a long term deal with him in the first place.

From what everyone is saying, they could have easily put a contract in front of him that made him the highest paid C in the league and saved millions.
How would they have saved millions? Cart before the horse when we don't even know what the deal is yet.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #40 (permalink)

the name alex mack brings back childhood memories...

I was in love with this girl when I was a kid.
89transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89transam View Post

I posted this in a thread about Alex on a different site and it was immediately deleted.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought of her.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
How would they have saved millions? Cart before the horse when we don't even know what the deal is yet.

I was going based on what had been posted regarding the salary that was rumored.

My point was that it's one thing if they used the transition tag on him to get 1 year out of him with the plan to either let him walk or renegotiate after the year but why use the transition tag on him and let someone desperate make him a crazy offer and then match it?

I figured all along that they were keeping fingers crossed he wouldn't bring a deal back.

Having him at about $10M for 1 year & drafting a QB seems to make sense--give the rookie a solid vet C to break him in. Paying $10M+/yr for the next five? Cray
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins26 View Post
I was going based on what had been posted regarding the salary that was rumored.

My point was that it's one thing if they used the transition tag on him to get 1 year out of him with the plan to either let him walk or renegotiate after the year but why use the transition tag on him and let someone desperate make him a crazy offer and then match it?

I figured all along that they were keeping fingers crossed he wouldn't bring a deal back.

Having him at about $10M for 1 year & drafting a QB seems to make sense--give the rookie a solid vet C to break him in. Paying $10M+/yr for the next five? Cray
There is a lot too it - there is a good article on the OBR about why the Browns chose to transition tag him. It's pretty detailed.

Either way I'm just curious to see what the final JAX offer comes out at.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcrules View Post
If he thinks Ohio's income tax is too high, wait until he see's UK's taxes when the Jags move to London.

Im not sure how well Mack even fits into a zone blocking O-Line like Shanahan likes to run. But if the Browns FO believes he can fit, believes the cap will go up a good deal over the next 5 years, and he's "The Guy" @ C for the next 5 years. Match it. ***Assuming 50+ for 5 years***
When is the London move happening? Will it be after LA,? You don't spend multi millions to upgrade a stadium to up and move. Do some research before making stupid posts!
Old 04-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #45 (permalink)

Well Alex Mack will be staying a Cleveland Brown - there is 0% chance they don't match this. Sure was a lot of buildup about how Jacksonville would make this deal structured so it was "hard for Cleveland" to match. It isn't very creative.

The 18 million guaranteed is a little pricey for a Center but Mack has never missed a game so the odds are in their favor for the next 2 years. The player option after 2015? Mack will be almost 31 by then - Still in his prime for a OLineman - but plenty of time for Cleveland to find a replacement should they not want to go through this again.

He's the highest paid C in Football now - and technically gets a "long term" deal (even though we all know it only matters up to the guarantee - so he basically got a 2 year deal worth 9 million a year. In 2016 I'm sure he'll want to get a new deal.

I like it for Cleveland. Mack gets paid (so he'll be happy) and Cleveland keeps a Pro Bowl Center to go with the 10 upcoming Draft Picks - and the money doesn't kill any cap space for Cleveland going forward for Haden, Taylor, Cameron, Gordon etc...

Ian Rapoport ‏ @ RapSheet 50s
Here is # Jaguars offer sheet Alex Mack will be signing tomorrow: 5 years, $42M. It’s $18M over 2 with player option after ’15. Can’t tag him
Old 04-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #46 (permalink)

This doesn't matter at all (I mean it has some cap implications) but won't stop the Browns from matching. If anything all it does is lock Mack up for 3 years.

Mike Garafolo ‏ @ MikeGarafolo 4m
Now here's another wrinkle: Mack gets $8 million FULLY guaranteed in Year 3 if he doesn't void after 2 years. So that's up to $26m in gtd $.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #47 (permalink)

Last tweet summarizes it best. Is Mack worth 8.6 a year guaranteed for the 1st 3 years of the deal? Probably not being a Center. On the flip side though the Browns can't afford to just let Pro Bowlers walk away because they are a little too expensive. Part of the deal when you've been losing so long.

Jason La Canfora ‏ @ JasonLaCanfora 5m
Mack offer sheet pretty close to my projected structure. $26M guaranteed was spot on. Basically 2yr deal ( w/player option to extend)...

Jason La Canfora ‏ @ JasonLaCanfora 4m
Question becomes: Will Browns risk "renting" Mack for 2yrs and $18M knowing he can void out and leave after 2015? Is it front-loaded enough?

Jason La Canfora ‏ @ JasonLaCanfora 3m
Getting the payout in the first 2yrs north of $20M would have made it much tougher to match, or making 2015 voidable. I'd expect CLE match

Jason La Canfora ‏ @ JasonLaCanfora 1m
Either way, Alex Mack should be in good shape to earn $26M over 3 years if he performs well/stays healthy. Quite a haul for a center
Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89transam View Post

So was I! I jokingly say to my GF "you make me melt into a puddle like Alex Mack" #90schildren
Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #49 (permalink)

Lions fan here (yes, the only team that's been worse than the Browns since the merger)...

...personally, I like the signing by Cleveland to retain Mack. Sometimes you just have to overpay to keep/sign a very good player. For the position (center), it's not very economical. However, you just have to find a way to make it work and fit within the salary structure of the team.

The Browns drafted a player (Mack) who panned out really well. I'll be damned if they let him go. Plus, personally, I think that center is the second most important position on the offensive line (behind LT, of course...assuming you have a right-handed QB).

Bottom line - good move by the Browns.
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #50 (permalink)

I think it was essential that they keep him. You need that veteran to make all the line calls especially if you will have a RC QB under center. The contract doesn't really hurt us in the long run because whether we have Hoyer or a RC at QB, we won't have to pay big money to a QB for 3-4 years while a number of teams not only have to sign key players but also sign their good QB's to big money.

If we can draft well we can make some major improvements as a team and not be a laughing stock anymore.

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/jataman2612/
jataman2612 is offline   Reply With Quote