Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #26 (permalink)

I honestly thought the trailer for this movie was just a spoof and that they got a bunch of big names to film it a la Funny or Die type stuff.
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #27 (permalink)

Going to watch it tonight at an early release showing thx to so friends....can't wait wither
jkidd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

This thread would have been more useful with a poll.

And no, I won't be seeing it.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #29 (permalink)

Watch the 30 for 30 about the '83 draft and tell me draft day isn't a compelling story to tell. Kevin has a history of good sports movies and I am wondering how Foster will do.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #30 (permalink)

Very much wanting to go and see it - although I doubt any UK cinemas will screen it
Old 04-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #31 (permalink)

really hope to, want to wait until my brother comes back from college in mid-May to make it a family event
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #32 (permalink)

Total garbage. Don't we already waste enough money on the NFL?

Follow me @SquirelThomas. Or dont.
Grza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioU View Post
Watch the 30 for 30 about the '83 draft and tell me draft day isn't a compelling story to tell. Kevin has a history of good sports movies and I am wondering how Foster will do.
that was a great 30 for 30 of one of the greatest QB draft classes ever.

I agree, I'd love to see it, just not in a rush to see it.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #34 (permalink)

My wife is trying to take an interest and suggested we go see it with Panthers gear on. I suggested we should see other people..
Old 04-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #35 (permalink)

I might look for a torrent somewhere online.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #36 (permalink)

That last trip I made to the Cinema was to see the Spongebob Squarepants movie.

Draft Day will not be ending the drought.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #37 (permalink)

This movie is not good
trixstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
This movie is not good
What were your thoughts on why you don't think it's good?
packa7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
What were your thoughts on why you don't think it's good?
It's just never interesting and so far fetched it's bordering ridiculous. The first half of the movie is boring and again just not practical at all.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:30 AM   #40 (permalink)

The Rottentomatoes score is at 61%.

They usually steer me right...so maybe I'll get the Blu Ray release once it drops in price.
Looking for good deals on RC autos from: Terrance Williams, Bernard Pierce, Aaron Dobson, Stedman Bailey, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, DeAndre Hopkins, Kenny Stills, EJ Manuel, etc...(Usually interested in mid end.)
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
This movie is not good
Would you say it's a box office "bust"?

I have a feeling there is an over dramatic conflicting scene in the war room where they act like they are on the sub of Crimson Tide or something lol.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:37 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther252 View Post
Would you say it's a box office "bust"?

I have a feeling there is an over dramatic conflicting scene in the war room where they act like they are on the sub of Crimson Tide or something lol.
No nothing is really over-dramatic that way. I don't know how much of a "bust" b/c i'm not sure what was really expected of it. The movie is pretty much geared only toward football fans lol, it's definitely wait for dvd or download though.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:25 AM   #43 (permalink)

Loved the movie, it was a fun watch, but noticed a couple of gaffes....

1. They had Trent Richardson's Jersey in the Browns locker room.....why on earth were they looking to draft a RB when they still have Trent?

2. If they had real names on the placards in the locker room, then why not utilize real names during the movie? They mentioned the Bronco's QB name and it certainly wasn't Manning and Seattles QB wasn't Wilson. I can see protecting Browns names from being used since it was about them, but c'mon, it took away from some of what was done really well in the movie.

3. When Gruden was talking about Bo, the QB that was supposed to go first, he said "There hasn't been a prospect like this since Andrew Luck".....Jon, that was only 2 years back based on the movie being the 2014 draft. And lets be honest, there wasn't a whole lot of QB talent in the 2013 crop....but he made it seem like Andrew Luck was years ago...

4. Who the hell cast the lead security guard from Prisonbreak as one of the teams scouts/assistants? That didn't fit. Gary Busey would have been perfect as a Cleveland assistant coach. A few years as a coach in Cleveland will make you look like Gary Busey in that new Amazon commercial airing this weekend

5. Sam Elliott as the Wisconsin coach....funny, I was waiting for Dalton from Roadhouse to show up with some Jeff Healey music in the background....

6. Frank Langella as the Cleveland owner, he had the best line of the movie, "People pay to get wet", that had me in stitches....Browns fans, just be glad you don't have an owner that's that slow and devoid of football knowledge. Oh wait, his name is Jimmy Haslam....

Just a couple of funny things I caught. Anyone else catch any others?

Looking for:
1997 Black Diamond Bobby Hoying
manning99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning99 View Post
Loved the movie, it was a fun watch, but noticed a couple of gaffes....

1. They had Trent Richardson's Jersey in the Browns locker room.....why on earth were they looking to draft a RB when they still have Trent?

2. If they had real names on the placards in the locker room, then why not utilize real names during the movie? They mentioned the Bronco's QB name and it certainly wasn't Manning and Seattles QB wasn't Wilson. I can see protecting Browns names from being used since it was about them, but c'mon, it took away from some of what was done really well in the movie.

3. When Gruden was talking about Bo, the QB that was supposed to go first, he said "There hasn't been a prospect like this since Andrew Luck".....Jon, that was only 2 years back based on the movie being the 2014 draft. And lets be honest, there wasn't a whole lot of QB talent in the 2013 crop....but he made it seem like Andrew Luck was years ago...

4. Who the hell cast the lead security guard from Prisonbreak as one of the teams scouts/assistants? That didn't fit. Gary Busey would have been perfect as a Cleveland assistant coach. A few years as a coach in Cleveland will make you look like Gary Busey in that new Amazon commercial airing this weekend

5. Sam Elliott as the Wisconsin coach....funny, I was waiting for Dalton from Roadhouse to show up with some Jeff Healey music in the background....

6. Frank Langella as the Cleveland owner, he had the best line of the movie, "People pay to get wet", that had me in stitches....Browns fans, just be glad you don't have an owner that's that slow and devoid of football knowledge. Oh wait, his name is Jimmy Haslam....

Just a couple of funny things I caught. Anyone else catch any others?
My buddy mentioned that they call the Heisman Trophy winner the "2014" winner. If it's the 2014 draft, it would have been the 2013 winner.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #45 (permalink)

Saw it today. Was surprised that the theater was almost full, and it wasn't 99% percent guys either.

It had its corny and predictable moments, but in the end, I thought it was a pretty good movie.

It's not meant to be a spot-on portayal of the life of a GM if that's what people are looking for as far as I know. So I had no problems with the "unrealistic" aspects of it.

Also found it odd how there were a few mentions of "real" NFL players but for the most part they were fictional.

I kinda get why, but if that's the case why use the names of any real players?

The intern was awesome. lol

Last edited by Zacky1053; 04-13-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
It's just never interesting and so far fetched it's bordering ridiculous. The first half of the movie is boring and again just not practical at all.
Went to see it today. I disagree to an extent. The things the GM does are far fetched, but it was a cool depiction of the war room.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Saw it today. Was surprised that the theater was almost full, and it wasn't 99% percent guys either.

It had its corny and predictable moments, but in the end, I thought it was a pretty good movie.

It's not meant to be a spot-on portayal of the life of a GM if that's what people are looking for as far as I know. So I had no problems with the "unrealistic" aspects of it.

Also found it odd how there were a few mentions of "real" NFL players but for the most part they were fictional.

I kinda get why, but if that's the case why use the names of any real players?

The intern was awesome. lol
Lol that poor intern. I thought the {SPOILER} laptop would develop into more. It seemed like they wanted it go into depth with it
Old 04-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I didn't know it was a real movie the first time I saw the ad for it. I thought it was just a commercial by the NFL to hype up the draft. I'll wait a year or so and watch it when they air it on the NFL Network.
My Sportscardalbum -> http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jiggidy
jiggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #49 (permalink)

I saw it. Was very slow developing and not very good.
CollegeTTMs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #50 (permalink)

SPOILERS! If you're planning on seeing the movie, DONT READ THIS.

I went to see it yesterday and I though overall it was a very good movie:

What I liked:
-They kept the love story to a minimum. A lot of times, the sports movies are an excuse to just have a crappy love story. It was there and was pretty unnecessary, but it wasn't horrible.

-They used a good cast of characters for the most part. Nobody seemed outrageously miscast. The front office guys were mostly just slightly overweight football guys. It wasn't a group of super good looking people who knew instinctively what to do.

-They did a good job developing the prospects. You felt Vontae Mack was truly immature (brass knuckle phone cover, loses his cool, etc) but he was also a very talented and caring person. You could tell Bo Callahan was a compulsive liar/pretty boy QB and it made you skeptical of taking him. They led you through all of Sonny Weaver's thoughts and feelings and when the movie arrived at him taking Mack over Callahan, it felt right even though you knew it was bad news for him.

What I didn't like:
-The trades didn't make sense. If you break it down...
-Browns trade 1st round picks in 2014, 2015, and 2016 for the #1 overall pick from Seattle. Using the draft trade value chart, Seattle's pick is valued at 3,000 points while Cleveland's pick is valued at 1,500. To move up those spots, 2 additional future 1st rounders would be fair to an extent. There's risk (if Cleveland wins 2 Super Bowls, the value of the 3 picks traded would be 2,680. If they have a top-10 pick the next two years, it'd be minimum 4,100. Either way, 3 first rounders is pretty fair and plausible.

Now, moving to the Jacksonville trade, their pick is worth 1,600 points. The Browns were picking 39th overall in the 2nd round, so the 2nd rounder that they sent Jacksonville was worth 510 points. For the next two years, assuming they had the #1 overall pick twice in a row, it would come to 1,660 points. I doubt any GM would make that trade.

Now on to the Seattle pick, they move up from pick 7 to pick 6. 6 is worth 1,600 points, 7 is worth 1,500 points. They give up two future first rounders AND a return man for a 100 point difference in position. Those two first rounders are worth bare minimum 1,180.

I get that they're making it dramatic for hollywood, but that's the one spot where I REALLY rolled my eyes.

-Dennis Leary is pretty intolerable. He's not a good coach. He doesn't pull off a coach attitude well and it seems like he's just an annoying kid brother or something.

-The intern. What the hell was that all about? He was literally one of the most useless characters I've ever seen in a movie.