Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #126 (permalink)

Is it odd that Topps has over a dozen 2014 football product release dates on the calendar and Panini only has up to Elite?
http://s22.photobucket.com/user/ark_keeper/library/Sports%20Cards/FT%20-%20FS
arkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #127 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkeeper View Post
Is it odd that Topps has over a dozen 2014 football product release dates on the calendar and Panini only has up to Elite?
I wish they would just dump Panini and give the license to UD. Topps & UD make football cards. No Panini.
MW Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #128 (permalink)

I don't get how some are saying that the basketball trading card market has reacted well to Panini being the sole manufacturer of NBA cards. It seems like most people are incredibly down on Panini and the majority of their products. They are overproduced and almost always see a substantial price dip once their MAAP pricing period is over. Between the quality of products, the pricing of said products, and the amount of products they put out, I find it very difficult to get excited over a possible takeover of the NFL brand by Panini.

I also think it's a bit odd that Topps has not said anything. You would think that if this was not true they would come out and say something. It seems like this has picked up a bit of traction on some of the other card blogs and forums out there. Sometimes silence can be very telling.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #129 (permalink)

Double post...

Last edited by Brobocop; 07-18-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
I don't get how some are saying that the basketball trading card market has reacted well to Panini being the sole manufacturer of NBA cards. It seems like most people are incredibly down on Panini and the majority of their products. They are overproduced and almost always see a substantial price dip once their MAAP pricing period is over. Between the quality of products, the pricing of said products, and the amount of products they put out, I find it very difficult to get excited over a possible takeover of the NFL brand by Panini.

I also think it's a bit odd that Topps has not said anything. You would think that if this was not true they would come out and say something. It seems like this has picked up a bit of traction on some of the other card blogs and forums out there. Sometimes silence can be very telling.
While I would agree with you, at the same time it might be best not to say anything until this is 100% the case. There might still be avenues that are open for them to keep the license and if they were to come out today and say "Thanks for the memories guys" then next week say "Hey, we figured it out, we're good" then it might be an PR issue.
legion624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #131 (permalink)

UD will never never never ever get a license back in probably any sport. they are a run down company with no lead and probably still owe those millions of $$$ to other athletes. In 5 years They will be long forgotten by the newer collectors, that is unless they finally give in and let someone buy them out or merge as was suggested not that long ago.

Leaf is buying up a good share of a smaller market with SK and FF and they do have some good products with getting a lot of the players on contracts and cards before the big guys.

I'm not sure how the buy back type products will work in the future if it ends up being a lot of panini products out on the market.

lots of chicken littles across the site.

Don't buy what you don't like, someone else will. Go back to vintage collecting.

I have purchased one football related item since 2011 ended and it was a 2012 sage hit blaster which was on clearance at walmart. I was all football for years, but grew tired of seeing guys in their skivvies in every product and the mass amounts of products with the same players and pictures time and time again, plus there are too many cards and too many duds for players.

Maybe that is the business side of me speaking. Baseball for some reason seems better to collect, though I have put a lot of my $ into Sportkings, 2011 ITG, and 2012 & 2013 Leaf and a few others, so I'm not even big on the Topps or Panini Products in general though I will get Topps products here and there. I have more or less stayed away from Panini on the baseball side.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #132 (permalink)

Twitter Hints At Panini NFL Exclusive in Near Future – Could This Be the Hobby’s Worst Nightmare? | Sports Cards Uncensored

My Cordarrelle Patterson Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/cordarrelle-patterson
deltapi1049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #133 (permalink)
Banned

follow @sportscardnews on twitter as he has lots of updates on this. I hope Upper Deck is able to pull off a license.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #134 (permalink)

I got into the hobby in 1999. If you wanted an NFL licensed football card your choices were:
Donruss/Leaf/Score/Playoff all of which were their own company at one time.
Upper Deck
Topps
Fleer
Pacific
Collectors Edge

So I agreed with the sentiment that the hobby had to get smaller to grow. With 9 companies making cards, and each company putting out at least 10 releases a year. Thats almost 100 "true" rookie cards of say Cade McNown. Thats crazy.

But having one company and no choice is just stupid. I'm not a Topps fan but I like that they kept Panini honest. At least somewhat...
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #135 (permalink)

"Potentially losing the superfractor alone is a huge blow, as it is the chase card style of each football season"

That statement might not be entirely true, panini started producing super fractors in their prizm soccer this year so they have they technology to make them for football also. Although they were #/5 they still looked great and as much as people like supers that might make more of a chance for collectors to get one for their collection. And who knows prizm might change finites to supers. If I remember correctly topps finest had a xfractor as their 1/1 before they had supers.
dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
I got into the hobby in 1999. If you wanted an NFL licensed football card your choices were:
Donruss/Leaf/Score/Playoff all of which were their own company at one time.
Upper Deck
Topps
Fleer
Pacific
Collectors Edge

So I agreed with the sentiment that the hobby had to get smaller to grow. With 9 companies making cards, and each company putting out at least 10 releases a year. Thats almost 100 "true" rookie cards of say Cade McNown. Thats crazy.

But having one company and no choice is just stupid. I'm not a Topps fan but I like that they kept Panini honest. At least somewhat...
Those were the good ol' days...actual competition, a relative "limit" on products, and companies actually took their time and created quality cards that would/could hold value

American Flag, Biography Plaque, Film Slides, Quad Jerseys, Lustrous Materials, etc.
bewareof94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #137 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Panini sucks. I'm going to miss Topps football cards.
HammerFan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #138 (permalink)

Best quote from the article: "I have noticed that Panini runs their company more like someone who hasnt ever been rich before"
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
ssbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #139 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewareof94 View Post
Those were the good ol' days...actual competition, a relative "limit" on products, and companies actually took their time and created quality cards that would/could hold value
Yes. This was when I was a kid and the hobby was fun. Why are they all doing this license crap? Probably just money. Panini has more than any of them. A shame that a random rich Italian firm that makes stickers has to ruin our NFL cards.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewareof94 View Post
Unfortunately, everything you listed there probably led to their eventual individual bankruptcies and acquisitions.
BlueReloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #141 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueReloaded View Post
Unfortunately, everything you listed there probably led to their eventual individual bankruptcies and acquisitions.
Most likely true. I would be fine with 3 companies Panini, Topps, and UD each making 6 sets each per year.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW Connection View Post
Most likely true. I would be fine with 3 companies Panini, Topps, and UD each making 6 sets each per year.
There's no easy answer. Unfortunately, that option would lead to $500/box products.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #143 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueReloaded View Post
There's no easy answer. Unfortunately, that option would lead to $500/box products.
Maybe but it would limited releases and improve quality per se.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW Connection View Post
Maybe but it would limited releases and improve quality per se.
True, quality would improve; but, you would also price out most of what is already a niche market.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #145 (permalink)

Panini's newest Rewards system will include codes for a bottle of lube. Shipping will not be free.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #146 (permalink)

raydawg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #147 (permalink)
Banned

I miss the days of Donruss. This stinks.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #148 (permalink)

Life will go on without Topps. The way I see it, an exclusive license could be good for the hobby. If you cut topps out of it there would be fewer licensed products on the market, and fewer products means that cards would hold more value due to less dilution. More valuable cards = good for collectors.

I don't buy the argument that you need multiple card companies competing against each other for good cards to be produced. Panini will put out a variety of products each year to appeal to different collectors. You will like some, you won't like others. It happens every year, no reason to think that will change anytime soon. And no reason to think quality will go down with an exclusive license.
For any use of "price point", one can substitute the word "price" as a synonym. The widespread use of the term price point reflects the insidious encroachment of corp-speak and jargon into everyday parlance.
NorwayAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwayAllDay View Post
Life will go on without Topps. The way I see it, an exclusive license could be good for the hobby. If you cut topps out of it there would be fewer licensed products on the market, and fewer products means that cards would hold more value due to less dilution. More valuable cards = good for collectors.

I don't buy the argument that you need multiple card companies competing against each other for good cards to be produced. Panini will put out a variety of products each year to appeal to different collectors. You will like some, you won't like others. It happens every year, no reason to think that will change anytime soon. And no reason to think quality will go down with an exclusive license.
I'm not sure if I like the idea of junky, ugly sticker autos becoming more valuable/desirable. I think the problem that a lot of people are having is that the less popular brand is about to force the top dog out of football.

It reminds me of directv's monopoly with Sunday ticket. I love football and I'll pay extra for the 'ticket', but that doesn't mean I am willing to go with an inferior cable provider in order to get the product I want.
davdukes4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #150 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwayAllDay View Post

It will but it will have to without many of us buying Panini boxes and or cases. I am not paying money for a case with those redemption points as hits.