Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
efish44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,320
Default Pick Ups at the Card Shop

I'm in Florida for the week and went to the local shop. He was just getting back from the national and the place was a mess and everything was boxed up. I asked if he had any Skins and he said he had some RG3s, but they were all boxed up. He was reluctant, but he looked for me because I told him I was out of town. He ended up pulling out these two beauties. I just wish I could have gone through all of his stuff.

I got the pair for $250

/25

[IMG][/IMG]
__________________
I collect football and some basketball. I love all DC teams and the Orioles FEAR THE TURTLE Hail to the Redskins
Looking for: 2011 inception red autos /25 35 of 36 (97%) Need: Julio Jones
Photobucket: http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m505/efish44/
efish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jef
Member
 
Jef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,036
Default

i hate to be the one to say it, but someone was going to.

i'd get the money back for the Rookie Ticket at least. nothing about the signature construction is similar to how RG3 actually signs, and there are a ton of known issues with these. a lot of fakes have been graded of both the /238 and the /50.

frankly, and i very very well may be wrong, but i've never been convinced of the top one either. all of those autographs look bad - i dont like the "III" or the "10" in those at all, even if the "R" is closer.

not to mention the fact about the whole "out of town" thing and him being reluctant to show you these cards. i dont want to make too much of it, but definitely hope you can get your money back for the rookie ticket.
__________________
http://jef010.imgur.com/
Updated October 3, 2014

Last edited by Jef; 08-05-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Jef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
efish44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef View Post
i hate to be the one to say it, but someone was going to.

i'd get the money back for the Rookie Ticket at least. nothing about the signature construction is similar to how RG3 actually signs, and there are a ton of known issues with these. a lot of fakes have been graded of both the /238 and the /50.

frankly, and i very very well may be wrong, but i've never been convinced of the top one either. all of those autographs look bad - i dont like the "III" or the "10" in those at all, even if the "R" is closer.
I'm pretty sure that is the way he signed the second batch of contenders there was a thread on here about it not to recently. I could be wrong though.
__________________
I collect football and some basketball. I love all DC teams and the Orioles FEAR THE TURTLE Hail to the Redskins
Looking for: 2011 inception red autos /25 35 of 36 (97%) Need: Julio Jones
Photobucket: http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m505/efish44/
efish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,668
Default

congrats on the pickups
__________________
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/willnbeebs/

I'M NOT A SV TRADER OR SV SELLER. NO REPLY=IGNORE LIST MORE THEN LIKELY.
ft28jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
RandysHobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,182
Default

DEF looks like a fake to me. Not 100 percent sure though.
__________________
Check my COMC port and send me offers dammit.

Please lemme know if you have anything Jimmer Fredette!
RandysHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jef
Member
 
Jef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,036
Default

the loop on the R is just not the way he signs, in terms of overall shape. RG3 signatures, throughout their evolution, have not begun so far up to make an actual loop swinging down from the top, down to the left, and then up and around. (i know how awful of a job that is of explaining it).

i really, really think you should get your money back if you can. get on ebay now and grab a nice Rookie Ticket with the original signature form and get ready for the season! i dont mean to sound insulting in any way - would just hate for anyone (especially a fellow rg3 fan) to get ripped off.
__________________
http://jef010.imgur.com/
Updated October 3, 2014

Last edited by Jef; 08-05-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Jef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
efish44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef View Post
the loop on the R is just not the way he signs, in terms of overall shape. RG3 signatures, throughout their evolution, have not begun so far up to make an actual loop swinging down from the top, down to the left, and then up and around. (i know how awful of a job that is of explaining it).

i really, really think you should get your money back if you can. get on ebay now and grab a nice Rookie Ticket with the original signature form and get ready for the season! i dont mean to sound insulting in any way - would just hate for anyone (especially a fellow rg3 fan) to get ripped off.
The R did look a little sketchy to me too. It would be a major pain to return it as they are closed for the day and I leave tomorrow. I just don't know because it does look close to most of the sigs he uses on the contenders. And by no means are you insulting I appreciate your insight.
__________________
I collect football and some basketball. I love all DC teams and the Orioles FEAR THE TURTLE Hail to the Redskins
Looking for: 2011 inception red autos /25 35 of 36 (97%) Need: Julio Jones
Photobucket: http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m505/efish44/
efish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jef
Member
 
Jef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,036
Default

there are a lot on ebay with this style signature:
2012 Panini Contenders Robert Griffin III RC Rookie Ticket SP 50 Auto BGS 9 5 | eBay
2012 Panini Contenders Robert Griffin Rookie Auto Signature PSA 10 Gem Mint | eBay

im not convinced about these either, and it isint a coincidence that many of the variations are signed with this one - the same variations where far more have been graded than were supposed to exist. the grading situation isnt proof, of course, but it stinks like crazy. when you consider that many of the questionable autographs of rg3 and wilson have been submitted by the same sellers and are in the PSA registry consecutively, it just is a bad situation.

the consensus is that this style is real and the others are best to avoid
2012 Playoff Contenders Robert Griffin III RG3 Cracked Ice Auto RC 20 | eBay
__________________
http://jef010.imgur.com/
Updated October 3, 2014
Jef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
efish44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef View Post
there are a lot on ebay with this style signature:
2012 Panini Contenders Robert Griffin III RC Rookie Ticket SP 50 Auto BGS 9 5 | eBay
2012 Panini Contenders Robert Griffin Rookie Auto Signature PSA 10 Gem Mint | eBay

im not convinced about these either, and it isint a coincidence that many of the variations are signed with this one - the same variations where far more have been graded than were supposed to exist. the grading situation isnt proof, of course, but it stinks like crazy. when you consider that many of the questionable autographs of rg3 and wilson have been submitted by the same sellers and are in the PSA registry consecutively, it just is a bad situation.

the consensus is that this style is real and the others are best to avoid
2012 Playoff Contenders Robert Griffin III RG3 Cracked Ice Auto RC 20 | eBay

I agree that the one to buy is the bottom one and the others aren't great looking. I just don't think I can return it as I leave tomorrow. I would normally submit it for grading, but that probably wouldn't tell me anything.
__________________
I collect football and some basketball. I love all DC teams and the Orioles FEAR THE TURTLE Hail to the Redskins
Looking for: 2011 inception red autos /25 35 of 36 (97%) Need: Julio Jones
Photobucket: http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m505/efish44/
efish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
deltapi1049's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San antonio
Posts: 3,380
Default

Same thing happened with a ton of the Panini Patterson cards I wanted to buy. They dont send reps out to all their signings, which means there is a big opening for guys to use ghost signers.
__________________
My Adrian Peterson Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/adrian-peterson

My Cordarrelle Patterson Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/cordarrelle-patterson
deltapi1049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by efish44 View Post
I agree that the one to buy is the bottom one and the others aren't great looking. I just don't think I can return it as I leave tomorrow. I would normally submit it for grading, but that probably wouldn't tell me anything.
they're going to dock you for the auto going off the edge on the contenders, i'm pretty sure. it won't be a 10 auto
__________________
http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/ryanoliver6/library/
Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.