Blowout Cards Forums
March Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Greg Hardy Case Dismissed

Like I said all along, I never believed he did to her what she was claiming

I still think "something" happened, but I believe that something to be her all coked out of her mind, attacking him, him pushing her off of him and maybe falling over and she just screamed bloody murder.

There were WAY too many holes in her story, inconsistencies in her comments, and just way too many red flags on her end of things for me to believe her side of the story.

Then after it came out a week ago that the prosecutors had no idea where she was and that they were no longer expecting her to show up for the trial, it even furthered my belief that this was her attempt at getting something out of this.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for somehow supporting domestic violence from this, but I followed quite a bit of this case from the start with an open mind and I just never believed what she had to say. To me the biggest thing was just that if he did to her anywhere close to what she claimed, there is no way there wouldn't have been significant injuries, yet all that was ever documented was minor bruises, not indicative of a man his size throwing around a woman of her size and smashing body parts with hard objects as she claimed.

Last edited by zonacats8; 02-09-2015 at 11:23 AM.
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

These "Crying Wolf" scenarios were bound to happen with how the NFL was put in the spotlight for botching the Ray Rice punishment. I don't support domestic violence, obviously, and I do believe nothing is certain until after a thorough investigation. Still, I hate women that would play a victim card because they think they've go the benefit of the doubt being a defenseless women and because of the precedent set by other Sports Stars that have committed acts of domestic violence.

"Always with them negative waves"- Oddball
"Uh-uh, I don't tip"- Mr. Pink
ajlaxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Does this change the fact that their were reports that the Panthers will let him go? I would think they would need him in 15!
BearsFaninCltNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsFaninCltNC View Post
Does this change the fact that their were reports that the Panthers will let him go? I would think they would need him in 15!
doubtful

I think there is one chance and only one chance he plays for the Panthers next year

If he's willing to take a 1 year deal at the vet minimum

He has said that he'd play for free this year for the Panthers as he wants to stay in Carolina, well, if he's serious, he should take a year at the minimum seeing as he just made like $15 million for playing 1 game.

Outside of that (and even that I'm not so sure our owner would be willing to do) I can't see anyway he comes back, that money would be much better spent elsewhere like OT, WR, and DB
Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

ya, panthers will be fine through draft and free agency. If he plays for less pay, man they could be explosive again on D.

Little tired of Richardson and his squeaky clean persona of a team though! Panthers never get who I wanted in past. I watch their games as its all I have in Charlotte here most of the time. But in no way will I ever convert from Bears fan unless he sold the team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
doubtful

I think there is one chance and only one chance he plays for the Panthers next year

If he's willing to take a 1 year deal at the vet minimum

He has said that he'd play for free this year for the Panthers as he wants to stay in Carolina, well, if he's serious, he should take a year at the minimum seeing as he just made like $15 million for playing 1 game.

Outside of that (and even that I'm not so sure our owner would be willing to do) I can't see anyway he comes back, that money would be much better spent elsewhere like OT, WR, and DB
BearsFaninCltNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Quote:
Like I said all along, I never believed he did to her what she was claiming

I still think "something" happened, but I believe that something to be her all coked out of her mind, attacking him, him pushing her off of him and maybe falling over and she just screamed bloody murder.

There were WAY too many holes in her story, inconsistencies in her comments, and just way too many red flags on her end of things for me to believe her side of the story.

Then after it came out a week ago that the prosecutors had no idea where she was and that they were no longer expecting her to show up for the trial, it even furthered my belief that this was her attempt at getting something out of this.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for somehow supporting domestic violence from this, but I followed quite a bit of this case from the start with an open mind and I just never believed what she had to say. To me the biggest thing was just that if he did to her anywhere close to what she claimed, there is no way there wouldn't have been significant injuries, yet all that was ever documented was minor bruises, not indicative of a man his size throwing around a woman of her size and smashing body parts with hard objects as she claimed.
So what was she trying to get if she didn't show up?

Could be very easily, she didn't show up because she didin't want to get the guy in anymore trouble. Happens all the time with these types of cases.

Sorry, you don't get arrested for Domestic Violence by not doing anything. Police thought it was enough to arrest him, so they did.

He just off because she didn't show up. In the state of Michigan, he wouldn't have had that luxury. The state picks up the case regardless.

Last edited by groundsupport; 02-09-2015 at 11:47 AM.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsFaninCltNC View Post
ya, panthers will be fine through draft and free agency. If he plays for less pay, man they could be explosive again on D.

Little tired of Richardson and his squeaky clean persona of a team though! Panthers never get who I wanted in past. I watch their games as its all I have in Charlotte here most of the time. But in no way will I ever convert from Bears fan unless he sold the team!
Can you really blame him after the Rae Carruth disaster?

It does upset me at times because we pass on quality players who might have the smallest character issue, but if you believe in your staff and team, you should believe that small issues can be squashed before becoming something serious.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
So what was she trying to get if she didn't show up?

Could be very easily, she didn't show up because she didin't want to get the guy in anymore trouble. Happens all the time with these types of cases.
She was trying to get an early settlement from him and when it didn't work out, this happened. She knew that at a jury trial she didn't stand a chance, because her story was terrible with zero evidence to back it up.

She almost skipped the early trial stuff too, but nobody seemed to care about that (or even know because ESPN's awesome reporting missed it or really just didn't care as it didn't fit the narrative they were trying to push on the world).

She was so late to the initial trial that the judge was pretty close to tossing the case back then as she was something like 4 or 5 hours late for court and her lawyers and prosecutors had no idea where she was.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
She was trying to get an early settlement from him and when it didn't work out, this happened. She knew that at a jury trial she didn't stand a chance, because her story was terrible with zero evidence to back it up.

She almost skipped the early trial stuff too, but nobody seemed to care about that (or even know because ESPN's awesome reporting missed it).

She was so late to the initial trial that the judge was pretty close to tossing the case back then as she was something like 4 or 5 hours late for court and her lawyers and prosecutors had no idea where she was.

Like I said, in the State Of Michigan, he wouldn't have the charges thrown out. State Of Michigan takes the DV case regardless if the accuser/victim shows up in court. He just got lucky she didn't show and/or persue getting him in more trouble.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Like I said, in the State Of Michigan, he wouldn't have the charges thrown out. State Of Michigan takes the DV case regardless if the accuser/victim shows up in court. He just got lucky she didn't show and/or persue getting him in more trouble.
Not really, because he would have just gone through the trial and been found not guilty because there was no evidence to him doing anything to her outside of her claims, that was LITERALLY the only evidence, not even any proof of injuries to her, not a single picture because she refused to be examined after the fact by a doctor (maybe because the police reports of "minor bruises and scratches" didn't fit hit her story of being thrown and dragged around the room by an NFL defensive lineman and having body parts slammed between hard objects)

This would have been over last year had it not been Carolina law that this had to be a bench trial first. Had it gone to a jury initially he would have been found not guilty.

I said this before, the judge was an award winning women's activist who was currently up for re-election, and knew that even with a guilty verdict, according to Carolina law, it would go to a jury trial with the initial verdict 100% thrown out and it would be a new trial.

She had NOTHING to gain from giving him a not guilty verdict as all it would have done was upset people in her area when she was running for re-election.

Nobody in his camp was expecting to get out of that trial with a not guilty verdict, regardless of what was said at the trial
Old 02-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

How does one get arrested for Domestic Violence, when there is no proof of Domestic Violence?

Let me guess, the cops didn't know what they were doing when they arrested and charged him with Domestic Violence at 4:30 in the Morning.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
How does one get arrested for Domestic Violence, when there is no proof of Domestic Violence?

Let me guess, the cops didn't know what they were doing when they arrested and charged him with Domestic Violence at 4:30 in the Morning.
Because anytime there is any sort of DV claim like this, the male is just about ALWAYS taken into custody as procedure.

Hell, she never even called the cops, it was Hardy who called the cops, and when the cops showed up, what did she do?

That's right, SHE RAN, the responding officer said that the second she saw him as he showed up, she ran in the opposite direction. Which is why the officer wasn't called as a witness by the prosecution, but the defense called him as a witness.

And to your last post, they didn't dismiss the case because she didn't show up, they still could have proceeded with their case. But seeing as the only evidence they had was her story and them hoping the jury would believe her, they had no choice but to drop it or waste money and time on an un-winnable case
Old 02-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

If this happened in North Carolina, I believe an arrest has to be made if there is a claim of domestic violence.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyguy View Post
If this happened in North Carolina, I believe an arrest has to be made if there is a claim of domestic violence.
I find this kind of hard to believe. Not saying your wrong. But to arrested and charged with assult with out signs of an assult is mind boggling.

The cop had to have seen some kind sign of a struggle/altercation. I should look up the police report. It would
Old 02-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I find this kind of hard to believe. Not saying your wrong. But to arrested and charged with assult with out signs of an assult is mind boggling.

The cop had to have seen some kind sign of a struggle/altercation. I should look up the police report. It would
You make it sound like anyone who is arrested and charged with any crime is automatically guilty.

You do realize that in DV cases, the police/law almost always side with the accuser initially because of the ramifications if they don't and are wrong
Old 02-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

This is from 2009, so unless they have changed something:
https://www.chetson.com/2009/12/five...-criminal-law/

2) How will the police treat a call involving a domestic violence matter?

Generally, a call involving a report of domestic violence will be followed by an arrest. In the olden days, police might respond to a call involving domestic violence, and simply tell both the husband and wife or boyfriend and girlfriend to take a break. Or the woman, who had been hit by her partner, would tell the police that it was “no big deal” and the police would leave the scene, only to be called back later in the evening when, usually, the husband or boyfriend had beat the heck out of the woman.

Beginning in the 1980s, aided particularly by women’s advocacy organizations, police departments around the country began to reform procedures. Today, many police departments operate under a “shall arrest” policy, which means that even if both the man and woman insist that everything is ok, someone will be arrested.

Sometimes the person who called the police will be arrested if the police believe that the person who called them instigated the fight.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

Quote:

She almost skipped the early trial stuff too, but nobody seemed to care about that (or even know because ESPN's awesome reporting missed it or really just didn't care as it didn't fit the narrative they were trying to push on the world).

Amazes me how some fans will fight tooth and nail for athletes like they are their family. Why put so much effort in if people disagree.

Last edited by wheeler281; 02-09-2015 at 12:32 PM.
wheeler281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler281 View Post
Amazes me how some fans will fight tooth and nail for athletes like they are their family.
I don't necessarily like the guy, I've always felt he was a hothead idiot.

It amazes me how some people refuse to look into facts of cases themselves and just go off of what places like ESPN say to follow their agenda of sensationalizing the story to fit their needs.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
This is from 2009, so unless they have changed something:
https://www.chetson.com/2009/12/five...-criminal-law/

[I]2) How will the police treat a call involving a domestic violence matter?

Generally, a call involving a report of domestic violence will be followed by an arrest. In the olden days, police might respond to a call involving domestic violence, and simply tell both the husband and wife or boyfriend and girlfriend to take a break. Or the woman, who had been hit by her partner, would tell the police that it was “no big deal” and the police would leave the scene, only to be called back later in the evening when, usually, the husband or boyfriend had beat the heck out of the woman.

Beginning in the 1980s, aided particularly by women’s advocacy organizations, police departments around the country began to reform procedures. Today, many police departments operate under a “shall arrest” policy, which means that even if both the man and woman insist that everything is ok, someone will be arrested.

Sometimes the person who called the police will be arrested if the police believe that the person who called them instigated the fight.[/I]
There it is. I was going to say. You don't get arrested for doing nothing wrong in a spousal fight/argument.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

Quote:
I don't necessarily like the guy, I've always felt he was a hothead idiot.

It amazes me how some people refuse to look into facts of cases themselves and just go off of what places like ESPN say to follow their agenda of sensationalizing the story to fit their needs.
Well if that's the case that's what they get for people simple minded and allowing the media to manipulate them. I don't watch ESPN other then for events. Cant remember the last time I even watched a sports center. However to sit and reply and defend seems pointless. Nobody really knows anything in these cases. You cant pretend to.
Is it good for the Panther sure. They are a weak unit that could use the help and as a fan that's all that should matter
Old 02-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Interesting. No one wonder why she didn't show up in court. He paid her off after her damning testimony in their pre trial hearing.

Quote:
Former Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy's domestic abuse trial was supposed to start this morning, but the case was dismissed when Hardy's accuser, Nicole Holder, did not show up to testify.

Hardy was convicted on counts of assault and communicating threats by a district judge last summer, but was assigned a jury trial after appealing that conviction. Prosecutors said that multiple attempts to contact Holder have failed, and so the case was dismissed this morning before the trial even started.

It is also being reported that Hardy reached some sort of civil settlement with Holder, though details of the settlement are not yet known:

Additionally, source said #Panthers DE Greg Hardy has reached a settlement with the woman. Prosecution expected to cite that settlement.

— Jason Cole (@JasonPhilCole) February 9, 2015

Holder did testify at Hardy's initial trial, where she claimed that Hardy slapped her, choked her, and threatened to kill her. "I was so scared, I wanted to die," she said at the time. "When he loosened his grip slightly, I said, 'Just do it. Kill me.'"
Old 02-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
There it is. I was going to say. You don't get arrested for doing nothing wrong in a spousal fight/argument.
Well, right above that last sentence does state that someone is typically getting arrested regardless.

So, either way. They thought he instigated it or was the aggressor or, they just figured he was bigger and the man, so arrest him.

Not sure what the police report said though. Don't really care. Don't have a dog in the domestic dispute.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

The big question...can or will the NFL do anything?
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I pull scrubs View Post
The big question...can or will the NFL do anything?
While Domestic Violence Charges Abruptly Dismissed, NFL May Still Suspend Greg Hardy - Forbes

"While the criminal charges have been dismissed against Hardy, it remains open to the NFL to suspend Hardy for a minimum of six games under the Personal Conduct Policy. Even despite the absence of a conviction on appeal, should the NFL conclude that Hardy engaged in domestic violence, it has the discretion to impose a suspension. In considering discipline, the NFL will review the entire matter, including Hardy and Holder’s statements, the ruling of Judge Thorn-Tin and any other information the league deems relevant. It may also engage an investigator, although its powers will be limited by virtue of not having subpoena power. The NFL will look long and hard at Judge Thorn-Tin’s rather decisive ruling and the level of deference it should be accorded."
Old 02-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
While Domestic Violence Charges Abruptly Dismissed, NFL May Still Suspend Greg Hardy - Forbes

"While the criminal charges have been dismissed against Hardy, it remains open to the NFL to suspend Hardy for a minimum of six games under the Personal Conduct Policy. Even despite the absence of a conviction on appeal, should the NFL conclude that Hardy engaged in domestic violence, it has the discretion to impose a suspension. In considering discipline, the NFL will review the entire matter, including Hardy and Holder’s statements, the ruling of Judge Thorn-Tin and any other information the league deems relevant. It may also engage an investigator, although its powers will be limited by virtue of not having subpoena power. The NFL will look long and hard at Judge Thorn-Tin’s rather decisive ruling and the level of deference it should be accorded."
But But But she overreacted and screamed bloody murder!

Zonacats won't like this.