Blowout Cards Forums
kris bryant

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Card Preservation / Safety Issues in PSA or BGS Cases

My question has to due with the two types of PSA card cases. In one example the PSA holder has the card suspended in the case while the other has the additional built in penny sleeve, so the card will not move. Similar to what BSG does with all there cases.

With that said, I have concerns long term about preserving cards in the PSA cases with the built in penny sleeve and in BGS cases with the built in penny sleeve. My fear is like with any paper object or glossy photo pressed against another surface with no air in between for a long and consistent period time; if you ever went to remove it, damaged could be done to the surface of the card.

To illustrate my point, I went to take some old wedding photos for my parents out of a glass picture frame they had them in for 20 years and the photo wound up sticking to the glass and they could not be removed. I have a similar fear of something happening to my cards in those PSA and BSG holders with the built in penny selves.

Has anyone every thought of this or had a similar concern or perspective they can share on this topic ?
Attached Thumbnails
Card Preservation / Safety Issues in PSA or BGS Cases-arod-example.jpg   Card Preservation / Safety Issues in PSA or BGS Cases-arod-example-2.jpg  
buyer1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting point. I know that I had some 91 Stadium club and the finish they used on the cards would stick to each other over time. This issue was solved by leaving them in my garage during a heat spell and it made the cards finish flexible enough to not stick. Fluid went to its more natural state and cards did not stick to one another.
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

that is an interesting story, those early stadium club cards had a lot of issues sticking together from what i can remember. i assume the heat neutralized the moisture that built up over time. curious if anyone had a simliar issue or concern over the cases.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

yeah don't think it was the moisture but the finish compound on the surface. They "cracked" open a whole lot easier.
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just a question.......

Why even bother getting a card graded/slabbed if you feel that at some point in time you will want to remove it from the slab?

Not trying to be critical, just curious here. I'm not big on grading. If there's a card I want and it happens to be graded I'll still buy it, but I don't go out of my way to buy a graded card and would probably prefer an ungraded card if I can get it at a lower price.

But again, if you plan on having the card outside the slab, then why get it slabbed to begin with?
Collecting Virginia Tech Hokies in their college uniforms - Including Bruce Smith, Antonio Freeman, Michael Vick, Lee Suggs, Kevin Jones, DeAngelo Hall, Xavier Adibi, Josh Morgan, Brandon Flowers, Eddie Royal, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Williams, Jarrett Boykin, Marcus Davis, Corey Fuller, Dyrell Roberts, Logan Thomas, Kyle Fuller, and Antone Exum.
CharlotteHokie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I believe the mylar sleeve they use is PVC free and archival material if I recall correctly. I have had some Brett Hull cards in soft sleeve and semi rigid for 27 years, took a few out the other day and they were still mint no residue.

Kevin

Be at Peace little one. Never forget, Leoneez
KevJo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

I believe there is a smidge of room in the cases. None of my PSA cards seem to be flush against the plastic the same way a glossy photo against glass is pressed. I think the hint of "rattling" in the case that has previously freaked out collectors also keeps it from "sticking" to the case.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteHokie View Post
Just a question.......

Why even bother getting a card graded/slabbed if you feel that at some point in time you will want to remove it from the slab?

Not trying to be critical, just curious here. I'm not big on grading. If there's a card I want and it happens to be graded I'll still buy it, but I don't go out of my way to buy a graded card and would probably prefer an ungraded card if I can get it at a lower price.

But again, if you plan on having the card outside the slab, then why get it slabbed to begin with?
yes that is a good point, i was just curious really. i have some cards from the 50's that are graded by PSA that i want to pass on to my kids one day. just thinking years down the line if it would cause an issue in any of these cases.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevJo View Post
I believe the mylar sleeve they use is PVC free and archival material if I recall correctly. I have had some Brett Hull cards in soft sleeve and semi rigid for 27 years, took a few out the other day and they were still mint no residue.

Kevin
hi kevin,

thanks for sharing that is good to know. from what i gather if it is a mylar material we should be ok long term.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenzy View Post
I believe there is a smidge of room in the cases. None of my PSA cards seem to be flush against the plastic the same way a glossy photo against glass is pressed. I think the hint of "rattling" in the case that has previously freaked out collectors also keeps it from "sticking" to the case.
agree that is what i was concerned about
Old 06-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyer1717 View Post
hi kevin,

thanks for sharing that is good to know. from what i gather if it is a mylar material we should be ok long term.
No problem!

Kevin

Be at Peace little one. Never forget, Leoneez
KevJo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

just as a follow up i called PSA today and they said they use mylar in there holders.