Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Forum FAQs

Forum FAQs Frequently Asked Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default How to avoid thread bumping infractions

Ok guys..given the continuing rash of thread bumping issues I'm trying to help figure ways to avoid this. I thought this might help. Please make any comments you can to help this. I'll try and add to this with the suggestions and/or questions when they arrise. Because believe it or not I really dont like sending those Pm's or issuing the infractions.

Below are the two most common violations we're seeing.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Do you have multiple posts you need to make in your thread?

Do not reply to each post individually. This creates the bumping infractions. Since each new post "bumps' your thread back to the top of the forum message que.

When responding to multiple people..click the quotation marks at the lower right corner of the post.

Here's an example:

Once you've clicked the quotation marks for the posts you want to respond to go to the bottom of the thread and click the reply button.

This brings you to a new screen where you can respond to each post.

Now type your desired response

Once your ready to post it - click the submit reply button and your post will be added to the thread.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Do not Bump your own thread.

Do not Bump your own thread.

Here's an example. You create a thread on 7/18 @ 2000. You can't post again on there till 7/19 @ 2001 (this allows for the 24 hours to have passed). Time is kept at the bottom of the forum (and its just below a private message). Every post you make is time stamped. If 24 hours have not passed but you want to add cards to the for sale/trade thread, you need to edit the original post.

The image below is a bad example as its only a 1 minute bump...but 1 minute, 20 minutes, 2 hours, 23 hours 59 minutes....its a bump - help us avoid sending the dreaded Thread Bump Warning PM...or worse yet Suspensions!

Do not try and circumvent the rules by posting cards in duplicate areas. This is typically treated as bumping and will not only the thread bumping infraction, but \both threads will be deleted!

Last edited by admin_blowoutcards; 02-10-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: edited
iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Do Not List the Same Card in Duplciate Areas

This is considered avoiding the thread bumping rules and will be enforced accordingly. It doubles a cards exposure and we're trying to keep the buy/sell/trading area as clutter free as we can and still give everyone equal opportunity for their transactions.

So If you've got a Verlander Autographed Rookie Card in one thread (say its own thread)

Then later on decide to include it with some other cards to create a lot you must wait the required 24 hours (per thread bumping rules) before posting this. Editing your first post is also recommended since this will help avoid any confusion on the moderators part.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

last reserved spot
Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

question.. most sites have a 8 hr bump rule..this site is so bust that an hour or sometimes 30 mins after u post a b/s/t it is on page 2 within 3 hours its 3 pages deep and no one will see.. could we possibly consider a 12 hour bump rule so you can post something in morning then if no hits bump it once for the nighttime crowd,,just a suggestion and this should also cut down on thread bumping violations
JDK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

The most common bumps are "Pm sent" & "pm returned".
SelfDestruct808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK16 View Post
question.. most sites have a 8 hr bump rule..this site is so bust that an hour or sometimes 30 mins after u post a b/s/t it is on page 2 within 3 hours its 3 pages deep and no one will see.. could we possibly consider a 12 hour bump rule so you can post something in morning then if no hits bump it once for the nighttime crowd,,just a suggestion and this should also cut down on thread bumping violations
In my opinion, all this would do is bury your threads to almost the same depth at twice the speed.

Well done fishy! Your posts are pretty creative and most informative.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Like Wheeler said, there are only so many threads that go on each page, so that isn't going to help things.

If you have in-demand cards for sale and include all the relevant info and a DESCRIPTIVE thread title, people will find them regardless of what page they are on. The search function and "new posts" listing ensures that.

If you have junk nobody wants, all the bumping in the world isn't going to make them sell.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfDestruct808 View Post
The most common bumps are "Pm sent" & "pm returned".
the most annoying post you will ever see on this board. We don't give a #@#@#@#@ if you are sending pm's don't clutter with this crap.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
That would just make it worse. If it gets at least 8 pages a day, if you have them that often, even less threads would be seen.
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with this. I know others are saying that it buries your thread faster but that's not the whole picture. I think an 8 hour thread bump rule would be much better for everyone. Sure your thread may get buried faster but it allows you to expose your sale/trade to different groups of people in the same day. Not everyone is on at the same time. Some people are on mostly during the day at work and spend most of their evenings with the family, while others just get on in the evening after work. If your stuck in a 24hr cycle it really limits the different groups that visit this forum every day. Like it or not, there are a ton of members on here that don't use the search feature to find cards for sale so that eliminates nothing. I am a member of another site that has an 8 hour cycle and you get alot more exposure=sales/trades.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

An easy solution to the problem of missing audience is to bump at different times. Say you posted your BST thread at noon, the next day, bump it at 4. Then at 8 the next night. Using this or a similar method you don't break the 24 hour rule an you can get your thread near the top for different audiences.
Original Boski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Boski View Post
An easy solution to the problem of missing audience is to bump at different times. Say you posted your BST thread at noon, the next day, bump it at 4. Then at 8 the next night. Using this or a similar method you don't break the 24 hour rule an you can get your thread near the top for different audiences.
I understand what your saying, but not all of us can be online at the perfect time to bump our threads with such planning. Lowering the bump rule is not about being a bump fiend, it's about having more chances at exposing you thread to more people, even if your not online all of the time. What is the harm?
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
I understand what your saying, but not all of us can be online at the perfect time to bump our threads with such planning. Lowering the bump rule is not about being a bump fiend, it's about having more chances at exposing you thread to more people, even if your not online all of the time. What is the harm?
Becoming too cluttered to the point that you'd see a thread up every 2 minutes and it would be pretty hard to read through. As bad as it now with 5 pages getting you only a few hours back, would be even worse with the new bumps.
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
I agree that the B/S/T threads and only these should be changed to 8 hrs. If you are trying to trade for cards to fill a set it is very difficult to do it when you can only bump the thread once per day.

There are way to many threads being started that have absolutely no benefit but to make someone feel better about themselves for wasting others time, and this quickly pushes relevant threads to the back of the bus.

As we all know, not many exercise the search function so to say they can just search for these types of threads doesn't fly.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Becoming too cluttered to the point that you'd see a thread up every 2 minutes and it would be pretty hard to read through. As bad as it now with 5 pages getting you only a few hours back, would be even worse with the new bumps.
It really depends on the time of day. If you post early in the morning or after 8 pm in the evening, your thread will stay there for a decent amount of time. I've been on here a while and have noticed that there are definately surge times when it comes to new posts. It's not like your thread will disappear right away every time you bump it. The sweet spot to me seems like 6-8PM central time. That is when the threads disappear quickly. Having said that, what would be the disadvantages of letting people bump every 8 hours?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #18 (permalink)

I take it, the 8 hour bump is a dead issue?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bael6 View Post
I take it, the 8 hour bump is a dead issue?
its a dead issue same as you paying for the cards you said u would buy 3 days ago,, ..full of excuses over a 10 dollar lot
JDK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

If the "rules" were being followed 100% all the time then people would be multi quoting and waiting the 24hrs, I'll admit I might not wait 24hrs sometimes it's like 23hrs and 10 mins but I figure that's not the problem here.

I've got a question about bumping. Let's say I post something for sale/trade @ 11:00 am and somebody post a comment/question a couple hours or so later, I'm guessing we're allowed to respond in the thread unless being asked to pm.

Also same scenario but instead they say something like "nice cards" or "posting here to remind myself to check later" then @ 11:00 am the next day can you post again since it's been 24hrs for you or would you have to wait for 24hrs until after their post?

A suggestion that was posted before that I still believe is a good idea is to give "Trading" and "Selling" it's own thread, perhaps even a separate thread just for "Buying"
Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportCardBuffet View Post
I've got a question about bumping. Let's say I post something for sale/trade @ 11:00 am and somebody post a comment/question a couple hours or so later, I'm guessing we're allowed to respond in the thread unless being asked to pm.

Also same scenario but instead they say something like "nice cards" or "posting here to remind myself to check later" then @ 11:00 am the next day can you post again since it's been 24hrs for you or would you have to wait for 24hrs until after their post?

A suggestion that was posted before that I still believe is a good idea is to give "Trading" and "Selling" it's own thread, perhaps even a separate thread just for "Buying"
23 hours and 10 min if caught will land you on the thread bumping island. The rules state "DO NOT bump your thread to the top unless it has been idle for more than 24 hours" that's not 23 hours and 10 min. Seems trivial but others have had their threads deleted and/or suspended and to be fair they must be applied equally.

As for the replying - yes you can reply. The rule is setup for consecutive posts (or so that was the nature when it was implemented). This allows you to have conversations if needed - although most typically once a response is made are done via pm's. So once someone else posts - essentially there is no time clock. the time clock would start i f you posted at 3:32 pm, then if no one has posted, you need to wait till 3:33 pm tomorrow to post again on that thread.

The only issue with having all the subforums is that it just takes more work and for say me as a buyer I've got 3 places I now need to look for something. Minor and since I use the forum search options quite a bit probably not a big deal - but the idea is not to really copy anyone else's forum setup either. Simpler to me is better and easier. Same goes for a seller - your going to likely have 1/3 of the exposure you would have since you cant then go and make 3 different threads (remembering that ideally you have no more than 1 thread per sport per day).
Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

I have seen the 8 hour bumping rule be effective , when responding to a post in ones thread it does bump the thread but it is not intentional, for responding is expected , but to be more curtious to others I usually send PM's to thread inquiries , and after so many 3 or more will then respond once to all in that thread ,
gingerscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerscards View Post
I have seen the 8 hour bumping rule be effective , when responding to a post in ones thread it does bump the thread but it is not intentional, for responding is expected , but to be more curtious to others I usually send PM's to thread inquiries , and after so many 3 or more will then respond once to all in that thread ,
Another idea from SCF that isn't at all necessary for here.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

yeah as is you following me around to point this out , though everyone was enititle to a opinion seems your is only in disagreement with mine lol ,I am feelin gmy way aorund here and obviously it is different but if SCF so wrong according to you then why you a active member there ? seems to work well from what I have seen , for sure weeds out the abusers and trolls
gingerscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

I haven't been on there in over a year since power-hungry chillydoggy banned me.