Blowout Cards Forums
cowboys (2016 FB)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GAMING

GAMING Post Your Gaming Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What happened to Pokemon Sun & Moon Booster Box prices?

Sometime this past week, prices of Sun & Moon booster boxes on eBay went from about $85 down to $60. Anybody have any idea why this happened, especially so quickly? Thanks

sun moon booster box -elite in Pokemon Trading Card Packs | eBay
AwesomeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeJuice View Post
Sometime this past week, prices of Sun & Moon booster boxes on eBay went from about $85 down to $60. Anybody have any idea why this happened, especially so quickly? Thanks

Be careful.

There are FAKE Pokemon boxes being passed as REAL ones.

Double check on the sellers before making your purchase.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeJuice View Post

Like Mario said, be careful... $60 is below factory cost.. Lots of Chinese fakes when it comes to pokemon, even sealed product.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Another possible reason --- Guardians Rising is coming out in May. And from what I have seen and read online, it is a MUCH better set.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino13 View Post
Another possible reason --- Guardians Rising is coming out in May. And from what I have seen and read online, it is a MUCH better set.
I've been talking to a friend who's brother owns a comic/game shop and says Sun & Moon Sales have been underwhelming. He attributes some of the slump to post Christmas time in which he always see's sales in "kids" products drop off. He was having a hard time keeping anything Pokemon in stock over the holidays. But stuff has just been sitting since.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
I've been talking to a friend who's brother owns a comic/game shop and says Sun & Moon Sales have been underwhelming. He attributes some of the slump to post Christmas time in which he always see's sales in "kids" products drop off. He was having a hard time keeping anything Pokemon in stock over the holidays. But stuff has just been sitting since.

I love them SM --- and especially when they are around "Dealer's pricing" for the case --- I am hoarding them as much as I can.

I doubt that I can do that with Guardians Rising though.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I love them SM --- and especially when they are around "Dealer's pricing" for the case --- I am hoarding them as much as I can.

I doubt that I can do that with Guardians Rising though.
I think they'll be a good "long term" product. With so many cards being a hard pull it should hold value pretty well.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I think they'll be a good "long term" product. With so many cards being a hard pull it should hold value pretty well.

Not only that (since I am a PSA collector), it is EXTREMELY difficult to get them highend inserts at high grade.

From my experience of opening up about 15 boxes -- less than 10% of the highend inserts are grade-able at either "9 or better". Most have factory damages on them.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Not only that (since I am a PSA collector), it is EXTREMELY difficult to get them highend inserts at high grade.

From my experience of opening up about 15 boxes -- less than 10% of the highend inserts are grade-able at either "9 or better". Most have factory damages on them.
I noticed that as my son and i have been opening stuff. Lots of issues with the edges and centering. It feels like it was really rushed out with that and the mapping issue.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I noticed that as my son and i have been opening stuff. Lots of issues with the edges and centering. It feels like it was really rushed out with that and the mapping issue.

There is a market for Off-Center cards --- only the rares and holo are in demand.

Beside the edges, take a close look of the holo and highend --- you will see scrubs and factory lines running down the cards and some are on the corners.

As for mapping, since I only buy by sealed boxes and cases, this doesnt affect me. I do not buy loose packs.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
There is a market for Off-Center cards --- only the rares and holo are in demand.
For sure. I've been selling Korean Holos and about a quarter are off center. But it doesn't seem to be effecting sales at all.

Quote:
As for mapping, since I only buy by sealed boxes and cases, this doesnt affect me. I do not buy loose packs.
Neither do i, but it has put some people off quite a bit.