Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Hobby Shop Locator

Hobby Shop Locator Find a local Hobby Shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default LCS Ripoff or Am I just Cheap

I recently visited a LCS in Albuquerque, New Mexico and wanted to purchase a few boxes not really sure what i wanted but looked up some stuff on Blowout cards for prices. I used to visit this guy pretty regularly in the past and was always pretty satisfied but when i saw the prices i was in shock. A box of UFC series 4 for $90 box of topps chrome for $110 box of TTT for almost $300 the guy had ufc autos for $80 or more on thats for the low end guys. I didnt see a single pack of cards for less then $5 i walked out within 5 min the looked at me and said find anything you like i just shook my head and said i guess i cant afford it. Are alot of LCS like this i was maybe expecting to pay an extra $5 or $10 a box but i mean come on when you can come on here and buy two or three boxes for the price of one. Sorry so long im just in shock still
sserrano49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Thats normal. They have to pay for electricity and etc. and must resell things they buy for at least a few bucks more.
bballcards10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

No, it's not normal. Those prices are ridiculous. Of course you're going to pay more at the LCS, but those prices are way out of wack.

I deal wax at card shows and I know a lot of LCS owners, and I don't know one of them that would charge $300 for TTT or $110 for Chrome. $180-210 for TTT and $65-80 on Chrome is the range I've seen at every LCS and show table I've visited.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am always defending LCSs, but those prices are very high. But chances are, if he is charging them, someone is paying them.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I mean i understand its a business but honestly with prices that high he just lost a potential customer. I would rather give my money to a local owner but im not going to pay double the price that i can get here.
sserrano49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to MCAutoGraphs

most LCS are about a $20-$30 price hike, though you usually can get some sort of deals if LCS is nice enough & bein loyal customers etc* - I get usually .50-$1.00 off packs that I buy but only buy my boxes from B.O. pretty much 99% of the time, though you wait for shipping time I agree I'd rather buy 2-3 boxes from B.O. than 1 from a LCS....just depends I guess.

And as I've heard before as well, better luck going through B.O. than LCS cuz you never know if someone already got the hot box or case hit (not including the shops that search their own packs) theres no risk, you either get a good box or a bad one but least you know it's not tampered with cuz let's face it, there are alot of shady shops out there!!

- blowout is awesome & so is this forum, has helped me tons in such a little time!
Find me on FB under Memorabilia Craze 4 Contests & Specials, Twitter @ Memorabilia_Now
MCAutoGraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAutoGraphs View Post
most LCS are about a $20-$30 price hike, though you usually can get some sort of deals if LCS is nice enough & bein loyal customers etc* - I get usually .50-$1.00 off packs that I buy but only buy my boxes from B.O. pretty much 99% of the time, though you wait for shipping time I agree I'd rather buy 2-3 boxes from B.O. than 1 from a LCS....just depends I guess.

And as I've heard before as well, better luck going through B.O. than LCS cuz you never know if someone already got the hot box or case hit (not including the shops that search their own packs) theres no risk, you either get a good box or a bad one but least you know it's not tampered with cuz let's face it, there are alot of shady shops out there!!

- blowout is awesome & so is this forum, has helped me tons in such a little time!
By far, Blowout is the best and cheapest I found. Those prices $110 for T Chrome or $300 for TTT is double marked up even if they pay electric, rent or other costs of running a shop!!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
By far, Blowout is the best and cheapest I found. Those prices $110 for T Chrome or $300 for TTT is double marked up even if they pay electric, rent or other costs of running a shop!!!
LOL

Maybe the LCS are starting to be like ebay sellers. You know the guys that have a $40 card at a $90 buy it now price (or best offer). Just hoping for you to offer book value!! LOL.

The only card shop in my area is expensive as hell as well. I know his rent his high because of the area it is in. He told me every day he is open he has to sell $300 worth of stuff just to break even for the day.
JOHNJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballcards10101 View Post
Thats normal. They have to pay for electricity and etc...
Well no electricity was paid for by sserrano49! LOL did you enjoy that free light dude? I don't know about that LCS but it seems like mine never has the AC on!
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know it's an old thread, but he must have visited Bubba's... the only card shop in the State. Currently on Elite FB he has a 58% mark up over BO...I assume card shops have a 20% overhead rate. Which still leaves about a 25% profit...I really need to do a case study to see if I could open a card shop and compete with this guy. Granted, I know he has some seriously loyal consumers (like me) because I hate having to wait for my cards to arrive vs having them in hand right there.

Respect goes both ways...
usafshelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

At my LCS in South Jersey, I'll be $70 on 2014 Topps Chrome Baseball, $60 on Topps Football and $100 on Jumbo.

It's a mediocre markup, but you need to flip the items, keep your customers happy, and hope they buy higher markup items too.

Guys charging $100 for Topps Chrome will be sitting on a lot of product.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

UFC series 4 costs like $40 online. Chrome 13 is reasonable but TTT is high!
EDIT: is that chrome FB or MLB?
gorillaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaz View Post
UFC series 4 costs like $40 online. Chrome 13 is reasonable but TTT is high!
EDIT: is that chrome FB or MLB?
the prices in the OP were from 4 years ago when these had just come out, so prices were higher then
Old 08-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

I remember an LCS in Maine while visiting my parents had 2007 Football Sweet Spot for $150, this was in 2010 or 2011 I think. I thought about it and as soon as he told me the price I thought to myself "Not a chance with the crap busts that came out of that draft".

"Always with them negative waves"- Oddball
"Uh-uh, I don't tip"- Mr. Pink
ajlaxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlaxmn View Post
I remember an LCS in Maine while visiting my parents had 2007 Football Sweet Spot for $150, this was in 2010 or 2011 I think. I thought about it and as soon as he told me the price I thought to myself "Not a chance with the crap busts that came out of that draft".
Curious which shop that was...
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote