Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Hobby Shop Locator

Hobby Shop Locator Find a local Hobby Shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
GA0

Default Houston, TX?

I just got into Houston a couple weeks ago (attending U of Houston), and I was wondering if there's any card stores that locals can suggest? I've been searching around on the interwebz to no avail. I'd be open to the outer communities around Houston (Katy, Pasadena, Pearland, etc.) as well.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Odyssey in Katy is the only decent shop around. Go Coogs!!
khalldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
GA0

Went to Odyssey after class today, the owner is a really cool guy to talk to. Even gave me a couple free packs of 12-13 Hoops for being a first time customer!

Thanks for the recommendation GO COOGS!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA0 View Post
Went to Odyssey after class today, the owner is a really cool guy to talk to. Even gave me a couple free packs of 12-13 Hoops for being a first time customer!

Thanks for the recommendation GO COOGS!!!
Glad you found a place - I live in pearland, we have about a dz (in the metro area) good Memorabila shops, nothing great for cards that I've seen - BTW we are no longer going to be conference competitors but GO HERD I've been to about 7 games fb and basketball at UofH, nobody goes man, you need to help change that, get your friends together and GO TO GAMES!!! The environment needs a MAJOR boost. Good luck in your academics.
Thundering24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundering24 View Post
Glad you found a place - I live in pearland, we have about a dz (in the metro area) good Memorabila shops, nothing great for cards that I've seen - BTW we are no longer going to be conference competitors but GO HERD I've been to about 7 games fb and basketball at UofH, nobody goes man, you need to help change that, get your friends together and GO TO GAMES!!! The environment needs a MAJOR boost. Good luck in your academics.
Not sure which games you went to but The Rob has been hopping the last few years.
khalldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Taking my family to Houston this weekend, will definitely check out Odyssey. Does anyone know of any more?
Jdotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

what is the address to The odyssey
theboxinguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't know if you guys need any more shops to visit. I am a graduate student at Baylor College of Medicine and I've hit just about every card store in the greater Houston area.

Houston Sports Connection is on the West side after the Beltway 8 on Westheimer. Selection is ok but i think the prices are a bit high on the wax side. Good amount of supplies. They may work with you a little bit on boxes (5% - 10% off sticker) but the prices are pretty high.

Odyssey Comics and Cards i've only been to once but the guy worked with me and sold me the rest of 09-10 UD Basketball packs (i think 9 packs for a total of $30 and still got 2 GUs and an auto). Very nice owner.

On the east side of Houston near the beltway is store called Sportscard Shack run by a nice Filipino guy. It's a small shop its with a lot of the recent sort of brands for baseball, football, and basketball. Not the biggest selection but enough. He can work deals with you too. Lots of kids go there to play gaming cards and stuff.

On the north side of Houston, there is a flea market called Armadillo Flea Market on I-45 north just exit Airtex. If you enter the front left entrance (i think it used to be a garden ridge) go straight back and you'll find a lady who sells action figures, jerseys, and a small selection of wax. I think I bought most of the basketball boxes but i remember there being 2002-03 SP Authentic bkb and a fair amount of football/baseball as well and singles/memorabilia. She works the booth and the owner is a retired cop i think and she can call the guy to see if he can knock the price down on some boxes.

The one card store I highly recommend is in Alvin, Texas. If you take 288 South to Highway 6 and go east to Alvin, and get onto Highway 35 bypass south and take a right onto E. South St. The store will be not much further and to the left. The sign to the store has been busted but this store IS WORTH THE DRIVE! It's called The Old Ballpark and this guy has some an amazing variety of sports cards and boxes. If you are really into basketball, he has tons of late 90s stuff. He has good selections of baseball and football as well as gaming stuff. This is by far the best card shop in the Houston area. If you are UH it's probably 30 minutes to get there. The guy really knows a lot about sports and there is usually 10-15 guys there on breaks chatting, talking sports, and/or busting wax. He gave me deals on some boxes and card supplies (sleeves, toploaders). I highly recommend going there.

I hope this was helpful.

Collecting all Houston Rockets players, current and former.
rocketfan86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Thanks for the update. I need to check some of these places out!
Redsmitty03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

I went to the place in Alvin tonight.
Thanks for the suggestion. Nice owner
Buying large lots of the following:1993 Pacific Triple Folders Gold, 1996 Select Certified Artistís Proof, 1997 Topps Gallery Private Issue, 1998 Collectorís Edge Masters 50 Point, 1999 Prestige SSD Spectrum Gold, 2000 Topps Gallery Private Issue, 2001 Pacific Invincible Blue, 2002 Flair Collection, 2003 Skybox LE Gold Proofs
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Anyone know of anywhere in Houston that does jersey framing for a decent price
TexasCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well I went to Michaels to get my JJ Watt jersey framed. She did an OK job. I think the Aaron Brothers place does framing of jerseys. Hobby Lobby does it too. It certainly is expensive.
Buying large lots of the following:1993 Pacific Triple Folders Gold, 1996 Select Certified Artistís Proof, 1997 Topps Gallery Private Issue, 1998 Collectorís Edge Masters 50 Point, 1999 Prestige SSD Spectrum Gold, 2000 Topps Gallery Private Issue, 2001 Pacific Invincible Blue, 2002 Flair Collection, 2003 Skybox LE Gold Proofs
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

the alvin place is called the old ballpark. i live in alvin. its a nice place
jstephens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
I went to the place in Alvin tonight.
Thanks for the suggestion. Nice owner
Glad you liked the place. For me, it's a matter of talking my wife into going because I know I can spend like crazy if i'm not careful.

Collecting all Houston Rockets players, current and former.
rocketfan86 is online now   Reply With Quote