Blowout Cards Forums
Sport Card Album

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Hobby Shop Locator

Hobby Shop Locator Find a local Hobby Shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any good card shops at Richmond VA?

Any good card shops at Richmond VA?
teambutterfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ball Four sports cards..right off hull street.
WahooWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do people like Ball Four? I've been a few times, but I just felt meh about it.
patronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've never been crazy about it, the lady who works in there always seems crabby. unfortunately it's about the only shop any where near.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
GA0

I've been to Ball Four as well, the lady didn't seem too friendly the couple times I went there. Big Tiger Sports Cards is another one in the area, also an alright one. The owner is a smoker though, I kinda choked the few times i've been there lol.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Does anybody know a shop around Norfolk?
Lastminute73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I used to go to ball four, now I just buy from blowout, it's pointless to spend the extra money at a cardshop for boxes when you can just buy em online and get em pretty much next day or two alot cheaper.
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

i went to ball four yesterday and it is a little over priced but there only competition is aa guy that sells yugio cards. his sports cards are limited to 3 boxes of baseball and 3 of football. richmond sucks for the hobby
FunnyBoxBreak20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA0 View Post
I've been to Ball Four as well, the lady didn't seem too friendly the couple times I went there. Big Tiger Sports Cards is another one in the area, also an alright one. The owner is a smoker though, I kinda choked the few times i've been there lol.
where is big tiger and are the prices better than ball four?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyBoxBreak20 View Post
where is big tiger and are the prices better than ball four?
i think big tiger changed their name. i havent been there for at least a year, but when i went before, there really wasnt much of a selection...
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackAttack419 View Post
i think big tiger changed their name. i havent been there for at least a year, but when i went before, there really wasnt much of a selection...
is it in lakeside next to the farmer's market. near the botanical gardens?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastminute73 View Post
Does anybody know a shop around Norfolk?

All Together Sport Cards in Portsmouth Va

No better shop around. And is also the cheapest place around, once you get to know the owner, Russell
Supercollecting Dillon Overton
Mrpokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyBoxBreak20 View Post
is it in lakeside next to the farmer's market. near the botanical gardens?
Big Tiger is now called West End Sports Cards, and it's on Quioccassin Road near the mall. I've only bought a box or two from him. I thought his prices were more reasonable, but he only takes cash and has an extremely limited supply. For example, the last time I was there, he only had three hobby boxes of Topps Chrome and THAT'S IT. Lots of vintage on the walls but I can't really judge that.

But yeah, I never really feel welcome at Ball Four. Actually, Blowout's Fantastic Store up in NoVA is the best experience I've had at a shop, but that's a couple hours away.

Maybe I'll go check out this shop in Portsmouth sometime.
patronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have been thinking about opening a shop here in Richmond but I'm still unsure if I can make a living running a card shop. I remember there being about 5 card shops in the area and we are now down to one. Ball Four. I have asked her if she wants to get out of the business because I can tell she doesn't enjoy what she does for a living. She didn't answer the question, so I might have to find a good cheap spot to start. I worked at a card shop many years ago and loved it. Who knows maybe one day I will take over Ball Four and give Richmond a fun card shop to hang out at and just talk sports. I would also buy cards from customers, something she doesn't do. I would run case breaks, Pack specials, and also bring some sports memorabilia to the area as well. So Richmond I am asking you if you are ready for a new card shop in the area? Would you support a local card shop? or is everybody buying online now?
Leady24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

If you're looking for only a little sports and TOOOON OF NONSPORTS! Any rittenhouse or tv show, playboy, magic the gathering, benchwarmers, go to Collectors Heavan in Lakeside near the farmer's market.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

There is a great store in Fredericksburg about an hour north of Richmond. The Card Cellar...
Sports Collectibles and Gifts Fredericksburg VA - The Card Cellar

Good selection or packs for all sports. Nice vintage selection as well. If you plan on trading or selling the owner is typically there Wednesday through Saturday. All other times the store is manned by other employees.

Always looking for Garin Cecchini, Tyler Naquin, Blake Swihart, and Ben Rowen.
toddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhead View Post
There is a great store in Fredericksburg about an hour north of Richmond. The Card Cellar...
Sports Collectibles and Gifts Fredericksburg VA - The Card Cellar

Good selection or packs for all sports. Nice vintage selection as well. If you plan on trading or selling the owner is typically there Wednesday through Saturday. All other times the store is manned by other employees.
I didn't have a good time at The Card Cellar. Guy there was selling promotional cards that should have been given out. Owner wasn't friendly at all.
No 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No 1 View Post
I didn't have a good time at The Card Cellar. Guy there was selling promotional cards that should have been given out. Owner wasn't friendly at all.
Bart has always treated me well, I stop in about 2-3 times a month for a fistful of packs. Prices are a tad high but I don't mind for the selection.
PensFan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've been a customer of the Card Cellar since 1998 SP Authentic hit the shelves at his old "Pharmhouse" location and have literally had no need to go to any other shops since then.

Growing up in Richmond, I used to go to Bob's Sports Cards a lot and Richmond Comix some.... and hit the show circuit from there to Baltimore, but Richmond is rather dead now.

I'll admit I haven't been to the Blowout Store or Chantilly in YEARS because I hate the traffic, etc.... and because there's nothing they have to offer that Bart doesn't carry or cannot get me at a very fair price in short order.

Anyone looking ought to consider The Card Cellar, now in downtown Fredericksburg next to Capital Ale House (which anyone from Richmond can likely appreciate as well). Like an earlier post said, go between Wed and Friday if you can or call ahead to see if Bart is around.

Matt
mjones6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

Really wish we could get something decent to open in Richmond. Ball Four is overpriced and the lady does not know what is going on. I feel bad for her, it could be a gold mine. Would love to know the back story there. As she does not seem to know much about sports. West End Sports card simply does not carry much at all.
drumrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

I visited Ball Four today. I actually felt very sorry for the woman who owns it. She's got some serious health issues. The singles selection was awful. I will never go back.

www.defining1.com
^ cool initiative we are starting in Philly!
sheriffjoebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriffjoebear View Post
I visited Ball Four today. I actually felt very sorry for the woman who owns it. She's got some serious health issues. The singles selection was awful. I will never go back.
well it was only until recently that she has had some real health problems.. i just walked in one day and her neck was hunched over.. it is concerning.. it's the only place in richmond really to get basketball stuff despite the high prices. I normally just use it to get supplies, free cardboard filler cards, and the occasional basketball (normally prizm) or some bowman chrome.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to harryhudini

I have been actually talking to the lady to buy it out and take it over. Her health is really affecting her selection. It takes her 2 weeks to get the newest stuff then marks it up by 20-30%. She does consignments and it's almost impossible to negotiate a price because the owners of the cards hardly ever come back in the store.

BLOWOUT'S OTHER ADAM JONES SUPERCOLLECTOR!!
http://s295.photobucket.com/user/skiessetablaze/library/?sort=3&page=1
harryhudini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

Ball four was just bought by a buddy of mine. Go back and check it out now - great guy, tell him Joey sent you! Might hook you up!
Birdland4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdland4 View Post
Ball four was just bought by a buddy of mine. Go back and check it out now - great guy, tell him Joey sent you! Might hook you up!
i met two guys there, they seem like reallly nice guys but know almost nothing about cards.. its kind of a curious thing.. I kind of want to sit there and educate them to how overpriced ball four is and make improvements...