Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Hobby Shop Locator

Hobby Shop Locator Find a local Hobby Shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hobby Shops - Downtown Chicago

Anyone know of any in the loop? There were a couple shops on the NW side of the city that closed within the last couple of years, including the well-known Graf (aka Chicago All Stars). Other than Tim's on Western Ave., the Chicago card market is starting to dry up.

Let me know if you happen to know any.
prodigylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't believe any are really around anymore....

Graf was soooooooo much better than when Chicago All-Stars took over...I'm glad Chicago Allstsrs closed up, you never knew if they were going to be open or not and it just didn't seem like a friendly place.

Tims is okay, but not a great selection of stuff

Dave's closed up 2 years ago and was by far my favorite place....

Big johns I believe is also closed and they only sell online

AU Sports is still around...they moved from their old (very unorganized) dempster location to the village crossing shopping strip in skokie, went there a few times, not friendly, not a lot of unopened wax to buy, they have since moved again to another location, either on oakton, dempster or golf...can't remember which one, but I saw it as I was driving by

Theres a small shop in Golf Mill mall....prices seem high though, looks geared more to gaming than sports

Gotta venture out to Chicagoland sports in Buffalo grove, but haven't made it out there...
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

To be honest, and I've read similar personal experiences with Chicago All Stars, I never pulled anything worthwhile at that shop. Graf owners were more inviting to the store front and more pleasant to deal as well. I contacted Tim last week and requested availability of at least 6 products, and was told that "a regular cleaned me out." Dave's was by the far the best. Good prices, nice guy and would always have solid selection. It's unfortunate but I may have to travel outside the city limits to find myself some wax thsi afternoon!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
I don't believe any are really around anymore....

Graf was soooooooo much better than when Chicago All-Stars took over...I'm glad Chicago Allstsrs closed up, you never knew if they were going to be open or not and it just didn't seem like a friendly place.

Tims is okay, but not a great selection of stuff

Dave's closed up 2 years ago and was by far my favorite place....

Big johns I believe is also closed and they only sell online

AU Sports is still around...they moved from their old (very unorganized) dempster location to the village crossing shopping strip in skokie, went there a few times, not friendly, not a lot of unopened wax to buy, they have since moved again to another location, either on oakton, dempster or golf...can't remember which one, but I saw it as I was driving by

Theres a small shop in Golf Mill mall....prices seem high though, looks geared more to gaming than sports

Gotta venture out to Chicagoland sports in Buffalo grove, but haven't made it out there...
Old 12-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Come to the southside, there are a few shops here that carry an insane amount of wax. Check out The Baseball Card King, they are in Oak Lawn and Plainfield. Very cool shops and they encourage guys to come in and hang out, bust packs and just BS. The shop here in Oak Lawn is the reason I got back into the hobby. Not sure if that is a good thing though.... LOL
Haze28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigylush View Post
To be honest, and I've read similar personal experiences with Chicago All Stars, I never pulled anything worthwhile at that shop. Graf owners were more inviting to the store front and more pleasant to deal as well. I contacted Tim last week and requested availability of at least 6 products, and was told that "a regular cleaned me out." Dave's was by the far the best. Good prices, nice guy and would always have solid selection. It's unfortunate but I may have to travel outside the city limits to find myself some wax thsi afternoon!

Thanks!
Yeah...wish I knew what happened to Dave...he just told me he was going to be closing up soon...figured that meant like the end of the month or somethng, but the following week, he was closed up...I know his kid had some medical issues, wonder if the shop was too much of a losing battle and had to get a 9-5 er instead of living the dream...
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
Yeah...wish I knew what happened to Dave...he just told me he was going to be closing up soon...figured that meant like the end of the month or somethng, but the following week, he was closed up...I know his kid had some medical issues, wonder if the shop was too much of a losing battle and had to get a 9-5 er instead of living the dream...
Dave was a good man. Always willing to cut prices and help you out. I drove past one day and it was closed up. Sad day but definitely helped my wallet!

Does anyone know of shop around Park Ridge?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you guys head north to Waukegan Jim & Steve's is an awesome shop. Great people, always have a good amount of wax, lots of cheap in store signings. Awesome shop
Old 12-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just called a small coin shop on Wabash called CPS Sports & Coins. Apparently they sell wax boxes, packs, supplies, etc.

I suspect the prices will be highly unreasonable but it's worth a stop in later today. Hopefully he's got some mid-90s boxes laying around in the backroom that he wants to move. Doubtful he'll have the newest of the new products.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigylush View Post
Just called a small coin shop on Wabash called CPS Sports & Coins. Apparently they sell wax boxes, packs, supplies, etc.

I suspect the prices will be highly unreasonable but it's worth a stop in later today. Hopefully he's got some mid-90s boxes laying around in the backroom that he wants to move. Doubtful he'll have the newest of the new products.
Don't bother with this place. Yesterday the gentleman said they had a selection of wax in store. I spoke with a guy today (thank God I did) and he said they had, "12 Hoops boxes and 1990 Donruss."

No thanks. My itch doesn't burn that badly.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

LOL, sounds like he's a heavy hitter. That 1990 Donruss is serious business.
Haze28 is offline   Reply With Quote