Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Hobby Shop Locator

Hobby Shop Locator Find a local Hobby Shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #51 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonadkins View Post
At the concert at The Joint at the Hard Rock; Blue Album in its entirety followed by Pinkerton in its entirety. Too easy of a pick for best concert ever, if anyone wants me to send them any of my crappy iPhone videos from the show, let me know, but you will have to put up with horrible drunken singing of me and my friend below.

Just let me know if any of you guys want to come to the Steakhouse, I can pull a few tricks to save you guys some money, not sure if I'll still be working there in October, the goal is for the shop to be doing well enough that I won't be there still, but we'll see. I can still get friends to hook you up that work there.

Let me just ad that I was on the PSA Boards back in 2003 when I opened my first store, Baseball Card Heaven. When I announced I would be opening, I would say I had forty responses, and about eight of them were along the lines of I was making a big mistake, I'm gonna fail, etc. I have posted most of the same information about this opening on the Blowout Baseball Board, Blowout ComicBookJunkie Board, and CGC General Baord; I probably have about 75 responses, and all have been 100% positive and supportive. Thank you guys all for that, there will be some free contest give-a-ways as a Thank You, keep an eye out.

Thanks,
Jason
That was an amazing concert! Go weezer!! =w=

.271 AVG 4 HR 47 RBI
metsandweezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #52 (permalink)

Let me know if you come across any more 9.5 orange Sniders
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #53 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Bumping this one up, coming into town today, hope the shop is progressing well!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #54 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bravesballer

Yeah post up some pics of the shop if you got it up and going. Will plan to stop by in June will be going to the MTG Modern Masters GP and WSOP what a great week that is going to be.
bravesballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #55 (permalink)

I'll be in Vegas at towards the end of July for a week and I'll come by and check it out. Make sure you have some boxes so I can spend a couple grand and help your business out
Doublexthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #56 (permalink)

That's awesome bro, I wish you the best of luck & if I ever cross Vegas off my bucket list I will definitely swing by!
eddiejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #57 (permalink)

Will be in Vegas July 14-16. Gonna try to get out there and do some gambling! ;-)
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #58 (permalink)

I just stopped by Stripside and I hate to say it but I was disappointed. If you like comics or Magic the Gathering then this is the place for you. If sportscards is your flavor then I would recommend another shop in Vegas.

I took a 25.00 taxi ride there because I thought he would have some cards. I waited an hour and a half for Jason to get there because the guy working knew nothing about sportscards and said he couldn't help me. Once Jason finally showed up, I gave him a list of what I was looking for and he simply said he didn't have any of that and went back to doing the Magic thing. He didn't even ask if there was anything else I might be interested in. I did buy a couple cards out of the dollar box and picked up a couple cheap vintage HOFers he had in the one jewelry case of cards he had. They were about to have a Magic tournament so I guess I was not the priority. After I spent my 50.00 there I walked across the street to a hotel to take another 25.00 cab ride back to my hotel.

The part where he would offer you a ride back to your hotel is apparently something he has done away with. The guy who was working knew nothing about that offer.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore_25 View Post
I took a 25.00 taxi ride there
Ouch. I hope that included tip.
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:40 AM   #60 (permalink)

Cool story. Wish you and your shop great success!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #61 (permalink)

Good Luck! I hope it is both enjoyable and profitable! I loved my 8 years working in card shops.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
I just stopped by Stripside and I hate to say it but I was disappointed. If you like comics or Magic the Gathering then this is the place for you. If sportscards is your flavor then I would recommend another shop in Vegas.

I took a 25.00 taxi ride there because I thought he would have some cards. I waited an hour and a half for Jason to get there because the guy working knew nothing about sportscards and said he couldn't help me. Once Jason finally showed up, I gave him a list of what I was looking for and he simply said he didn't have any of that and went back to doing the Magic thing. He didn't even ask if there was anything else I might be interested in. I did buy a couple cards out of the dollar box and picked up a couple cheap vintage HOFers he had in the one jewelry case of cards he had. They were about to have a Magic tournament so I guess I was not the priority. After I spent my 50.00 there I walked across the street to a hotel to take another 25.00 cab ride back to my hotel.

The part where he would offer you a ride back to your hotel is apparently something he has done away with. The guy who was working knew nothing about that offer.
No bueno, sorry you had a bad experience man. Did you try and reach out to him while you were there about this?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygambler View Post
No bueno, sorry you had a bad experience man. Did you try and reach out to him while you were there about this?
Unfortunately he was more interested in entertaining and preparing for his magic tournament. He did ask his guys to call me a cab though but it was quicker to just walk across the street to a hotel.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Unfortunately he was more interested in entertaining and preparing for his magic tournament. He did ask his guys to call me a cab though but it was quicker to just walk across the street to a hotel.
As much hype that was put up, that is really sad to here. Maybe you just caught him at a bad time but still, you have to treat every customer like they are just as important as the next. Hope you have a better visit next time, if there is one.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #65 (permalink)

I wasn't trying to avoid this, I just didn't realize this was posted, I spend most of my time on this board on the ComicBookJunkie forum and check the others sports maybe a few times per week.

To tmoore_25, I do apologize. We had a free MTG tournament that night where we gave away about $300 worth of free Magic singles and it was kind of a Chirstmas Customer Appreciation Tournament. We had 40 players show up and it was starting at 6:30. I showed up at about 6:00 to help with the set up. A lot of these MTG players are loyal customers in my shop's first seven months and some of these players have spent as much as $2000 on MTG related items. We had a few leaks in the roof a few days before and right when I came in, the main flourescent light fixture was out that is located just above the MTG singles case. That coupled with the fact the 19 year old kid I have working for me told me he set the tables up for the tournament, but he set up 34 chairs when he knew we would be at 40-48 players, so the second I came in the door I was scrambling around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get things in order.

As I was scrambling through the shop, I was handed tmoore_25'ws list of singles he was looking for, which were a few random 2013 insert set cards from Allen and Ginter and other sets. I don't know where the misunderstanding here comes from to attack my shop, I do apologize if there was an understanding that because my shop is on Las Vegas Boulevard that I had a mega-store like Burbank Sportscards that has every card ever made, but the bottom line is that Sportscards have not been our main focus as we just haven't gotten requests for them nearly as much as comics and especially MTG. I am considering phasing out sportscards in the near future and changing the name to StripSide Comics and Gaming. Between being in the shop mornings and afternoons then working my Steakhouse job on the Strip, I am regularly working 80-90 hours per week. I am doing all the ordering of comics, MTG, sportscards, T-Shirts, supplies, toys, statues, etc. and I really don't have a personal life anymore. I opened the shop because I love comics and sportscards, but the bottom line now after seven months of the shop being open is that the money put up front for sportscards and the time I have to dedicate to them might be better served by just dropping them and focusing on the other two aspects of the shop.

I don't know exactly what I said in my first post here, but I am sure it was somewhere along the lines of if you call me in advance I might be able to give you a ride back to your hotel. Had you called me in advance on this day, I would have told you it wasn't a possibility with the big Tournament being that night. Had you called me in advance and told me what was on your checklist, I would have told you that I didn't have those cards. While I do apologize for your visit being disappointing, I am not sure if the way you handled these attacks on me and my new business is exactly fair. I have been to probably 200 comic and/or sportscard shops in my life. Some of them are great with knowledgeable staff and well organized, others were small with little selection. In other words, some shops I have become a regular at throughout my life, others I went into once and never step foot in again. Even if I was disappointed in a shop, I never have blasted them on forums or yelp telling people to stay away from them. Every city used to have 30-50 card and/or comics hops in the early 90's, now some of these cities have one or two. It is not an easy business these days to be successful at, and I don't think most store owners are in it for the thoughts of making millions of dollars, but most of us truly love comics/cards and hope we can at least make enough of a living to support ourselves while doing a job we enjoy.

Anyways, I do apologize again that we did not have what you were looking for and as mentioned, we are probably dropping sportscards in the next few months to focus on MTG and comics. I did not know your situation when I came into the store that night, and when I saw your list I did suggest to check out another shop in town, Legacy Sportscards, as they do have a lot, lot more selection and organization of their modern singles that you were looking for. I respect the other shops and shop owners in town and many of us try to help each other out if we don't have something that other shops might. Best of luck in your collecting, but if you go into other shops and don't find everything you are looking for, I just ask that you shrug it off and not blast that business on an open forum like this.

-Jason Adkins
Owner, StripSide Comics and (TBD)
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote