Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Hobby Shop Locator

Hobby Shop Locator Find a local Hobby Shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dallas Card Shops?

Hey Guys,

I'm going to Dallas in a few weeks for business. Does anyone know of any card shops in the downtown area?

Also, any good rib/steak joints you can recommend would be awesome!

Thanks!
messier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Del Frisco's is darn good but NOT cheap. Have never had a bad meal there in the 4 or 5 times I've gone.

I have family in that area.
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Del Friscos definitely isnt cheap. I don't know of any card shops downtown. The best option would be to head a bit north and go to Nicks. He's got tons of wax and singles as well as he specializes in vintage. He's a great guy too.
jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you are just going to be in Dallas then I have heard that Nick's Sportscards is good but I have never been there. I have however been to SMP Sportscards in Grapevine. Its in between Dallas and Ft. Worth. It takes 20-30 minutes to get there from downtown Dallas depending on the traffic. The owners name is Scott Pierce and he is a good dude.

Try checking out Redneck Heaven in Ft Worth while you are there. The scenery is decent and they have a drink special: Shot of tequilia with a live minnow in it.........good times.

Last edited by Doublexthebeast; 04-17-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: I accidentally typed Ricks, I apologize.
Doublexthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good ribs, especially pork, are hard to find in Dallas. Yes, I know I'm in beef country, but as someone that went to college in the South, ribs to me means pork. But I digress.

Nick's is the best store in Dallas, although it's barely in the city proper. It's more in Richardson than anything. Great selection, great people, although the prices can be a touch on the high side for some wax. There's another store, SMP, in Grapevine, but I'm guessing that will likely be out of your way. Decent selection and good pricing.

Back to food. Del Frisco's Grille is a national high-end chain. At least get something here that you wouldn't get back home. I could recommend Al Biernat's, or Nick & Sam's (not Nick and Sam's Grille - that's their casual outpost) for steaks. If you are in town on a Friday for lunch, try Perry's Steakhouse (not The Place at Perry's) for their pork chop special. Ridiculous cut of meat, well seasoned and prepared. If by chance you want to try some seafood, Truluck's (yes it's a national chain, but a damn good one) or S&D Oyster Co. are good choices. I work in the Uptown area, so I get to visit them all somewhat regularly and occasionally get to talk to visitors about them like now. Any other questions, feel free to drop me a message.
BillInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Excellent! Thank you to everyone for the suggestions!

Yeah, I checked out Nicks online and it's quite the drive. I'll be in the downtown/convention center area so I guess no card shops there! Also, I noticed that Dallas downtown is not really a "walking" city. Lots of open spaces and I bet it's hot in May!

Bill, appreciate the food recommendations. I'll definitely add those to my list and if it works out, we'll definitely check it out (always good to be on a company budget!).
Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nicks is the best overall card shop in the area. Can be pricey on wax sometimes. Also the closest to downtown. Coit & Campbell. Most days not to bad of a drive from downtown.
Best steak is Del Friscos but it comes with a price. Sorry I don't eat ribs.
B1daddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by messier2 View Post
Also, I noticed that Dallas downtown is not really a "walking" city. Lots of open spaces and I bet it's hot in May!
May isn't too bad (if you're from here or used to a warm climate). The true Texas heat doesn't kick in until June or July. And for what it's worth, Fort Worth's downtown is more enjoyable, especially if you like walking around.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephland View Post
May isn't too bad (if you're from here or used to a warm climate). The true Texas heat doesn't kick in until June or July. And for what it's worth, Fort Worth's downtown is more enjoyable, especially if you like walking around.
Yeah, it sucks that we're "stuck" in Dallas, but what can ya do. Would have preferred Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio or anywhere with some night life!

So, is it mid-80s?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, it sucks that we're "stuck" in Dallas, but what can ya do. Would have preferred Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio or anywhere with some night life!

So, is it mid-80s?
Well next to Atlanta, I'd say Dallas is right up there in the "night trade", so there's always plenty of life here...
BillInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

So, is it mid-80s?
Mid-80's on average, yeah, but the weather doesn't completely settle until summer. For example, the high today was 81.* The high tomorrow is forecast as 68. May weather could range anywhere from 75 to 88, give or take.

*I'm not in Dallas, but close enough that the temps are consistent.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

If you do come to Dallas, you should make it a priority on your list to stop by SMP. I guarantee you won't regret it.

http://s1213.beta.photobucket.com/user/joank1173/library/
joan1173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan1173 View Post
If you do come to Dallas, you should make it a priority on your list to stop by SMP. I guarantee you won't regret it.
What's SMP?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

SMP is card shop in Grapevine, which is just west of DFW airport - good card shop...also would reccomend Nicks too, both these are the best in the metroplex
Old 04-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNTx View Post
SMP is card shop in Grapevine, which is just west of DFW airport - good card shop...also would reccomend Nicks too, both these are the best in the metroplex
Ok, cool. May not have the resources to get out there but will keep it in mind!

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

I personally like Nick's the best. I live here in Dallas, if you don't get a rental car we have a pretty good mass transit to get you to and from the card shops. Takes a little longer obviously.

Last edited by CubsFanInTX; 04-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.
CubsFanInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFanInTX View Post
I would personally like Nick's the best. I live here in Dallas, if you dob't get a rental we have a pretty good mass transit to get you to and from the card shops. Takes a little longer obviously.
Ah, ok, cool. I'll see if I can squeeze in a LCS run sometime while I'm there!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

BTW, anyone know of a good sports bar that has multiple screens in the downtown area?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
BTW, anyone know of a good sports bar that has multiple screens in the downtown area?
If you go to uptown, there are several places to go. Frankies and Mckinney Ave Tavern are both good sports bars. You can take the free trolley up to either of those.
TxRangersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRangersfan View Post
If you go to uptown, there are several places to go. Frankies and Mckinney Ave Tavern are both good sports bars. You can take the free trolley up to either of those.
Free trolley? Hmm...does that run past 10 pm?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

I think so, depends on the days. Not a great site, but here is the link. MATA - McKinney Avenue Transit Authority - M-Line - Schedules

Also if you are by the convention center, a cab wouldn't be too much, maybe $10-12.

There are tons of bars on Mckinney in uptown once you get down there, good to walk around between. Some tend to be pretty douchy though. Also a lot of the good food places mentioned are in this area.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRangersfan View Post
Just an fyi, Mckinney ave Tavern is the bar they frequent on the new Dallas series. Quite a nice bar.
jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub47 View Post
Just an fyi, Mckinney ave Tavern is the bar they frequent on the new Dallas series. Quite a nice bar.
Didnt know that the MAT was on that show. It is owned by Big Al, one of Kidd Kraddicks sidekicks or past sidekicks. (never listen to kidd kraddick, so not sure)

Frankies owner is cool too, they are usually really good about gettin your game on if you ask. Friend from Boston is always wanting to watch Bruins games up there.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #24 (permalink)

Alright, flying out to COLD Dallas tomorrow!

I'll be on the DART line as my primary transportation...any card shops close a DART station? I know Nick's is way up north (beyond my range)...I guess I'm out of luck?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Alright, flying out to COLD Dallas tomorrow!

I'll be on the DART line as my primary transportation...any card shops close a DART station? I know Nick's is way up north (beyond my range)...I guess I'm out of luck?
I was driving through Dallas last week on my way to Houston and stopped by Nick's. It was about 15 min from downtown. Not sure how close that is to a DART station. Depending on what hotel you are in they might shuttle you over there. Nick's was a nice, clean chop. Very well organized and the guy working was friendly. I busted 3 boxes of 2012 Bowman Draft while I was there
Doublexthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote