Blowout Cards Forums
cowboys

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Hobby Shop Locator

Hobby Shop Locator Find a local Hobby Shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default card shops in Cali

taking the kids to disneyland in April and was wondering where the best cardshops are?

we'll be spending our week in the following areas

first 2 days - Redondo Beach
next 2 days - close to Disneyland
last 3 days - close to universal

Thanks in advance!
cassijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassijon View Post
taking the kids to disneyland in April and was wondering where the best cardshops are?

we'll be spending our week in the following areas

first 2 days - Redondo Beach
next 2 days - close to Disneyland
last 3 days - close to universal

Thanks in advance!
Depending where you are in Redondo, this is just down the road:

Home page

And I think Frank & Sons is near Anaheim? From what I hear it is a huge place...

Frank & Son Collectibles Show | Yelp

Of course I'd follow this up with saying "just wait til you get home or order from BO and have wax waiting for you?"
Old 03-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Redondo Beach - SouthBay Cards. They're the home of the Sbaycards Super Break stuff, so it might be a fun visit. Scott, the owner, has a bit of a snakeoil salesman vibe, but his father is much nicer and fun to talk to. Prices are not cheap, but they have a great selection.

Close to Disneyland - OC Sportscards? They're the bigger ones around there. Frank and Sons is closer to Hacienda Heights/Diamond Bar. Frank's is open only on Wednesdays and Saturdays and caters mostly to Magic The Gathering.

If you're gonna be near Universal, I'd say go out of your way slightly to Games and Cards. The owners Harry and Art are classy individuals, and they'll take care of you. Prices are FAIR, not Blowout or CardsInfinity prices, but it's the lowest among local card shops.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

2 more famous L.A. area stores that aren't terribly close to your stops, but aren't ridiculously far either.
If you have been collecting for quite a while, you'll probably remember TJ Schwartz, who wrote the On Your Side column in Tuff Stuff.
His store is Porky's Baseball Cards. It's in Woodland Hills, which is about 20 miles west on the 101 freeway from Universal City.
And if you watch any of the Storage Wars/Auction Hunters type "reality" shows, you'll recognize their sports card expert, Matt Federgreen, of Beverly Hills Baseball Card Shop. It's about 20 miles north of Redondo Beach - and because it's on the south end of Beverly Hills, it's not far from lots of places to try to spot celebrities, if that appeals to anyone in your family.
Both are actually very good shops, with strong vintage card focus.
"And when do we want it?"
"It's irrelevant."
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
Depending where you are in Redondo, this is just down the road:

Home page

And I think Frank & Sons is near Anaheim? From what I hear it is a huge place...

Frank & Son Collectibles Show | Yelp

Of course I'd follow this up with saying "just wait til you get home or order from BO and have wax waiting for you?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbogorilla View Post
Redondo Beach - SouthBay Cards. They're the home of the Sbaycards Super Break stuff, so it might be a fun visit. Scott, the owner, has a bit of a snakeoil salesman vibe, but his father is much nicer and fun to talk to. Prices are not cheap, but they have a great selection.

Close to Disneyland - OC Sportscards? They're the bigger ones around there. Frank and Sons is closer to Hacienda Heights/Diamond Bar. Frank's is open only on Wednesdays and Saturdays and caters mostly to Magic The Gathering.

If you're gonna be near Universal, I'd say go out of your way slightly to Games and Cards. The owners Harry and Art are classy individuals, and they'll take care of you. Prices are FAIR, not Blowout or CardsInfinity prices, but it's the lowest among local card shops.
Thanks for the info guys!
'
Being from Vancouver canada, we dont have much of a selection of Football and Basketball here.

My LCS does what he can but im sure stores in the US have way more selection.
cassijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Frank and Sons is a must of you have the time and a few hours to spare. I'm from Wisconsin and was out for the Rose Bowl three years in a row and always had to get there.
GreatAlbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you are in L.A. when the Kings are in town, you can go see them practice in El Segundo (25 minutes or less drive from Redondo Beach).
Team practices are open to the public and free to watch at the training facility located at: 555 c Nash Street, El Segundo, CA 90245. Please call 310.535.4510 for more information or visit toyotasportscenter.com.
"And when do we want it?"
"It's irrelevant."
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote