Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > HOCKEY BOX BREAKS

HOCKEY BOX BREAKS Post Your HOCKEY Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Case Break Question:

In the "Meet And Greet" forum I made a sincere appology to the Blowoutcards members and staff about this issue and others. If you dont feel like searching for it, thats ok. I copied it for you

Here is what I wrote:

Hi guys. I wanted to come onto Blowoutcards.com/forums and give a sincere appology to the rest of you guys. Let me explain..

I am new the card and memorabilia collecting. I started collecting around april of last year. Through this time I have spent so much money I dont even know which way to turn (who hasnt really?!). I recently became a board member and I think I brushed some people wrongly. Thats not my nature at all.

I am a sincere person. I try my best to help everyone out no matter if you bit my hand previously. I recently made a thread asking if there was a certain spot a company would put the "good" box in a case. I explained the reason I was asking was because a local shop near my house always opens cases and tells me to take whichever box I wanted (I am paying for the box of course) and I just wanted to better my chances at picking the better of the lot. I did not realize this would be "cheating" and looked down upon. I had a hard time wrapping my head around the concept that people thought I was trying to defraud someone. I am the furthest thing from that. So I spiritedly tried to defend myself but as the night went on and I slept on it some more, I came to the realization what others were trying to explain to me. It IS cheating even if i am not reselling the box or a case. I dont sell boxes or cases and never will but thats not the point. It would be taking away from the next guy and THATS what I wasnt realizing. I do now though. I appologize for anyone I argued with. Sincerely.

I would also like to bring up another issue I came across and want to appologize about. I had a PM conversation with someone about a card I was selling. I am new to this so I really dont know what things are worth or whatnot. Anyways, the person offers me a price on a card I was considering selling. At first it seemed like a decent price. I PM'ed him/her and said depending on your location for shipping purposes I would except that deal. Within an hour or less I had not received a message back and I went on to ebay to find out the card sold for much more than the person had offered me. Since they did not respond to me yet and TECHNICALLY I didnt agree cause I wasnt sure about the shipping issue, I immediately sent a message to the person and said I was going to put the card on ebay and if they wanted to, they were more than able to bid on the item. A little while past and they responded to me quite bluntly and upset. They said I was reneg'ing on the deal. I tried to explain to them that technically I did not except the deal cause I wasnt sure if i was shipping the card to United States or it could have been to Australia for all I knew. I also tried to point out that they did not respond and I went another direction. Well, needless to say the person was not happy with me at all. I felt that I was within my right to go the opposite direction because I said I would except the deal depending on the shipping location. An hour passed and no answer and I immediately PM'ed back and told them I was going another direction.
Well, I would like to appologize to THAT individual as well. They seemed very upset and I didnt come on this site to anger anyone. Thats not my intention and it will never BE my attention. So as a olive branch to the Blowoutcards.com/forums crew, from my family to yours, I appologize for the recent actions and I look forward to learning from you and your staff about this great hobby and I cant wait to share my cards with you and see your cards as well.

I am sincere in my appologies and will prove it to you in my posts from here on out.

Sincerely,

Steve

Last edited by gotmonte; 11-14-2011 at 10:06 PM.
gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like you're trying to pull a case hit then flip the rest in for profit. Seems like a terribly stupid get-moderately wealthy scam that is bound to fail. Good luck.

Btw great grammar. "Boughten", "do ud put". Better freshen up on grammar buddy
Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Case hit box position in the case is completely random in my opinion. I've busted tons of product and haven't noticed any special positioning since the 90s. What it comes down to is respect and trust with whoever you're buying from, whether it be from LCS or Blowout.

There are clearly ways to tamper with product, whether it be weighing boxes, pack feelers or metal detectors and the like but quite frankly those guys go out of business quick as reputation in this business is paramount in my opinion. If you bust enough product in your LCS you know whether they are tampering/weighing etc.

To me, your LCS owner letting you have your pick of the case is his way of showing you he's an honest and trustworthy dealer which builds his customer base.

Ever wonder why Triple Threads Boxes on ebay sell 50.00 under what you pay for when you buy a case? Here's a hint, because they weigh the product and sell the duds, the sad thing is they actually get buyers.

The best advice I can give you is be educated about what your buying, know what to expect in hits, if you're buying try to get a look at the case as its opened and if there is ever any doubt then don't buy.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

please refer to my first post

Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

There is no rhyme or reason to how companies do things. But there have been product runs where a company DID screw up and put the big "hit" box in a certain position. Topps Triple Threads from a few years ago is a prime example. People were buying master cases and taking just 1 or 2 boxes.

I don't recall exactly what year it was but I'm sure other people do.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
There is no rhyme or reason to how companies do things. But there have been product runs where a company DID screw up and put the big "hit" box in a certain position. Topps Triple Threads from a few years ago is a prime example. People were buying master cases and taking just 1 or 2 boxes.

I don't recall exactly what year it was but I'm sure other people do.
Same with timeless treasures bb last year (09-10). The bottom 2 boxes had the case hits.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
did you READ MY POST? I never bought a case, I am NOT buying a case. Look me up. I dont sell BOXES or CASES. I sell CARDS. I buy boxes from a company by me and he gives me the option to pull my own box out of HIS case.

Sheesh, I thought you would be more intelligent then THAT.

Sorry about the word "boughten". You seem to be a smart ass eh. I dont like to be "accused" on something I never did, would do, or ever THOUGHT of doing. That is not cool. Now if you ever see me selling boxes or cases, then you are MORE THAN WELCOME to pull my coatail on it. But until you see that, lay off. I am only trying to see if when I go to the local store by my house and he allows me to open up his case and take whichever box or boxes I wanted, I just was curious if there was a way of better my chances.

As for the spelling leason, chill out. Its not a "spelling Bee"
My mistake. I have no problem admitting when I was in the wrong, and I was in the wrong (about the flipping cases. The grammar I was still right )

As for your original question, my advice would be to watch some breaks either at your LCS or on YouTube (chri5784, for example.) He will open and number a case in order, so watch all the boxes from 2-3 cases (to get more exact answers) and see which ones had the better cards.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

it's all random. if you're superstitous (sp?), look at the serials and choose the one with the last 2 ending in your favorite numbers or favorite player's numbers.

or if you're like me, let the guy behind the counter pick the box and blame him if you get a dud box.
SkyFire47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

From your original post, it sound like to me you just want to break the good box out of a fresh case... and let the rest be...

that my friend is not a case break... that my friend is just a "larger" version of pack searching... even if i knew, I will not share this information with you.

If you want to be a "casebreaker", break a case...find out yourself...
wegoingsizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Please refer to my first post

Old 11-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sly

Quote:
Ugh, the intelligence in this thread is mind boggling. Mr. Wegoingsizzler did you READ my post? Did you do a SEARCH on my name to see what I sell and what I BUY? I have never bought a case. ever. I wont buy a case. Check all my posts here and see my background. I have stated NUMEROUS time I am a CARD BUYER and a BOX BUYER. I dont do cases. My wife would SHOOT me if I was buying cases for 1-2-3 thousand dollars. So I buy a box or two at a time.

The local store by me opens a case, says "pick out whichever boxes you want". So how am I deceiving anyone? Same this as saying "I pick the boxes by their serial numbers ending in my favorite players jersey number". I do NOT sell cases or even boxes. You can look me up on ebay (I go by SEWSLIKEWIND) you can look up hobby insider (I go by Gotmonte). You can look me up on the car forum I am on too, which is FASTLSX.COM (I go by BAILLOUT)

Again, I am only looking to see if there was a better method to pick a box out of someone ELSES case. I am not "Pack feeling". I am not seeing which one weighs more, which has metal in it ect ect. I am asking everyone their educated opinion on which box(s) I should target when I get the opportunity to pick whatever I want out of the shops case(s).

Nothing wrong asking questions. If you EVER see me sell a box or a case, then you are MORE THAN WELCOME to reference this thread and let the WHOLE WORLD know I am case breaking. But I am not case breaking, I will never case break, and I dont condone case breaking.

I am simply asking which boxes should I target for my own boxes. Simple as that.

Some of you really need to calm the hell down. Its annoying having to explain to you exactly what I wrote. I dont care if you "read between the lines" or whatnot. Prove I am doing something wrong. Prove I am selling this stuff. Prove something. Not just "I am reading between the lines"

Grow up
I don't think YOU'RE reading other people's posts.

What you're suggesting here is:

"Is there a place in the case where can I find the best box that would provide the best hit for me to turn around and sell the card?" (You said you sell cards correct?)

Am I wrong in that? You want to find the "hit" card out of the case, so you can sell it (the card, not the box or the case).

That in a sense is form of "Case" or "Pack" searching, which is what others are saying.

If this is the strategy you're looking for, then I think YOU need to "grow up." Pick boxes and let the strategy of randomness take effect, just like everyone else who doesn't search cases, or boxes, or packs.

If I'm wrong here, please tell me.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

If you dont want to buy a case, then why do you care where the 'money' boxes are in a sealed case? What is the purpose of knowing??

you stated that you get first crack and sealed case. Then you asked the boards if you know where the 'money' box in a case is. Why? If you can explain to me why you need to know where the 'money' box in case is if you arent out to get the primo of the case having first chance at it? What would your purpose be in knowing?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Last edited by gotmonte; 11-14-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.. DO ANY OF YOU READ THE WHOLE F-ING POST?

A company around my house buys cases. He allows me to pick which box I want out of HIS CASE. its not sealed. He is selling the boxes off to whomever he sells to. I am a good customer of his so he gives me first pick at whatever box I want (minus weighing them, using metal detectors ect ect).

God, you would think you guys had ENOUGH BRAINS to read a friggin post before you go and spout your mouth around

Answer my question. Why do you care where the 'money' box comes from? Whats the purpose of knowing?

a. so you can cherry pick the boxes that will bring you a hit?
b. so you wont cherry pick the boxes that will bring you a hit?

I think we both know which one it is!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sly

Quote:
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.. DO ANY OF YOU READ THE WHOLE F-ING POST?

A company around my house buys cases. He allows me to pick which box I want out of HIS CASE. its not sealed. He is selling the boxes off to whomever he sells to. I am a good customer of his so he gives me first pick at whatever box I want (minus weighing them, using metal detectors ect ect).

God, you would think you guys had ENOUGH BRAINS to read a friggin post before you go and spout your mouth around
And you'd think YOU would have enough common sense to realize what you're asking.

You're asking if there is any rhyme or reason behind where the hits are placed in a case, so you can choose those boxes.

It doesn't matter who's case it is, or who he's offering to choose boxes from the case. It is still a form of "searching" or actually, "cherry-picking."

Since you avoid the question, I'll ask it one more time ... Are you not asking where to find the hit boxes within a case, so you can choose those since you have first pick??

Now if that's not what you're asking, then what does it really matter where the hits are within a case?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

I probably shouldn't share this as most people will freak...but the surefire way to get the case hit:

==> buy the whole case <== (left click and drag between the arrows)

(just to be clear, this is not 100% foolproof with Topps, UD, or Panin. Pretty much any company will mix this up from time to time, some more than others)
Old 11-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Old 11-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
LOL I love it.

Again, if someone you are buying a box from says "Pick whichever box you like" wouldnt you want to pick the best box possible? Its common sense. I am not saying to the guy, ok I took the best box, now take another case and mix and match and sell it off.

He says to me which box you want? What am I supposed to say? Noo..... YOU pick FOR me? I am simply asking if there was a better way to picking a box out of a case that is being offered to me. Thats all. Simple as that. If you guys want to bitch and moan, be my guess. No one wants to share the information if there is any, no problem. Whatever. I was simply just asking.

So you're saying that you want to cherry pick out a box that has the big hits.
HOw is that any different then going into a walmart and feeling packs for GU cards like 30 yr old punks living out their mommys basement do??

Just pick a box and throw up a prayer that you come out with your pants above your waist. If you dont, join the league of people that take risks everyday in hopes to pull a decent card by taking a gamble with no short cuts!!

There are no sure fire ways to find the big money hits in a case. Its as simple as that. And if anyone knew, why would they share it? If I knew what next weeks lottery numbers were, would I tell anyone?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Old 11-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Best box in every case is going to be the 4th one down on the left. EVERY TIME!!!!! Doesn't matter what product or company.
mmbtvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I was simply asking if they put them in any different way. I am not FEELING them out. I am not WEIGHING THEM out. I am not METAL DETECTING THEM OUT.

If you would have told me third from the right is usually a good spot, I would have picked that and if I didnt get a hit at all, its not a big deal.

I was just asking. Stop the "Mommys basement" thing. I am 35 years old, Own two houses (rent the other) married for 17 years (yes 17 YEARS) and have a daughter. So please..
You are essentially trying to beat the odds of a lottery with an edge. Thats known as cheating.

When you go into a casino and count cards you get thrown out.
When you buy stocks of a company knowing full well they are about to make big news because someone inside told you, you get thrown in jail for insider trading.

When you knowingly try and cheat, take short cuts and essentially trying to beat the odds on a chance/lottery/oppurtunity that is out there to be fair chance for all, you are cheating. Thats the factual side.

Here is the moral side..

How would feel if someone sold you a limp case full of boxes that had absolutely no chance of hitting anything? IM pretty sure you wouldnt buy it. This is why they keep it all chance/lottery with no fixed way of figuring it out.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFire47 View Post
it's all random. if you're superstitous (sp?), look at the serials and choose the one with the last 2 ending in your favorite numbers or favorite player's numbers.

or if you're like me, let the guy behind the counter pick the box and blame him if you get a dud box.
What does "sp" stand for?

oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Back to the original question...

I'm pretty sure case hit is totally random -- I've never seen a pattern in anything I've opened. Use to be not as random, but not longer...

(I used to know how to get the McGwire RC out of 85T racks -- also knew how to get the Jeffries RC out of first year Score -- never managed to retire on this knowledge)
Old 11-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

A guy who came to the shop I worked at a decade ago knew how to get the Garnett rc out of Finest, the TO rc out of SP and some other stuff, too. Some of the stuff was pretty obvious. 1 out of 4 packs for some hits really meant just finding the first hit and then counting every fourth pack.
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
You are essentially trying to beat the odds of a lottery with an edge. Thats known as cheating.

When you go into a casino and count cards you get thrown out.
counting cards isn't illegal as long as the player doesn't use any external device to aid in the counting.
go_steelers07 is online now   Reply With Quote