Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > HOCKEY BOX BREAKS

HOCKEY BOX BREAKS Post Your HOCKEY Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2013 Leaf Best of Hockey - 2 boxes... horrible!

i've opened more than a few boxes of Leaf's Best of products... hockey, football & baseball. i have had a few big hits, but even most "wins" are only around half the value of a box.

in this case, the Stastny card recently sold between around $120. that's reasonable.

but the Ovechkin card recently sold for $22. seriously... a $22 card in a product that sells between $220-$260? that's pure garbage.

i've tried to be a fan of this stuff, but when a good hit is half, at best, of the value of a box... and when there are cards worth less than 10% of a box... i'm done with it.

i realize every box can't be a winner but i'm not buying a $240 product when the value is approaching $0.

Last edited by ejs23; 12-12-2013 at 05:24 PM.
ejs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

You don't "collect" for the love of the hobby/sport? I think I see your problem.
djdevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

This Leaf Best of Hockey has 3 boxes in a case, so I think that last box has the case hit.

You should go back to the shop if there's one.
excel_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdevon View Post
You don't "collect" for the love of the hobby/sport? I think I see your problem.
that's ridiculous. i've conceded that every box can't be a big hit. i've said that getting cards worth half the value is a "win" for me.

but spending $220-$260 on a box and pulling a $20 card is horrible. that card should not be a hit in this particular product. i don't care how much someone loves the hobby.... i don't expect they'd be happy with such a garbage pull.

when i pulled a $30-$40 Trent Richardson card out of Best of Football i thought that was bad... and this is much worse.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
that's ridiculous. i've conceded that every box can't be a big hit. i've said that getting cards worth half the value is a "win" for me.

but spending $220-$260 on a box and pulling a $20 card is horrible. that card should not be a hit in this particular product. i don't care how much someone loves the hobby.... i don't expect they'd be happy with such a garbage pull.

when i pulled a $30-$40 Trent Richardson card out of Best of Football i thought that was bad... and this is much worse.
Theres that word, "should". You know what Leaf Best of is, you know its a straight up crapshoot. You should have spent those couple hundy on singles, but you got greedy hoping for that Gretzky didn't you?
Old 09-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Theres that word, "should". You know what Leaf Best of is, you know its a straight up crapshoot. You should have spent those couple hundy on singles, but you got greedy hoping for that Gretzky didn't you?

every case/box/pack is a crapshoot, one that i'm often willing to take. and, as i keep pointing out, i understand they can't all be winners and i'm willing to take a loss on value. often i'll hit cards i like for my pc, so value doesn't matter much.

but there's a limit. a $20 card? what if it was a $10 card? $5? something that sells for $0.99 on ebay?

with new product it's the ebay sellers that drive down prices on the secondary markets... but the difference with buyback products is that secondary market values are already established on the cards. Leaf knew they were putting $20 cards in a $220+ product.

all that being said, not sure why anyone would defend that practice. Leaf is certainly able to do what they want, they can put $1 cards in if they want... but i won't buy it. it's one thing to get a bad box, it's another to get completely destroyed.

but to suggest that i'm "greedy" and was "hoping for that Gretzky" is unfair. everyone wants big hits... but most, like myself, are willing to accept some good & bad while searching for the big stuff... but i'm not wiling to accept the ugly.

Last edited by ejs23; 09-20-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

the sketch was pretty solid, ill bet it came out of the same box as the ovie.

Hobby shop northwest of Pittsburgh, check us out at luckylarryssportscards.com and Lucky Larry's Sports Cards on Facebook! Twitter=luckylarrys1
hanes1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
every case/box/pack is a crapshoot, one that i'm often willing to take. and, as i keep pointing out, i understand they can't all be winners and i'm willing to take a loss on value.

Then why you so mad?

often i'll hit cards i like for my pc, so value doesn't matter much.

but there's a limit. a $20 card? what if it was a $10 card? $5? something that sells for $0.99 on ebay?

with new product it's the ebay sellers that drive down prices on the secondary markets... but the difference with buyback products is that secondary market values are already established on the cards. Leaf knew they were putting $20 cards in a $220+ product.

all that being said, not sure why anyone would defend that practice. Leaf is certainly able to do what they want, they can put $1 cards in if they want... but i won't buy it. it's one thing to get a bad box, it's another to get completely destroyed.

but to suggest that i'm "greedy" and was "hoping for that Gretzky" is unfair. everyone wants big hits... but most, like myself, are willing to accept some good & bad while searching for the big stuff... but i'm not wiling to accept the ugly.
Theres two kinds of people who buy high end boxes. Flippers and Collectors. Cleary you are not a collector. So as a Flipper, you must know the game by now don't you? I remember my first skunk box. I suggest a different strategy. Only buy cards that you find appealing on the secondary market. As you said, the ebayers drive the price down so its a win-win for you. I just hate to see someone get all bent out of shape over it.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's a good chance that the third box in this case had a huge hit. I have opened a few cases and when you see cards like that, it usually means a case hit or even better in the third. I had a case like this and the third box had a Gretzky BVG 8.5 OPC RC.
Giovanni99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Theres two kinds of people who buy high end boxes. Flippers and Collectors. Cleary you are not a collector. So as a Flipper, you must know the game by now don't you? I remember my first skunk box. I suggest a different strategy. Only buy cards that you find appealing on the secondary market. As you said, the ebayers drive the price down so its a win-win for you. I just hate to see someone get all bent out of shape over it.

ok, i tried to ignore the d-baggery... but it just keeps coming. clearly you either haven't read what i've written, or you don't comprehend it. did i say anything about flipping cards? nope. in fact i've pointed out, more than once, that i have pretty reasonable expectations and i'm looking for cards to PC.

so let me suggest a different strategy for you.... actually take a minute to read what people write instead of just making assumptions then ranting because you hate it that someone dares to question the quality of a product.

either way, flipping or collecting... doesn't matter. it's a garbage card in a higher-end product. so my point stands.

this forum is unfcking real sometimes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni99 View Post
It's a good chance that the third box in this case had a huge hit. I have opened a few cases and when you see cards like that, it usually means a case hit or even better in the third. I had a case like this and the third box had a Gretzky BVG 8.5 OPC RC.
you may be right. i've pulled some decent cards from all the "best of" products, including the hockey. i just don't think such a low-end card belongs in a higher-end product.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanes1111 View Post
the sketch was pretty solid, ill bet it came out of the same box as the ovie.
yes, the sketches are decent... especially the Kelly. no complaints there.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

I agree with the poster.....it's nonsense....
JDF5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
ok, i tried to ignore the d-baggery... but it just keeps coming. clearly you either haven't read what i've written, or you don't comprehend it. did i say anything about flipping cards? nope. in fact i've pointed out, more than once, that i have pretty reasonable expectations and i'm looking for cards to PC.

so let me suggest a different strategy for you.... actually take a minute to read what people write instead of just making assumptions then ranting because you hate it that someone dares to question the quality of a product.

either way, flipping or collecting... doesn't matter. it's a garbage card in a higher-end product. so my point stands.

this forum is unfcking real sometimes

Well said!
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
you may be right. i've pulled some decent cards from all the "best of" products, including the hockey. i just don't think such a low-end card belongs in a higher-end product.
But they need to balance out the monster hits with some pretty crappy boxes.

I pulled cards like that out of my cases as well, but the case hits always made up for it:

Got a bgs 9.5 claude giroux ultra ($30 card) in one box, paired with a decent sketch, but also pulled this out of my case:

Got a cup mario lemieux plate card (maybe a $50 card), slabbed but ungraded out of one of the boxes, with a decent sketch, but also got this in the case:

You also have to remember that the values of some of the cards can either increase OR decrease in value from when the card was packed out. Ovechkin stuff has tanked since last year, and perhaps your card was purchased for over $50 at the time of packout, and now is worth $30. Same thing has happened with the hundreds of Giroux cards they placed in the product - values of his stuff have stunk since his subpar year. Same thing could happen to nugent hopkins stuff in a year or two - they may be worthless or be extremely valuable. Mike trout chrome rookies were placed in best of baseball in 2011, and at the time were probably secondary hits or afterthoughts when the product packed out, but i'm sure no one would mind hitting a chrome trout auto AND a case hit out of a sealed case, if they could find it.

I bet you the Chris Henderson sketch came with the ovy- that could be a $100 sketch.

If you've opened enough of this type of product, you know that the usual collation is a $50 hit at the company's cost at the time of packout, a $100 card at the time of packout, and a $150+ card at the time of packout. Nuge psa 10 young guns were well over $100 when the product was packed out, and now it's a $60-$80 card.

Another great example is about a bgs 9.5 cam newton chrome base card one collector pulled out of 2012 best of football. At the time of packout, the card was a $50 card, but newton stunk it up and by the time the card was pulled, it was worth no more than $15. Leaf can't guarantee that the player's prices will sustain or increase in value throughout the life of the product. But they can say at the time of packout, that newton was a $50 card.

That's the way it goes. Had Ovechkin won MVP last year and was the leading scorer and the Caps won the Stanley Cup last year, that would be a $100+ card and you wouldn't be complaining about it so much.

My advice, suck it up, know your products before you open them, then you may get more sympathy when you open a $250 product (something most people don't have the luxury of doing) and don't get close to your money back.

Last edited by hermanotarjeta; 09-21-2013 at 01:48 PM.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

That product is just plain garbage. The justification to have every other collector pull 3$ worth of children's drawings and old junk 90's crap cards because the put 1 good Gretzky card in the product is dumb logic.
ZappBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

With regard to the sketch cards, these will almost always garner a lot more money than the slabbed cards. If you pull a Gordie Howe Auto Sketch, these are now getting in excess of $600.00. I have sold colour Gretzky. Crosby and Howe sketch cards for almost $200.00 each. Collectors are wanting these sketch cards. Almost always make up for low end graded cards.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

The AO Ultra PSA 10 was a $150 card, if it sold for $22, the buyer got a great deal.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

They should put a bunch of 84 Steve Y OPC or even topps high grades!

"You've gotta hold it in your lungs longer George"
lindeman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindeman79 View Post
They should put a bunch of 84 Steve Y OPC or even topps high grades!
I pulled a Steve Y OPC Bgs 10 out of this stuff...sold it to my LCS cuz he pc'd him...

this product is super hit or miss though..but a lot of it is just volatility of the market...prime example would be the ovechkin cards..
eguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguthrie View Post
I pulled a Steve Y OPC Bgs 10 out of this stuff...sold it to my LCS cuz he pc'd him...

this product is super hit or miss though..but a lot of it is just volatility of the market...prime example would be the ovechkin cards..
How much did you sell the Yzerman bgs 10 for? and was it his RC?
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
How much did you sell the Yzerman bgs 10 for? and was it his RC?
it was his opc rookie, I sold it for 600 to my LCS because he pcs yzerman..I know I probably could have gotten more if I waited it out..but at the time I was in search for the bobby orr rookie auto in this product and wanted to open another case haha
eguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #23 (permalink)

It's no different than spending $100 on a box and getting a $1 jersey card for your hit. At least with that you get half hour money back. Many boxes are tossing a bill in the trash.
callou2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #24 (permalink)

Man. PSA 10 Gem Mint Yzerman OPC rookies are going for an average of $1100.00 on Ebay. A BGS Pristine 10 OPC Yzerman would fetch $2000.00 easily. Your LCS really took adavntage of you.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni99 View Post
Man. PSA 10 Gem Mint Yzerman OPC rookies are going for an average of $1100.00 on Ebay. A BGS Pristine 10 OPC Yzerman would fetch $2000.00 easily. Your LCS really took adavntage of you.
Thats why I asked if it was his RC. @ $600 you left a lot of money on the table. I hope the card store owner is a buddy and it really is going into his PC. That was an absolute huge hit.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote