Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Relax on burying Ovechkin

I've read a few articles now that Alex Ovechkin is on the downside of his career or in a season-long slump. Both might be true, but I doubt it, and here is why:

Prior to this season, Ovechkin's career shooting percentage was .125, which meant every 8 shots resulted in a goal. This season his shooting percentage is .092, so while he has taken more shots this season he has less goals.

Chances are A.O. will return to mean, and if that happens, his next 325 shots will result in 41 more goals, getting to 51 for the season.

At the same time he is on a similar pace for assists like last season. Assuming he stays healthy and doesn't get suspended again, we're looking at 60-65 assists.

My guess, 55 G, 65 Assists, 120 points total for the season, which will be good enough for 4th or 5th in the NHL.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Who ever said he is on the down side is insane. Other people are stepping up this year so he doesn't have to do as much. He is still a great player but since his numbers are down a bit Sid and Stamkos are now talked about more since they're off to super starts.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Its because hes russian
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
Its because hes russian
The non-Canadian player bias always plays a part with hockey but I think he has been more widely accepted than any Russian ever or at least since Bure.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

lmao expect crosby to crush ovechkin again in points since he is getting into his prime.

ovechkin in his prime does not match a crosby in his prime.

it will be like when crosby beat ovechkin by 26 points in 06-07.

ovechkins shot is not accurate at all that's why he is failing to score. he isn't taking his usual 6-7 shots a game or being that puck hog we all know him to be, but he has stepped up his playmaking

Last edited by JohnnyBlaze; 12-02-2010 at 03:23 AM.
JohnnyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Who ever said he is on the down side is insane. Other people are stepping up this year so he doesn't have to do as much. He is still a great player but since his numbers are down a bit Sid and Stamkos are now talked about more since they're off to super starts.
lmao are you blind? backstrom was an absolute monster last year and semin has been for years, so has mike green. LMFAO stepping up. ovechkin plays with 3 ELITE hockey players everyday, every shift.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I've read a few articles now that Alex Ovechkin is on the downside of his career or in a season-long slump. Both might be true, but I doubt it, and here is why:

Prior to this season, Ovechkin's career shooting percentage was .125, which meant every 8 shots resulted in a goal. This season his shooting percentage is .092, so while he has taken more shots this season he has less goals.

Chances are A.O. will return to mean, and if that happens, his next 325 shots will result in 41 more goals, getting to 51 for the season.

At the same time he is on a similar pace for assists like last season. Assuming he stays healthy and doesn't get suspended again, we're looking at 60-65 assists.

My guess, 55 G, 65 Assists, 120 points total for the season, which will be good enough for 4th or 5th in the NHL.
Ovechkin has 112 SOG this year in 26 games played. That would mean he's on pace for 241 more shots, not 325. If he scores at a 12.5% rate, that would be an additional 30 goals, leaving him with 40 on the season. It's pretty unlikely that he'll reach 55 goals this year. I think Ovechkin is looking at finishing with 40-something goals this year because as he gets hot, he'll likely get a few more SOG.

He's actually on pace for 72 assists on the year right now. Scaling that down a little as his goal scoring presumably picks up, and I think somewhere in the 60-somethings for assists is reasonable. That would leave Ovechkin with about 110 points, which falls right in line with his last three years (112, 110, 109).

110 points should be good enough for third in the league.
Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Had wrong number, I was working with 22 games played, my bad. Still I'm betting 55 is closer than 40, Ovy scores in bunches and has yet to hit a hot streak.

Sid and Stamkos are going to leave him in the dust statistically this year, Backstrom will assist a lot of A.O.'s goals and has refound his scoring touch, it would be a surprise to see Semin and Backstrom at 3 and 4 and AO at 5. It would kind of be like Lemieux, Jagr and Stevens.

What exactly do you tell your goaltender when those guys are coming at you and BTW Mike Green is on the blue-line with John Carlson?
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
Old 12-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
What exactly do you tell your goaltender when those guys are coming at you and BTW Mike Green is on the blue-line with John Carlson?
The same thing we always do Pinky, "keep the puck out of the net"!!!
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isn’t that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Shop Smart, Shop Rink-Mart
Rinkwraith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
lmao are you blind? backstrom was an absolute monster last year and semin has been for years, so has mike green. LMFAO stepping up. ovechkin plays with 3 ELITE hockey players everyday, every shift.
Ovie does not play me 3 elite players everyday if you watched the games. He plays with Backstrom and then another player usually knuble but they mix it up.

Ovie is not taken more shots like KMD says he is taken less shots so is goals are a bit lower to start the season. Also his assists are UP compared to last season. He is on Pace for 40+ goals and 70-80 Assists. Ovechkin is playing smarter if teams want to double team him, which they have been doing then he steps up his passing game takes what's giving to him and is passing the puck to others to score.

Crosby will NEVER have the all around game ovie has its just not in him he is to much of a wuss he may break a nail.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
=Crosby will NEVER have the all around game ovie has its just not in him he is to much of a wuss he may break a nail.
Gotta be careful about breaking nails when your holding up the CUP!

Opening a new hobby shop soon northwest of Pittsburgh, check us out at luckylarryssportscards.com and Lucky Larry's Sports Cards on facebook!
hanes1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanes1111 View Post
Gotta be careful about breaking nails when your holding up the CUP!
Personally, I'd be more careful about Crosby's nails in this situation....
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isn’t that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Shop Smart, Shop Rink-Mart
Rinkwraith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacardi2 View Post
Ovie does not play me 3 elite players everyday if you watched the games. He plays with Backstrom and then another player usually knuble but they mix it up.

Ovie is not taken more shots like KMD says he is taken less shots so is goals are a bit lower to start the season. Also his assists are UP compared to last season. He is on Pace for 40+ goals and 70-80 Assists. Ovechkin is playing smarter if teams want to double team him, which they have been doing then he steps up his passing game takes what's giving to him and is passing the puck to others to score.

Crosby will NEVER have the all around game ovie has its just not in him he is to much of a wuss he may break a nail.

Lol? All-around game is considered coasting back to play defense and rarely getting into your own defensive zone? You must not watch hockey, or understand the meaning of the words you choose! Crosby is by far the better *all-around* player, but Ovechkin is more of the pure scorer like a Bure (but not as good in my opinion). Russians do not play defense unless pressured to by somebody. Crosby takes face-offs, plays defense, does the dirty work it takes , and Ovechkin coasts around to get in good shooting spots or tries to take it all the way himself. They just really have different styles, but no way is Ovechkin an all-around player!

Way different styles, both great players, both are not gonna win the awards every year as there are way too many super players in the NHL. And to further the point, Nicklas Backstrom may be their best player but super overlooked. Sidney plays with nobody near that calibur on his line (unless they put Malkin with him to get scoring going)..
goobers80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacardi2 View Post

ya wsh fans are the dumbest, it's a fact. ovi a better all around player then crosby lmfao. really LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is what ovi does roam around waiting for a breakout pass and he NEVER EVER PLAYS DEFENSE IN HIS OWN ZONE. that's something crosby does on a constant basis. PLus crosby is the best face off man in the league considering his % and how many he takes and he actually will block shots every once in a while. don't be sore that ovechkin couldn't even beat crosby at his own game when CROSBY was a pure passer (remember 09 round 2) LMFAO!!!!! now crosby is an elite goal scorer(juts based on will) and was always an elite passer. i bet crosby will beat ovechkin in every category, even though he plays with scrubs and WILL go farther in the playoffs(like usual)

wsh fans truly know nothing about hockey, all i hear from you fans is crosby is a cry baby, LOL shows how much you watch hockey.

by the way Crosby is a way better leader

well OK then who is MIKE GREEN HUH? he is a 80 point a year defense men. that's called E-L-I-T-E +backstrom

ovechkin plays with semin more then crosby plays malkin

your silly, crosby has been in 5 fights and you consider him a wuss, what does that make ovi?

Last edited by JohnnyBlaze; 12-02-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey laughing boy get a clue before you run your mouth. Semin didn't play with Ovie last year and coincidentally never had a start like he's had this year. Laich has been putting up points. Guys like Fehr are getting more power play time this year. Their D besides just Green are chipping in some goals. I'd call that stepping up as they are still winning games with Ovie scoring less goals.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Oh and before you say anything else stupid, I think Crosby is the top player in the game today even if he is a douche on occasion so its not like I'm a hater or an Ovie lover. I probably forgot more about hockey than you know.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobers80 View Post
Nicklas Backstrom may be their best player but super overlooked. Sidney plays with nobody near that calibur on his line (unless they put Malkin with him to get scoring going)..
He is but that doesn't make Crosby better than AO.

He may pull some b.s. moves, but Crosby is the best player in the NHL right now.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Let's not start thinking Crosby deserves some push for a Selke or anything. He's not in the top 30 in the league in either blocks or takeaways from the center position and plays very little on the PK. He's average at best defensively.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

OVIE still good
Old 12-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zammos1 View Post
Let's not start thinking Crosby deserves some push for a Selke or anything. He's not in the top 30 in the league in either blocks or takeaways from the center position and plays very little on the PK. He's average at best defensively.
Why would they have to play Crosby on the PK anyway? They have the #1 PK unit in hockey. Orpik and Michalek along with Adams and Talbot or Cooke is the best unit in hockey. If the Pens didn't have those quality guys, sure Crosby would play on the PK but there's just no real reason to put him out there right now. To say he's average at best defensively is just an absurd comment.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zammos1 View Post
if crosby is average at defense, then i am better at defense then ovechkin
Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
if crosby is average at defense, then i am better at defense then ovechkin
His defense is at the level of an NHL All Star and has been since he entered the league... but when you score at the rate Crosby does that isn't what draws your attention.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
His defense is at the level of an NHL All Star and has been since he entered the league... but when you score at the rate Crosby does that isn't what draws your attention.
is that a diss or compliment?

Last edited by JohnnyBlaze; 12-02-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

personally I think both are great players but I would pick Ovechkin over Crosby any day. For people that say Ovechkin doesn't play defense do you ever watch any Capitals games I mean come on and that does't mean a couple here and there. I think Crosby is a heck of a player but I like Ovechkin's attitude better.

Crosby and Ovechkin in a fight = Ovechkin by a long shot and would be fun to see.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts View Post
personally I think both are great players but I would pick Ovechkin over Crosby any day. For people that say Ovechkin doesn't play defense do you ever watch any Capitals games I mean come on and that does't mean a couple here and there. I think Crosby is a heck of a player but I like Ovechkin's attitude better.

Crosby and Ovechkin in a fight = Ovechkin by a long shot and would be fun to see.
meh, i think crosby would land way more shots and ovechkin would just slam him or something, crosby has been in 5 fights and won them all. ovechkin can't even throw a punch(like semin) i haven't paid much attention to ovi this year, but his defensive presence has been laughable throughout his career, and i did watch a lot of wsh games last year.

Last edited by JohnnyBlaze; 12-02-2010 at 09:24 PM.