Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Selling dilemma...a bunch of questions...

I need some advice here...ok, I didn't join Ebay until January and have thus far only made purchases, but for some fairly expensive items (cases, 86 Fleer set). However, I have some specific Cup stuff I want to sell as right now it's way overvalued. I'll have more questions as this thread goes on I'm sure.

Anyways, would the smartest thing for me to do be to put stuff up with only bin/bo? I would think most people wouldn't bid on my auctions...or, perhaps at the end people would bid things up figuring it's worth the "risk" to get a good deal.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe View Post
I need some advice here...ok, I didn't join Ebay until January and have thus far only made purchases, but for some fairly expensive items (cases, 86 Fleer set). However, I have some specific Cup stuff I want to sell as right now it's way overvalued. I'll have more questions as this thread goes on I'm sure.

Anyways, would the smartest thing for me to do be to put stuff up with only bin/bo? I would think most people wouldn't bid on my auctions...or, perhaps at the end people would bid things up figuring it's worth the "risk" to get a good deal.
I put some of my better The Cup cards as BIN/BO and haven't really gotten any offers yet. I would say the best thing to do is to start the auction at the minimum amount you want for the card. Or maybe even a little less and hope that it gets bid up to what it can.

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, I have one card I know should sell...redemption for Gretzky/Howe/Orr triple auto. There was one bid up to $800 when somebody did I bin for another at around $1,000. If I did throw it up as a bin, where should I put it at? What'd be a fair enough price where (hopefully) somebody may overpay without being ridiculous and just laughing at the price?

If I did an auction, do people usually just start the auction near what they could live with and go with no reserve? Or start at like .99 and put a reserve on? Does one strategy work better than the other?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
ND3

Quote:
Well, I have one card I know should sell...redemption for Gretzky/Howe/Orr triple auto. There was one bid up to $800 when somebody did I bin for another at around $1,000. If I did throw it up as a bin, where should I put it at? What'd be a fair enough price where (hopefully) somebody may overpay without being ridiculous and just laughing at the price?

If I did an auction, do people usually just start the auction near what they could live with and go with no reserve? Or start at like .99 and put a reserve on? Does one strategy work better than the other?
Don't use a reserve they tend to deter people from bidding. If you have a set price in your head throw it up for a BIN/BO for a bit higher and see what kind of offers come in. Be prepared....

Or if it is all gravy for you then throw it down as .99 and let it run! The marketplace will decide the price.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm just most concerned people may not trust me since I've not sold anything yet...but I have to start somewhere...I was hoping to have been up and selling on there by the time The Cup came around.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
ND3

Dude you have a pretty nice card there....the demand will be enough that people will look past it. Just make sure you put a nice scan up and you should be good to go.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
Dude you have a pretty nice card there....the demand will be enough that people will look past it. Just make sure you put a nice scan up and you should be good to go.
That's what I'm hoping for...now I have to go read up on paypal since my incoming limit will be too low.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm just most concerned people may not trust me since I've not sold anything yet...but I have to start somewhere...I was hoping to have been up and selling on there by the time The Cup came around.
I can sell it for you. LOL. I think ND is right .99 and let it ride. If you put a $1100 BIN/BO and you have low feedback sometimes people don't take the chance but with this card they may. Make sure you have a really good picture etc though. E
Old 07-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping for...now I have to go read up on paypal since my incoming limit will be too low.
Do you want me to sell the card for you???

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacardi2 View Post
I can sell it for you. LOL. I think ND is right .99 and let it ride. If you put a $1100 BIN/BO and you have low feedback sometimes people don't take the chance but with this card they may. Make sure you have a really good picture etc though. E
I just wasn't sure as I don't want it to go way too low. You think .99 but with no reserve? I think that's what I'm worried about...with bin/bo I have more control...although, I guess I could try bin and then .99 auction if need be.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
ND3

Mightbe you could along with a scan of the card add a pic of the card taken at close up with a piece of paper with your username written on it. Use Macro mode on your digi cam...if you have one.