Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: What product should I buy?
09-10 Cup 21 95.45%
10 Sterling 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up 09-10 CUP Case

I'm in between a case of 09-10 Cup and 2010 Topps Sterling Baseball. The price is a difference of a cool $700 but I've never opened a case of either (never a box of Cup) and I'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck. I'm hoping to purchase it this coming weekend from BO and have in time for the New Year.

I feel like the Cup would sell better post break and I've never actually cracked a case of a hockey product. However, I'm a more avid fan of baseball and I haven't opened a case of Sterling in my lifetime.

What do you think would be the better investment for me?

Any help would be appreciated.
prodigylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

sterling sucks
Old 12-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

3-0 early lead for Cup.

BO has it marked at $2400 for a 6-box. Pretty reasonable?
Old 12-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Buy the case of the Cup, reap the rewards on resale, then buy yourself some nice PC Sterling items.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

My only hesitation is of the $$ spent on the Cup case, how much do you really make back in resale? I'm guessing if I were to pull a Gretzky auto low #'ed, I'd make back more than half on that card alone. However, if I were to get skunked, I'd probably be making back less than half, correct? But that's the nature of trading cards and opening cases.

I'm trying to have someone talk me into this. I'm looking at prices right now on eBay haha.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

The Cup was relatively terrible this year, but its still miles ahead of Sterling which stunk to high heaven.

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

You should have put neither up there as an option. A low #'ed Gretzky auto will not bring $1200(half the case price). Actually nowhere close. Buy the Cup and your asking to lose around 50%, buy the Sterling and lose 65%. Neither in my opinion are a good option. The Cup was great for $285-300 wholesale, but $400 you have no chance.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
You should have put neither up there as an option. A low #'ed Gretzky auto will not bring $1200(half the case price). Actually nowhere close. Buy the Cup and your asking to lose around 50%, buy the Sterling and lose 65%. Neither in my opinion are a good option. The Cup was great for $285-300 wholesale, but $400 you have no chance.
Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at previous Cup breaks last night on the forums and saw that a member had listed and (and I'm fairly certain) sold a Gretzky for about $1800. I just looked at previously completed Cup items on eBay and saw Gretzkys going for $500 or so. I suppose it's really hit or miss like it is with most case breaks so I wouldn't be surprised to lose 40-50% of my money. Then again, a few of right hits and I'm up money, right?

I do appreciate the advice.

I may switch gears to 2010 Bowman Chrome Baseball haha. Wrappers themselves sell between $75 and $80, and you can unload unwanted base and complete sets for $80-100. I'd also get to crack an ungodly amount of packs.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigylush View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at previous Cup breaks last night on the forums and saw that a member had listed and (and I'm fairly certain) sold a Gretzky for about $1800. I just looked at previously completed Cup items on eBay and saw Gretzkys going for $500 or so. I suppose it's really hit or miss like it is with most case breaks so I wouldn't be surprised to lose 40-50% of my money. Then again, a few of right hits and I'm up money, right?

I do appreciate the advice.

I may switch gears to 2010 Bowman Chrome Baseball haha. Wrappers themselves sell between $75 and $80, and you can unload unwanted base and complete sets for $80-100. I'd also get to crack an ungodly amount of packs.
set do not sell that well and
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bowman Chrome isnt a terrible buy. Hit a nice Red Autograph and its easy to pay for a case. Alot of nice cards there, and the product is certainly down as far as case price. Cup again is just too easy to lose money on at $400 a box.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Easily Cup over 2010 Sterling, but I think I'd still look into other stuff. A lot of Cup breaks were rough upon release so adding on another $500 cost to the case doesn't help. If you want to go with Sterling I like 08 at the price it's around.

Last edited by mightbe; 12-24-2010 at 11:53 PM.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

The Cup is WAYYY better than Sterling.

But, the only time I made back my money with it is when I hit a Limited Logo Crosby Autos back in 2007, that paid for a whole box and then some with the other cards.

Other than that, I was always below by box price point. But what a great break.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusinha View Post
The Cup was relatively terrible this year, but its still miles ahead of Sterling which stunk to high heaven.
^^^^ agreed. I've opened at least 1 case since it came out in 05/06. This is the first year I decided not to since reselling the case is horrible. If you have time do a case of OPC. Made $150 profit on my case and still have stuff left over!

The problem is that everybody tries to rip everybody off!
MrSnyder is online now   Reply With Quote