Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default What a grading company....is this a joke?

2010-11 Sergei Bobrovsky Gem Mint 10 Young Guns Rc Card - eBay (item 230565715558 end time Dec-25-10 22:46:14 PST)
WoodyThaKid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

hahahahahahahahaha wow that is actually hilarious. Just a huge "GRADE 10"
big city goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

My thinking is that whoever did that is looking forward to eventually heading into GRADE 10

My Photobucket http://s1121.photobucket.com/home/DaDude93/ Everything not in the PC section is available
DaDude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

and someone bought it......
WoodyThaKid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Its got as much credibility as Beckett.

$15.50 isn't a bad price for a raw Bobo RC anyway.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Its got as much credibility as Beckett.
yeah that makes since...

-I do not send paypal payments as a gift, you pay your fee's and I will pay mine-
www.JLR0747.com
Twitter: @JLR0747
JLR0747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR0747 View Post
yeah that makes since...
Beckett owns a price guide and prices out graded cards but because they are separate divisions that makes it ok. That's like the fox guarding the hen house.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Beckett owns a price guide and prices out graded cards but because they are separate divisions that makes it ok. That's like the fox guarding the hen house.
I don't disagree with the statement you made here. On the other hand, having "Arrow grade" in the same sentence with Beckett Grading and stating arrow has the credibility of Beckett, that's just stupid for countless obvious reasons.

-I do not send paypal payments as a gift, you pay your fee's and I will pay mine-
www.JLR0747.com
Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR0747 View Post
I don't disagree with the statement you made here. On the other hand, having "Arrow grade" in the same sentence with Beckett Grading and stating arrow has the credibility of Beckett, that's just stupid for countless obvious reasons.
Arrow grading doesn't have a price guide that controls the market. Their credibility as a professional grader is on the same level.

I'd like to see PSA step up and take BGS' lunch, they've been better for a long, long time now.

Anyway, I'd have paid $15 for the Bobo RC.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Arrow grading doesn't have a price guide that controls the market. Their credibility as a professional grader is on the same level.

I'd like to see PSA step up and take BGS' lunch, they've been better for a long, long time now.

Anyway, I'd have paid $15 for the Bobo RC.
Yeah, PSA should step up to Arrowgrading level, Arrow=BGS, right?

Do you purchase Beckett Price guides? I don't, could you explain how they control the market?

The only thing credible in your last post is the Bobrovsky for $15 being an ok deal.

www.JLR0747.com
Old 12-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

In terms of what condition the card inside the arrow holder is in compared to the condition of a BGS Gem Mint card, KMD's argument does have some validity. While I would treat the arrow card as being a raw card if I was purchasing it, with some of the things I've seen beckett do for certain cards or certain graders, I pretty much view them as buying raw cards too (that just happen to have a higher secondary market resale value). In other words, I would not place a premium on buying a card just because its in a BGS holder, and thats exactly how I'd treat any other no-name grading company too. Only PSA and SGC hold some weight if I'm buying for my own collection. Just like with autograph authentication, only PSA/DNA and JSA really hold weight with me. I may still buy another brand, but I'll use my own judgment and won't pay a premium for it. BGS is equivalent to GAI to me anymore if comparing a grading company with an authenticating company... had some credibility with me in the past but have since lost it.

I will say that BGS still has the best holder though for card safety. So I guess they still have some archival value to me... even though most of the time I will pop cards out of BGS holders because I don't want my collection associated with BGS.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike

Last edited by ohiomike; 12-26-2010 at 10:50 AM.
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

BGS lost a lot of it's credibility after it gave the Strasburg Super a 9.5.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

For Beckett to do auctions and The final sale price of the card determines how much profit they are going to make and for them to set the market price ( or so they think they do ) with publishing a price guide is the biggest conflict of intrest I have ever seen. Think about it they might jack the price up in there August issue of a certin card or set or player because they know in September they have some cards coming in that they will be putting up for auction. Shady, Shady, Shady and there is no way around it.