Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Cup Malkin rookie 57/71, OK this is getting ridiculous...

OK, I was actually thinking about putting a serious bid on this card, but sure enough, something fishy is going on here as well:

ebaygomaz's The Cup Malkin 57/71

ebay listing The Cup Malkin 57/71

I mean really, are there any cards out there with the original patch still in them? I just started looking comparing some of the cards listed on the bay in the last week and already 3 or 4 fake patches/cards have turned up.

I wanted a decent Malkin patch card that was more than 1 color but I've had enough with these fake patches/cards. I'm going to have to stick to the platinum/gold /25 versions of all the high-end Cup rookies so that I don't have to worry about fake this and fake that. This is going to ruin these cards, and maybe the whole card industry, eventually.

I hope UD (and other companies) are coming up with a plan to prevent this kind of stuff from happening. Why couldn't they just have photos of the patch cards (especially the ARPs) that you could look up on their website to see what the card should actually be? I mean, they have all the cards in their hands so why couldn't they just have an automated process of scanning them? They definitely need to do somehting about this. OK, rant is over.
mwdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdonald View Post
OK, I was actually thinking about putting a serious bid on this card, but sure enough, something fishy is going on here as well:

ebaygomaz's The Cup Malkin 57/71

ebay listing The Cup Malkin 57/71

I mean really, are there any cards out there with the original patch still in them? I just started looking comparing some of the cards listed on the bay in the last week and already 3 or 4 fake patches/cards have turned up.

I wanted a decent Malkin patch card that was more than 1 color but I've had enough with these fake patches/cards. I'm going to have to stick to the platinum/gold /25 versions of all the high-end Cup rookies so that I don't have to worry about fake this and fake that. This is going to ruin these cards, and maybe the whole card industry, eventually.

I hope UD (and other companies) are coming up with a plan to prevent this kind of stuff from happening. Why couldn't they just have photos of the patch cards (especially the ARPs) that you could look up on their website to see what the card should actually be? I mean, they have all the cards in their hands so why couldn't they just have an automated process of scanning them? They definitely need to do somehting about this. OK, rant is over.
I'm sure this has been thought of before, but it's a great idea. You should write to UD with the suggestion, I'm serious. They probably wouldn't do this for every product (if any), and even if they were to do this, they would probably only consider this for high end only and limited cards like the Crosby rookies of the world /99. I don't see them cataloguing thousands of cards, but maybe a few hundred like this since they are $10,000 cards. Would be very awesome of the companies if they ever did anything like this, but my guess is they won't because they don't know us, all they know is our money. The next time UD cares about their customers will be the first in my book.
derek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's hard to tell but in the 2nd pic of the Malkin card it looks like the edges of the window holding the swatch is damaged, especially the right side.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
It's hard to tell but in the 2nd pic of the Malkin card it looks like the edges of the window holding the swatch is damaged, especially the right side.
I noticed the same thing...should someone report this?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

so who is faking the patches?

could ebaygomaz be using photoshop to create cards that he would want?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post

Devils advocate. I like this roll.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post

That's right, someone wants a single color patch when a multicolor is possible...I think we can rule this out . All of these fake patches have gone from single color to multicolor. No one is going to replace a patch with one that will diminish the value of the card.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek55 View Post
I'm sure this has been thought of before, but it's a great idea. You should write to UD with the suggestion, I'm serious. They probably wouldn't do this for every product (if any), and even if they were to do this, they would probably only consider this for high end only and limited cards like the Crosby rookies of the world /99. I don't see them cataloguing thousands of cards, but maybe a few hundred like this since they are $10,000 cards. Would be very awesome of the companies if they ever did anything like this, but my guess is they won't because they don't know us, all they know is our money. The next time UD cares about their customers will be the first in my book.
I think I will actually follow through on this. I will have to contact UD to make sure I send my thoughts on to someone who will actually read them.

I mean, at $300+ a pack, surely UD should be able to provide some certainty to the buyer that these cards are authentic and haven't been altered. Clearly, having them graded by BGS provides no guarantee either. Other than obvious physical damage to the card, the only way we have of verifying the authenticity of a patch is if someone catalogues photos of all these cards. Even this isn't foolproof, but it's the best method we currently have available.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Couldn't you send the 2 pictures to ebay? I think if you did they might take the auction down.
Shingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Why would someone risk that card for such a tiny 2 color piece? The amount of second color is not even worth mentioning. I am sure there is no chance that there are 2 of each card made, these are UD cards.

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

What if they issued certificates of authenticity with a little photo of the actual card for only the #/99's or better yet post the original scans on their web site.
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Collector View Post
What if they issued certificates of authenticity with a little photo of the actual card for only the #/99's or better yet post the original scans on their web site.
The original scans was the idea I was alluding to. But With advances in technology, it probably won't be too many years before they have what our driver's licence cards have with the small picture of the driver's photo in the corner. Something like this on the back of the card with a photo of the patch would be sick. Then, maybe UD could justify the $300+ for a pack of cards!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrus1 View Post
Why would someone risk that card for such a tiny 2 color piece? The amount of second color is not even worth mentioning. I am sure there is no chance that there are 2 of each card made, these are UD cards.
I would assume that by putting a better but not too extravagant patch in the card would not draw people into the conversation that we are having now. What would you notice more, a 2 color Patrick Kane patch or one that had a patch of the headdress that is on the Blackhawks uni?

Doesn't DLP have a technology that they print something on the patch that you can use a special light to determine if the patch is legit. But that wouldn't help too much, as you would have to buy the card and send it in to them to get verified.