Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #51 (permalink)

Flyers captain Mike Richards won’t be suspended for his hit on Tim Connolly in Sunday’s Flyers win over the Sabres. According to an NHL source, there is not a disciplinary hearing for Richards, which means he’ll play in Tuesday’s Game 7.

Late in the second period of Game 6, Richards drove Connolly into the boards and it is unlikely Connolly, who has a history of concussions, will be able to return in this series.

The Sabres had hoped Richards would be out as well. To them, it was a hit worthy of suspension.

“If Mike Richards thinks we’re getting away with murder, I don’t know what he just got away with," Sabres goalie Ryan Miller said, according to the Buffalo News. "Mass murder? Are we stepping it up a notch? Unbelievable. We lose a player for the rest of the game. That’s the kind of hit the league has been talking about that’s dangerous. They better seriously consider looking at that one. It’s unbelievable"
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #52 (permalink)

Let me start by saying that I have been a Flyers fan for around 20 years and I have to admit I thought they were in trouble before game 6 started.I have vivid memories of playoffs past when the Flyers have faced an elimination game against Buffablow and been utterly embarassed 8-0 and 7-1.
After seeing Game 6 however,I am very confident for Game 7.
Let's Go Flyers!
Also I totally agree with BamBam, for a guy who never wants to talk about anything Ryan Miller certainly talks alot about everything.I think he's hysterical.
Slimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #53 (permalink)

Richards is one of the league's golden children like Chara. Senseless hit that won't see any sort of punishment. Yes, Connolly is a bit of a band-aid, but that hit could have ended his career. It's not like this is the first cheap shot Richards had this series, let alone his career.

Ryan Miller opens his mouth all the time, outside of Buffalo, no one will know that, though. He is very opinionated.

But Game 7, put up or shut up. I would expect a good, not-so-clean fight. Excited to get 3 players back today, Derek Roy, Jochen Hecht, and Andrej Sekera. Roy should pack a scoring punch, Hecht will be able to fill in where Pominville does so well, and Sekera should be able to help the defence, as they have looked lost at points during this series.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #54 (permalink)

Good series SteveO. I give your boys a lot of credit for the effort without some key players. Flyers line depth was too much for the Sabres to match and Miller couldn't steal this one. Good to see the power play click and the team play hard for most of this one. After Leino scored and Miller got yanked they seemed to lose some intensity but the game was all but decided even with half the third to go.

If nothing else I'm glad to see the power play working. If they get that going and can make teams pay for their penalties once or twice a game they will be very very tough to beat.

Oh yeah.......ahem.......

BOOOOOOOOOUCHHHHHHHHHHHH

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #55 (permalink)

Game...set...match.

See ya in Round 2!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Game...set...match.

See ya in Round 2!
Yes sir. Hopefully the Flyers bring the same intensity to game 1 this time around......but we know odds are they won't. They love to make things interesting it seems.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #57 (permalink)

Bloody hell.... I love watching my team lay down when it counts most.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #58 (permalink)

1) Flyers outplayed the Sabres last night, showed up in the shots on goal, creating turnovers, and intensity. It was a terrific series and no reason for Buffalo to hang their heads. I seriously feel if they go after Richards in the FA market, they can be a real force next year.

2) Officiating had me scratching my head. Versus showed a nice replay of Pronger skating around grabbing and holding everyone's stick he could, shouldn't have been that difficult to call out there. The interference penalty on Myers was one of the biggest jokes I've seen in awhile and led to goal #2 for Philly. If you can't clear the crease when the puck is in there, what's the point of playing defense...horrible call. I'm really in favor of expanding the crease back to its original size and keeping the players out of it now.

3) Richards boarding where he directs Connolly with his arm = 2 minutes. Lucic boarding going for a big hit = 5 minutes, game misconduct. Nice credibility issue NHL.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #59 (permalink)

So who is taking bets on how many goalies the Flyers use in the second round.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #60 (permalink)

I don't think the Flyers outplayed the Sabres last night. I think the Sabres thought it was game one of training camp. 2 Shots on goal in the first really. Buffalo didn't have the drive from the first face off. They looked real bad and come July there will be a lot of changes. This owner wants a cup and as a FAN owner with a ton of cash I think he will make some moves. We need two real good D-men and we have the trading power to get them. Should be a good off season and we will see what happens in the months to come.
BloHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #61 (permalink)
Banned

I love how everything that happened in the last 2 games is an issue. But if you look at the first few games you'll see many penalties against the Flyers that SHOULDN'T have happened.

Like when Carcillo was hit in the back by one guy and in the front by Miller. Carcillo never even swung, but got 2 minutes roughing.

I agree, the officiating was HORRIBLE! But look at the whole series and you'll see the Sabres got a lot more breaks in the beginning. Probably the only reason why they won a few games to begin with.

FLYERS ALL THE WAY TO THE CUP!
crazy8parlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8parlay View Post
Like when Carcillo was hit in the back by one guy and in the front by Miller. Carcillo never even swung, but got 2 minutes roughing.
i still cant get over that, i give Carcillo a ton of credit for the way he played, really trying to give the Flyers a man up not a man down. look at all the stuff after the whistle Buffalo always had a 3rd and 4th guy in and never a call
but none of that matters now on to round 2 : )
nick9819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
I love how everything that happened in the last 2 games is an issue. But if you look at the first few games you'll see many penalties against the Flyers that SHOULDN'T have happened.

I agree, the officiating was HORRIBLE! But look at the whole series and you'll see the Sabres got a lot more breaks in the beginning. Probably the only reason why they won a few games to begin with.

FLYERS ALL THE WAY TO THE CUP!
So it's ok for Carcillo to slash Miller and fall on top of him and have Miller not defend himself. That's Miller's area, and if Carcillo intrudes that area and assaults Miller, he deserves the penalty and the punch to the face.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #64 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobert1205 View Post
So it's ok for Carcillo to slash Miller and fall on top of him and have Miller not defend himself. That's Miller's area, and if Carcillo intrudes that area and assaults Miller, he deserves the penalty and the punch to the face.
Watch it again HOMER!

Webber pushed Carcillo into the crease. Then Webber hit him in the shoulder which made the stick hit Miller. The first swing was at the puck.

YouTube - Ryan Miller & Dan Carcillo; April 20, 2011
Old 04-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Watch it again HOMER!

Webber pushed Carcillo into the crease. Then Webber hit him in the shoulder which made the stick hit Miller. The first swing was at the puck.

Seriously, if there is any way anyone can objectively watch this and say Carcillo did anything wrong, then I just don't know what else to say...

Unfortunately, based on Carcillo's reputation, someone could take a baseball bat off the bench, whack him in the knee caps....and Carcillo would still get a penalty.

The officiating is so inconsistent/terrible, it's become a joke (and this is not whining...it was bad for both teams...Flyers won the series, but the officiating was just putrid).
Old 04-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Watch it again HOMER!

Hi pot, have you met the kettle???

Philly fans are some of the most fair-weather fans I have ever spoken to. Richards should have been suspended for his boarding penalty on Connolly, Briere should have been sent to the locker room for the rest of the game for his hit on Niedermayer. I really do not want to hear about the refs or the league giving the Flyers the shaft. Mike Richards might be one of the dirtiest players in hockey, Briere is not fair off either.

Carcillo's rep definitely played a role into that. Guy has a screw loose.

We'll see how far your little goaltending carousel does gets you. I think Philly will be playing TB, mirror images of one another. Should be a good series, but I hope Philly gets bounced.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobert1205 View Post
Hi pot, have you met the kettle???

Philly fans are some of the most fair-weather fans I have ever spoken to. Richards should have been suspended for his boarding penalty on Connolly, Briere should have been sent to the locker room for the rest of the game for his hit on Niedermayer. I really do not want to hear about the refs or the league giving the Flyers the shaft. Mike Richards might be one of the dirtiest players in hockey, Briere is not fair off either.

Carcillo's rep definitely played a role into that. Guy has a screw loose.

We'll see how far your little goaltending carousel does gets you. I think Philly will be playing TB, mirror images of one another. Should be a good series, but I hope Philly gets bounced.
And if you notice. All that bad stuff that happened, happened near the end of the series when the Flyers were fed up with the officiating. It doesn't take much to light a fuse under a team. The officials are the only ones to blame for all that happened in that series.

And yes, Carcillo's rep is the only reason he got a penalty, because he did NOTHING to get one.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #68 (permalink)

maybe if Connolly had his head up it would not have been the first thing to get hit. Connolly has a history of concussions if it was anyone else you guys would not be crying for a suspension. 2 min yea sure but suspension come on.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #69 (permalink)
Banned

I also remember game 1 or 2 when the guy ran into Richards elbow. Richards got a 5 minute major for doing nothing.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #70 (permalink)

At least there is one Sabers fan that is ok with the Richards call
Knee-Jerk Reaction: Game 6 | Sabre Noise

"I’m okay with the Mike Richards hit. I don’t think there should be any action by the league and I was really let down that Lindy said anything about it. He deserved 2 minutes, he got it, and the captain of the Flyers put his team down 2 men. It would’ve been awesome if the 5-on-3 could’ve capitalized but instead we all had to wait until it was over for Gerbe to punch home his goal. It sucks to lose Connolly (by the way, we now have 3 injured starting centers) but the hit wasn’t worth any more than 2 minutes. "
Old 04-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #71 (permalink)

i think the Sabers got away with a pretty nasty elbow in game 5 or 6 i think, i forget who it was
Old 04-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
I also remember game 1 or 2 when the guy ran into Richards elbow. Richards got a 5 minute major for doing nothing.
I also remember that one time when that Booth guy ran right into Richards' shoulder when Richards was just skating down the ice minding his own business......

YouTube - Mike Richards destroys/hits David Booth

Hey, guess what everybody, Richards knows exactly what he is doing out there and his hit here along with a Chris Neil hit on Drury set off the entire "what the hell are they doing with headshots out there" fiasco the NHL is now embroiled in.

You know the quote "the greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist". Somehow Richards has done this with the NHL since anyone knows he is one of the poster childs of the headshot campaign. Flyers might as well sell Soze #18 jerseys. Damn, good idea, might print one up and have Richards sign it....
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #73 (permalink)

Blah blah blah Mike Richards blah blah blah. Hey Lindy what do yo u think ? "Whiners !" Thanks Lindy.

You people crack me up, as if anyone wouldn't want Richards on their team. The guy has skill and plays with an edge. My only issue with Richards is he doesn't always bring it night after night and that's a bit troubling when he's wearing the C.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Blah blah blah Mike Richards blah blah blah. Hey Lindy what do yo u think ? "Whiners !" Thanks Lindy.

You people crack me up, as if anyone wouldn't want Richards on their team. The guy has skill and plays with an edge. My only issue with Richards is he doesn't always bring it night after night and that's a bit troubling when he's wearing the C.
C'mon Bam, we know the guy has skill and is an elite player. He'll be ranked high for my fantasy team next year as well. It's that edge that is the is the funky part. If you play with an edge, fine, good for the playoffs as well, I expect an edge from players then. Just when you play with an edge and your opponent plays back with one, don't start giving lip service to the refs saying "hey, you should penalize their edge". That's the part that annoys me. Philly plays with an edge and Pronger and others are essentially Eddie Guerreros of the NHL. Richards shouldn't have said anything, Ruff shouldn't have said anything, both teams should have just gone out and played with an edge.

I'm still baffled how Richards has not had one disciplinary hearing when he crosses the line with that edge, but that is a different story.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
C'mon Bam, we know the guy has skill and is an elite player. He'll be ranked high for my fantasy team next year as well. It's that edge that is the is the funky part. If you play with an edge, fine, good for the playoffs as well, I expect an edge from players then. Just when you play with an edge and your opponent plays back with one, don't start giving lip service to the refs saying "hey, you should penalize their edge". That's the part that annoys me. Philly plays with an edge and Pronger and others are essentially Eddie Guerreros of the NHL. Richards shouldn't have said anything, Ruff shouldn't have said anything, both teams should have just gone out and played with an edge.

I'm still baffled how Richards has not had one disciplinary hearing when he crosses the line with that edge, but that is a different story.
Eddie who ? The Booth hit wasn't illegal at the time and the Kaleta play was him protecting himself from getting run while he was already engaged along the boards with another Sabre. Not making excuses for him just stating facts.

The only hit that might have warranted a game was the Connolly hit but I think the league looked at it as nobody other than Connolly and his fragile head would have missed more than a shift after that hit so they let it slide. They could have given him a game based on the fact it was from behind and careless as I posted before but he didn't run Connolly and finish him into the boards ala Lucic and he didn't make any physical contact with his head. The league has no problem suspending Flyers, they've done it many times over the years.