Blowout Cards Forums
Labor Day

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Steve Downie Receives 20 Game Suspension

Steve Downie of The Philadelphia Flyers received a massive suspension for a hit that would most likely would have been a maximum of 5 or even 10 games last season and 1-3 games in previous seasons. He did everything wrong, but I have seen similar hits receiving no supsnesions, such as Cam Janssen and Tomas Kaberle last year. I think this penalty is too harsh and was expecting 5 games. If the NHL suspends Downie for twenty games, maybe they should hand out similar suspensions for most hits to the head. This penalty will not deter this type of play, especially from the energy players and hard hitting power fowards. Any thoughts? By the way, he still can play in the AHL and come back after 20 games.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to allhockey

20 games does seem a bit over the top, and if he can play with the Phantoms well no real issue I suppose. I doubt he was a lock to make the club outta camp anyway, have not heard much buzz about him yet. Will be interesting to see if the league keeps this up or slowly drifts away as the season progresses along, much like they did several yrs ago with the obstruction and interference calls.........
allhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

As long as the NHL is planning to apply this to starts and scrubs alike, that is fine. Personally I'd like to see them call diving more often so that guys like Crosby and Ribeiro got their just desserts for playing dirty like that too.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

You all know I'm a die hard Flyers fan but even I have to admit that was a pretty cheap hit. Its one thing to try and catch a guy with his head down ala Scott Stevens but to leave your skates is unexcusable. Twenty games is harsh but I didn't see Downie making the club out of camp this year anyway. When he does stick with the club he will be an instant fan favorite for sure.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

20 sounds like a lot i thought. 10 maybe... not 20 though. the guy is lucky he didn't get killed though from a skate, since everyone was jumping on the guy... a few came close to him it looked like.
andrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

He was a lock to make to the team after the Flyers lost gour players to injury for up to six weeks during the same game. Upshall has a fractured wrist, one foward broke a finger, Lupul is out with a sprained wrist, and Randy Jones is out indefinitely
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote