Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Panini Peek: 2010-11 Dominion Hockey

Panini Peek: 2010-11 Dominion Hockey

May 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

My hands are a little shaky at the moment so you’ll have to excuse any typos in this post. I just spent the last 10 minutes marveling at the preliminary product information and images for 2010-11 Dominion Hockey . . . and I can’t stop shaking.

Frankly, I don’t even know where to begin previewing a product of this magnitude.

Dominion, without question one of the most anticipated new launches of the entire collecting year across all sports, packs a stop-you-in-your-tracks wallop that will have collectors buzzing from now until well after the product launches in late July. Heck, the name debate alone — Dominion instead of National Treasures — has had people talking for months already.

“If there’s one thing I’ve learned over more than two decades in this industry, it’s that hockey collectors are unique,” says Panini America NHL Brand Manager Al Muir. “They’re an island unto themselves and they expect to be treated in a way that recognizes and celebrates that quality. Dominion is built specifically for hockey collectors, by hockey collectors. The name itself says as much.

“Everyone’s heard of the Stanley Cup, but only true hockey fans know its original name is the Dominion Challenge Cup. We wanted to honor that legacy with Dominion Hockey.”

To that end, the product promises a high-end, heirloom-quality collecting experience brimming with cut signatures, hard-signed autographs galore, mesmerizing memorabilia selections and a guaranteed “wow” factor. Every eight-card box carries a $350 suggested retail price and delivers six autograph or memorabilia hits (at least three autographs guaranteed including at least one hard-signed Rookie Card).

Highlighting Dominion’s myriad collection-making cornerstones are . . .

Kindest Cuts 1/1 cut signatures honoring the greatest hockey legends of all time
The hockey debut of Pen Pals autographs featuring signatures of two, three or four hockey greats on one card, with Duals numbered to 50, Triples numbered to 25 and Quads numbered to 5
Peerless Patches Dual and Quad booklet cards featuring the choicest pieces of memorabilia from hockey’s greatest stars of yesterday and today
Engravatures cards embedded with pieces of real silver that are engraved with the names of former Stanley Cup winner – just like on the real thing — limited to just 10 copies
The return of Nifty 50, one of the hobby’s most famous insert names, complete with hard autographs of hockey’s fabled single-season 50-goal scorers
Brass Bonanza on-card autographs that pay tribute to the legends of the Hartford Whalers, all numbered to 50 or less
The unique Tape to Tape insert featuring autographs from stars on actual tape sliced from their game-used hockey sticks
“We know what collectors want, and we packed it into Dominion,” Muir says. “You like hard-signed autographs? Every signature in Dominion is on-card. You like ultra short-printed RCs? In the past you’ve had to settle for a handful. Dominion brings 20 hard-signed/patch RCs limited to just 99 copies. You expect oversized premium swatches? We deliver them with Peerless Patches booklet cards, Rookie Showcase inserts and the Mammoth Memorabilia cards — those swatches are so big we could barely fit a photo into the design. We also have some sweet new concepts like Engravatures, Tape to Tape Autographs, Ring of Honour Memorabilia and many more.

“The hobby is built on supply and demand. We know the demand will be there. But we can also tell you this: The supply will be very limited. Dominion isn’t a product for the masses. This is for the high-end hobbyists, the whales. Even they’ll have to fight among themselves for it with these quantities. Should make for a dynamic secondary market for Dominion.”

Enjoy the following gallery and stay tuned to The Knight’s Lance for complete Dominion updates.

Panini Peek: 2010-11 Dominion Hockey The Official Panini America Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

It looks pretty nice, especially that booklet card. I am glad they did not try to copy the Cup and went out on their own with ideas. I wonder why they chose to honor the Whalers with a set. And that hockey tape idea is pretty cool. I do not remember that ever being done. Hopefully it turns out nice.
goobers80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

First (in-depth) Look: 2010-11 Dominion Hockey

May 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM

By Andrew Tolentino | Hockey Editor

As promised in the previous glimpse of 2010-11 Dominion, Panini America just supplemented its product tease with more information and eye candy.

Falling from the same family tree as the revered National Treasures brand, Dominion is a high-end line with an eight-card box break and a $350 suggested retail price. It’s definitely not stickered for the feint of heart, but it’s filled with the hits that fuel the highbrow hobby.

Panini’s NHL Brand Manager Al Muir explained, “Dominion isn’t a product for the masses. This is for the high-end hobbyists, the whales. Even they’ll have to fight among themselves for it with these quantities. Should make for a dynamic secondary market for Dominion.”

Aside from being a collectible container, each box should yield six autograph or memorabilia cards (three autographs guaranteed, one a hard-signed Rookie Card) and presumably two base cards.

Other Dominion delights include:

Kindest Cuts: 1/1 cut signatures, showcasing legendary players
Pen Pals: The hockey version of Panini’s popular multiple-player autograph cards
Duals (Numbered to 50)
Triples (Numbered to 25)
Quads (Numbered to five)
Peerless Patches Duals and Quads: Booklet cards featuring premium player memorabilia
Engravatures: Cards showcasing embedded pieces of real silver engraved with the names of former Stanley Cup Winners (Numbered to 100)
Nifty 50: An insert set, complete with on-card autographs from single-season 50-goal greats
Brass Bonanza: Hard-signed autographs in an homage to the Hartford Whalers (Numbered to 50 or less)
Tape to Tape: Inserts with autographs on the actual tape from players’ game-used sticks
Stay tuned to Beckett.com for more updates on the late-July release of 2010-11 Dominion.

First (in-depth) Look: 2010-11 Dominion Hockey |
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

That Tape idea was TOTALLY MINE! However...unless they coat the tape with something there are going to be massive issues with deterioration down the line. (I know, I play hockey). In particular I mean if they are kept in holders. Which more or less trap air inside.

1. The adhesive on the tape is going to release fumes that will effect the card color and who knows what else over time.

2. Tape deteriorates, leaving autos to vanish, become distorted, or other things.

A good idea on paper, but I don't think it's practical unless they came up with a way to "seal" the tape. You never really see autographed sticks and stuff deteriorate because they normallu hang on a wall or in a BIG case with lots of room to air.
evillittlejawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evillittlejawa View Post
That Tape idea was TOTALLY MINE! However...unless they coat the tape with something there are going to be massive issues with deterioration down the line. (I know, I play hockey). In particular I mean if they are kept in holders. Which more or less trap air inside.

1. The adhesive on the tape is going to release fumes that will effect the card color and who knows what else over time.

2. Tape deteriorates, leaving autos to vanish, become distorted, or other things.

A good idea on paper, but I don't think it's practical unless they came up with a way to "seal" the tape. You never really see autographed sticks and stuff deteriorate because they normallu hang on a wall or in a BIG case with lots of room to air.
I agree, however, another option is to not seal it all and make sure to keep it out of cases. Tape & Paper (acidic paper, not high quality non acidic art paper) need to breathe surprisingly enough. If they are sealed, that is when deterioration really takes hold.

Giants, World Champs!
cj52racers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj52racers View Post
I agree, however, another option is to not seal it all and make sure to keep it out of cases. Tape & Paper (acidic paper, not high quality non acidic art paper) need to breathe surprisingly enough. If they are sealed, that is when deterioration really takes hold.
True but who in their right mind would keep something like that (especially big names) out of a case to collect dust, moisture, etc. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.
evillittlejawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

I'm so IN for this product!

If you having girl problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems, but a b**** aint' one.
MrSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

With as bad as Panini has rolled me over routinely all year with Hockey redemptions, I don't think I'll reward them with my $$$ again by buying into this product. I"ll just get The Cup instead. looks decent but I'm tired of redemptions
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
With as bad as Panini has rolled me over routinely all year with Hockey redemptions, I don't think I'll reward them with my $$$ again by buying into this product. I"ll just get The Cup instead. looks decent but I'm tired of redemptions
The Cup has redemptions too : ) At least Panini is in its first year.. I think people really throw this redemption issue over the top. Topps, Upper Deck, Panini, and ITG all use redemption programs! At least I am getting them all, except from Topps.
goobers80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Written by Tracy Hackler.

Looks Nice but come on tracy isn't this a bit much.

Panini Peek: 2010-11 Dominion Hockey
May 11, 2011
tags: 2010-11 Dominion Hockey, NHL trading cards, Panini Americaby Tracy Hackler

My hands are a little shaky at the moment so you’ll have to excuse any typos in this post. I just spent the last 10 minutes marveling at the preliminary product information and images for 2010-11 Dominion Hockey . . . and I can’t stop shaking.Frankly, I don’t even know where to begin previewing a product of this magnitude.

Dominion, without question one of the most anticipated new launches of the entire collecting year across all sports, packs a stop-you-in-your-tracks wallop that will have collectors buzzing from now until well after the product launches in late July. Heck, the name debate alone — Dominion instead of National Treasures — has had people talking for months already

A bit much, don't you think.
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Collector View Post
[COLOR="Red"]

Dominion, without question one of the most anticipated new launches of the entire collecting year across all sports, packs a stop-you-in-your-tracks wallop that will have collectors buzzing from now until well after the product launches in late July. Heck, the name debate alone — Dominion instead of National Treasures — has had people talking for months already
Actually I'm pretty sure the only reason people talk about anything Panini for months is along the basis of "it got pushed back until when now" on products.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

Written by Tracy Hackler.

My hands are a little shaky at the moment
Maybe he should get checked for Parkinsons or MS
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

What a dipshit!

Tracy "the hack" Hackler

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!

Last edited by Vintage Collector; 05-13-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
What a dipshit!

Tracy "the hack" Hackler

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
hes getting plastic surgery to look more like this
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote