Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cubfan86
Default I need 06/07 Hockey Rc for Dumbies!!!!!!!!!

I am in the process of getting back into hockey and after 10+ years of not really watching it is hard. I mean I feel like a girl that asks about a bauk SP? in baseball.
I use to live in St louis and followed the Blues closely. Since moving to the middle of Illinois hockey has become an afterthought. I just lost interest.
Now I find myself really intrigued about the way that hockey sells and the compassion of collectors and fans.
I just don't know how to get caught up in a short time since the release of the Cup and before the season begins. If anyone has advice I would really appreciate it.
Cubfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

What kind of advice?

Stay away from investing in defensemen. Know what role the prospect is supposed to play - don't go by who scored more as a rookie, you have to look at the team they played for, their situation and their potential. If it's an investment thing, you have to take into consideration that guys who play for teams like Montreal, Detroit, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, the Rangers and Pittsburgh are going to be immensely overpriced because everyone and their idiot little brother is chasing those teams. You also have to realize that it doesn't matter how good a Phoenix rookie is, his cards are always going to be undervalued unless he either gets traded elsewhere or the team starts getting good and bandwagon morons start coming out of the woodwork (see Penguins, Pittsburgh).

Alternatively, you could just buy what you like.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cubfan86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
What kind of advice?

Stay away from investing in defensemen. Know what role the prospect is supposed to play - don't go by who scored more as a rookie, you have to look at the team they played for, their situation and their potential. If it's an investment thing, you have to take into consideration that guys who play for teams like Montreal, Detroit, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, the Rangers and Pittsburgh are going to be immensely overpriced because everyone and their idiot little brother is chasing those teams. You also have to realize that it doesn't matter how good a Phoenix rookie is, his cards are always going to be undervalued unless he either gets traded elsewhere or the team starts getting good and bandwagon morons start coming out of the woodwork (see Penguins, Pittsburgh).

Alternatively, you could just buy what you like.
That help. I have been trying to figure out which teams sell well. I know it has to be like baseball in which even if you are great if you are on a small market team like the A's,Blue Jays etc... the cards are not going to sell as well as the Yankees and Red Sox.
I have been looking at Phil Kessel right now and hoping he still has an upside. When it comes to hockey you have to look to second year momentum because most of the good cards come out at the end of or after the season.
I am starting to look through NHL.com to try and research a little as to what is going on now.
Cubfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Kessel is a good choice. If you like Boston, you might want to pick up Bergeron's rookie cards too. You can get a hard signed SP Authentic rookie card for $30-40. That's ridiculously undervalued considering how good he might be.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: 06-07 Rookies

If you want to know more about 06-07 rookies, pick up the newest edition of the Hockey Beckett. It contains a list of all the rookies produced, there potential in the NHL and their potential status in the hobby world in the future. Some of them are sure fire NHLers with full potential while others have the potential, but may never make it. For future references, I would recommemd picking up the Future Warch Issue and Draft Preview issue of The Hockey News and even a subscription for all the issues. It gives a detailed look at the top 50-60 prospects in the draft and a list of the top 100 prospects while the Future Watch issue rates the best prospects for each team and the top 75 prospects to watch along with a list of each team's top prospects. This will help you in the future. I have issues of Future Watch and the Draft Preview from 1999 to present. It is very interesting what players were expected to produce and which players made it to the NHL. Hope this helps.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

actually, you can invest in pens rookie dmen cheap. that's what i am doing. Whitney and Letang are going to be two of the best for years to come, and i can pick up their spa cards for like $10-15 shipped. and i got a sweet whitney hot pospect auto patch for $17.
andrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

another site to check out is TSN.ca/nhl - it's the Canadian version of ESPN.com without all the NBA crap. it follows the NHL much better than ESPN, has decent player ratings and draft previews, etc.
as for kessel, he is a tiny bit undervalued as compared to the other big names (like Malkin, Staal, Kopitar, Stastny), probably because he plays for a Bruins team that hasn't been very good the last couple of years. but if they break out, he'll likely be one of the reasons.
mcq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew13 View Post
actually, you can invest in pens rookie dmen cheap. that's what i am doing. Whitney and Letang are going to be two of the best for years to come, and i can pick up their spa cards for like $10-15 shipped. and i got a sweet whitney hot pospect auto patch for $17.
Not a bad play, low risk, low reward. Figure that Phaneuf will set the value bar for this rookie class and figure 70% for Whitney and maybe 65% for Letang.

If Whitney's SPA goes to $30, you've doubled your money. Its much more likely than a $300 card to jump to $600.

Oh, and I love the TSN.CA site, you can also check out rotoworld.com which is more for fantasy sports but can still give you an idea of what is going on with a player. You could hoard some player's cards and then get them ready to sell if he's called up and heats up.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Not a bad play, low risk, low reward. Figure that Phaneuf will set the value bar for this rookie class and figure 70% for Whitney and maybe 65% for Letang.

If Whitney's SPA goes to $30, you've doubled your money. Its much more likely than a $300 card to jump to $600.

Oh, and I love the TSN.CA site, you can also check out rotoworld.com which is more for fantasy sports but can still give you an idea of what is going on with a player. You could hoard some player's cards and then get them ready to sell if he's called up and heats up.

if either of them turn out to be the pen's coffey to go with their messier and gretzky, it'll be a real cheap investment. a auto rookie of a hofer would bring a pretty penny i'd imagine in 20 years.
andrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRHOCKEYFAN View Post
If you want to know more about 06-07 rookies, pick up the newest edition of the Hockey Beckett. It contains a list of all the rookies produced, there potential in the NHL and their potential status in the hobby world in the future.
No offense, but that's like telling someone to read a Hot Wheels magazine to learn about what automobiles will be rolling out of Detroit in the coming years. Al is an okay hockey writer, but he knows absolutely NOTHING about prospects. At all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRHOCKEYFAN View Post
Some of them are sure fire NHLers with full potential while others have the potential, but may never make it. For future references, I would recommemd picking up the Future Warch Issue and Draft Preview issue of The Hockey News and even a subscription for all the issues. It gives a detailed look at the top 50-60 prospects in the draft and a list of the top 100 prospects while the Future Watch issue rates the best prospects for each team and the top 75 prospects to watch along with a list of each team's top prospects. This will help you in the future. I have issues of Future Watch and the Draft Preview from 1999 to present. It is very interesting what players were expected to produce and which players made it to the NHL.
Again, not the best of sources. THN's Future Watch is compiled by beat writers for individual teams. A beat writer doesn't see prospects play, outside of prospect camp, so anything "detailed" that they write is based on written accounts from beat writers of minor league and junior teams. The beat writers for minor league and junior teams tend to work in those markets because they deserve to, and they are writers, not people paid to evaluate talent.

If you want a better way to know who to invest in, either start going to junior and NCAA games, or do some research on the NHL Draft and the prospects in it. You're not going to get reliable information from ANY magazine.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote