Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 08/09 ROY???

What are the qualifications one has to meet to be eligible? Also, who are the frontrunners?
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

No more than 25 games played before the start of the season or more than six games each in more than two seasons.

Under 27 years of age by 9/15/2008.

Derek Brassard seemed to be the frontrunner, but he's done for the season with a separated shoulder.

Right now my guess is Kris Versteeg, Drew Doughty or Erik Ersberg, and if Ersberg gets back and is a #1 for the Kings again, its his trophy to lose.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've been surprised at how high Versteeg's Cup rookie have gone for. This sort of got me wondering...obviously, it'd be hard to predict, but if the player became a superstar down the line, what would say his /249 Cup arp level out at? Like what are the higher value /249 ones, if any, from 05/06?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe View Post
I've been surprised at how high Versteeg's Cup rookie have gone for. This sort of got me wondering...obviously, it'd be hard to predict, but if the player became a superstar down the line, what would say his /249 Cup arp level out at? Like what are the higher value /249 ones, if any, from 05/06?
The Cup rookies matter with patches and teams. Anze Kopitar may become one of the best players in the league, but he'll trail Jordan Staal for as long as he's a King, so there really isn't a good comparison.

My best comparison would be maybe Tomas Vanek from Buffalo. I think they are similar players.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have my money on Steve Mason - goalie from Columbus. He leads the league in GAA and has a streak of 3 stright shutouts going.

Versteeg or Doughty are possibilites. Honestly, I don't think Ersberg is even in the conversation at this point.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe View Post
Versteeg's Cup card is not a patch card and it's numbered to /199 I believe. It's upside is definitely limited.

From the 05/06 Cup rookies /199 (UD has since changed the print run to /249 for level 2 rookies), the big names are Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Henrik Lundqvist, and Ryan Getzlaf. Keep in mind there were twice as many rookies that year because of the lockout in 04/05. Otherwise, some of these cards would be level 1 rookies.

A 3CL Mike Richards would get around 400, 2CL around 250. A 3CL Jeff Carter about 280, a 2CL around 170. A 3CL Getzlaf around 350, a 2CL around 225. A 3CL Lundqvist around 350, a 2CL around 200.

The fact that Versteeg is Canadian will definitely help his card value. I can't ever imagine him being a superstar. The guy has never been a point-producer. He wasn't even close to a point-per-game player in junior where anyone can put points on the board. If I had any of his cards right now, I would be unloading them in a second. I think he is playing way above what he is capable of playing and part of that can be attributed to his linemate Patrick Kane, which, on the other hand, has superstar potential written all over him.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zammos1 View Post
I have my money on Steve Mason - goalie from Columbus. He leads the league in GAA and has a streak of 3 stright shutouts going.

Versteeg or Doughty are possibilites. Honestly, I don't think Ersberg is even in the conversation at this point.

Ersberg is most definitely in the conversation. That LA team is much worse defensively than the Columbus Blue Jackets. Still, I think Doughty & Ersberg will take votes away from each other so my guess is Versteeg.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think people are overlooking the leading goal scorer among rookies, Blake Wheeler. Another guy to watch out for is Bobby Ryan on the Ducks. He has only played half the games this year and has 18pts in 20 games.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdonald View Post
I think people are overlooking the leading goal scorer among rookies, Blake Wheeler. Another guy to watch out for is Bobby Ryan on the Ducks. He has only played half the games this year and has 18pts in 20 games.
Actually, Ryan is one of the guys I check up on. I started collecting him a bit as I pulled like 3 of his cup cards. Although, it was funny because when I'd look up his stats on Yahoo all the main file images displayed would show him getting nailed, lol.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdonald View Post
Forgot Wheeler was out there. That Bruins team got real good, real fast, didn't they.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Forgot Wheeler was out there. That Bruins team got real good, real fast, didn't they.
Yeah, they've really been something. I'm glad I've been sitting on this one. I remember being a bit disappointed it wasn't Lucic.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

I was wondering when Wheeler was going to get mentioned as I read the responses, Versteeg seems to be the guy to beat to date, but when all is said and done Blake Wheeler and the Bruins will be winners, this kid is one of the reasons why the Bruins have moved back to the top of the league with a great balance of youth and vets , as far as the King's rookies, they will suffer from both a poor standing as well as location/ LA.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

yeah wheeler is looking great.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've noticed that lately Versteeg stuff has been selling incredibly high...I never figured stuff would reach the levels they have. Would you guys sell now?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

dont really collect hockey that much but will versteeg or any other of these guys have a upper deck rookie
S.Gallagherfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Gallagherfan6 View Post
dont really collect hockey that much but will versteeg or any other of these guys have a upper deck rookie
Well, I think Versteeg only had rookie cards in 07/08 Be A Player/99 and 34 different 07/08 Cup cards (auto/199, gold auto/32, and non-auto/25 and 1/1). That's pushing the prices high.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

has anyone else noticed that bobby ryan is pushing his way up the rookie scoring ranks? i'm curious what happens when selanne comes back - will ryan go to the 2nd line or stay on the top?
jubei777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei777 View Post
has anyone else noticed that bobby ryan is pushing his way up the rookie scoring ranks? i'm curious what happens when selanne comes back - will ryan go to the 2nd line or stay on the top?
I don't see how you drop Ryan to line 2, but even if you do, its not like the guys on that line are slouches. I'd say Ryan has pushed his way to the top of the rookie heap, and right now the Crosby or Ryan conversation doesn't look as silly as it once did.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I don't see how you drop Ryan to line 2, but even if you do, its not like the guys on that line are slouches. I'd say Ryan has pushed his way to the top of the rookie heap, and right now the Crosby or Ryan conversation doesn't look as silly as it once did.
Yeah, I'm happier than ever that he became one of my guys to collect by default. He's been outstanding and has only played in about 25 games to boot.

Video: Bobby Ryan's sick hat-trick goal against the Kings - Puck Daddy - NHL - Yahoo! Sports