Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to allhockey
Default Hockey back on ESPN in 08-09?

I know this has been the subject of much debate on the prior board- this is interesting from the Montreal Gazette...........
"John Ourand and Tripp Mickle of Sports Business Journal report the NHL and ESPN are talking about a deal that could see the U.S. cable sports powerhouse televising games as early as the 2008-09 season.
The deal would see ESPN take over the weekly NBC package. Versus would have to surrender its exclusive cable rights in the U.S., but the network nobody can find would benefit from cross-promotions from ESPN."

Certainly a positive step if true, getting back on the 4 letter and all the exposure/spin they provide would be a very good thing............
allhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

It depends upon how many games will be televised in the U.S. If ESPN will televise 6-10 games a year on Saturdays and Sundays, it will not make much of a difference. If they are televised on ESPN2, I still don't see any difference in television ratings for hockey. ESPN and ESPN2 will need to televise at least 100 games and have many double headers and NHL2Night to make it worth my while to stop watching games on pay per view (Canadian team match-ups are some of the greatest and not seen on U.S. cable) and ignore the games on cable.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

The NHL needs one of these two things to happen:

1. Vs to become what they said it would when they signed the NHL deal - a competitor to ESPN. They have halted all progress in this area, and are basically NHL and a bunch of garbage programming right now.

or

2. To be on ESPN. If it's 10 games in addition to the Vs schedule, fine. If they can get ESPN2 coverage for a bunch of games or whatever, great. If they can get on ESPNHD, that would be huge.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

This would be HUGE for the NHL and if I were Bettman I'd listen very closely to their offer. ESPN didn't get as big as they are because their stupid. They realize the NHL has alot of appeal and could potentially become a cash cow if it ever gets marketed right.
Over twenty-something years ago they hooked onto the NFL's coat-tails and rode that into the big time. I think ESPN sees the faster game and bright young talent the NHL has and figures they can spindoctor it into prominence. Look what they do for the NBA. The NHL and VRS. need the exposure that ESPN could bring them. Even an idiot like Bettman should be able to see that.
There is a select group of viewers that are like ESPN stepfords and will watch what ESPN tells them is "NOW". Probably alot of the same people that read Beckett like its a bible. Sad but true and don't think for one minute ESPN honchos don't know it and play to it. All the overexposure of the NBA on Sportscenter highlites keeps that circus afloat. Stern probably has a shrine set up that he prays to everynight because its the only thing keeping his garbage product in the "NOW" for many viewers.
There are alot of diehard NHL fans and even without ESPN I think there are more about to jump on board in the next few years. ESPN would speed up the process dramaticlly especially if they actually opened a few Sportscenters with (gasp) NHL highlites.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

great points Bammer- I would have bet the farm 20 yrs ago that the NHL was on the cusp of the very things you spoke to, but I was very wrong.... the global aspect and international appeal of the game I thought would have put hockey over the top. One other point, sadly, hockey does not translate well to TV- even on HD. There is nothing at all on the planet like being at a game- especially a critical playoff game that could be decided by "sudden victory". I get the Centre Ice package and watch all the games I desire when I want- nothing like doing a show on Sat day and busting wax while watching games that night...........
Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Even an idiot like Bettman should be able to see that.
Gary Bettman isn't an idiot. He's done an excellent job under the circumstances, and he has been rewarded handsomely for his efforts. He is saddled with a league governed by people with no experience in business and no understanding of what it takes to sell the sport to American consumers. Still, he absolutely bent the player's union over in CBA negotiations, and has a strong, healthy league with cost certainty when the players were the ones in the position of power headed into the lockout.

People think he's an idiot because the Canadian media refers to him in that light, and the Canadian people just buy into that lockstep. They spout it so often that most people don't even bother to look into it themselves.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Gary Bettman isn't an idiot. He's done an excellent job under the circumstances, and he has been rewarded handsomely for his efforts. He is saddled with a league governed by people with no experience in business and no understanding of what it takes to sell the sport to American consumers. Still, he absolutely bent the player's union over in CBA negotiations, and has a strong, healthy league with cost certainty when the players were the ones in the position of power headed into the lockout.

People think he's an idiot because the Canadian media refers to him in that light, and the Canadian people just buy into that lockstep. They spout it so often that most people don't even bother to look into it themselves.
ok, i now know not to listen to anything you say. bettman is the biggest idiot alive. he has ruined the NHL. tv ratings are in the tank, in the southern cities noone cares at all about hockey, he took away most of the norths teams where we are hockey mad, and this whole anti-fighting thing is stupid.
andrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

As someone who has been a union member for the last 20 years its pretty obvious that Bettman's bargaining power was aided greatly by some awful advice from the head of the players union. Its not like he was some negoitiating genius. All he did was sit back and watch the players union fall apart at the seams because of poor leadership at the top. I remember a drunk Robert Esche (then Flyers player rep)calling into Comcast Sports saying how stupid the players were for not accepting the final offer the day before they went out. Once the union was divided like that, all Bettman and the owners had to do was wait it out. The longer a strike goes ,the more the bank account dwindles and thats always harder on the workers(players) and their families. Bettman was still getting paid and the owners didn't make their money off of the NHL so they just sat back a waited. I forget the name of the idiot leading the players association at that time but he made a huge miscalculation and got burned.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
As someone who has been a union member for the last 20 years its pretty obvious that Bettman's bargaining power was aided greatly by some awful advice from the head of the players union. Its not like he was some negoitiating genius. All he did was sit back and watch the players union fall apart at the seams because of poor leadership at the top. I remember a drunk Robert Esche (then Flyers player rep)calling into Comcast Sports saying how stupid the players were for not accepting the final offer the day before they went out. Once the union was divided like that, all Bettman and the owners had to do was wait it out. The longer a strike goes ,the more the bank account dwindles and thats always harder on the workers(players) and their families. Bettman was still getting paid and the owners didn't make their money off of the NHL so they just sat back a waited. I forget the name of the idiot leading the players association at that time but he made a huge miscalculation and got burned.
dont you mean the owners were not losing as much money.......so many of them saved money, that was the case here in DC with Leonsis. btw Player rep prez was Trevor Linden and Ted Saskin was the Union head.......
Old 08-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think thats what I put maybe it didn't read that way. I agree with you 100%. The owners made all their money long before they bought their franchises so its not like they didn't have anything coming in like alot of the players.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew13 View Post
ok, i now know not to listen to anything you say. bettman is the biggest idiot alive. he has ruined the NHL.
How? Back that up.

Quote:
tv ratings are in the tank,
Bettman has nothing to do with that. You can blame the owners and their insisting on a salary cap and that parity that came with it, which allowed small market teams to spend at the same level as bigger market teams.

When the cap makes the Wings, Avs and Rangers basically gut their teams, what do you expect?

Quote:
in the southern cities noone cares at all about hockey,
You mean like how Tampa was 2nd in the league in attendance in 05-06, and 3rd in the league in attendance in 06-07? Or how the bottom six teams in the league in attendance are in markets that have had NHL hockey for ~40 years?

I mean, if you're going to whine that the South doesn't like hockey, you're going to have to axe TWO ORIGINAL SIX teams before you even touch a Southern team. You have to axe teams that have won FIFTEEN CUPS before you came to your first Southern team with the worst attendance.

The problem isn't that the South doesn't like hockey. That just isn't true. The problem is that nobody follows a winner, and some of the Southern teams aren't winners. Nobody cares about the Blackhawks, their attendance numbers are always awful. Yet the lemmings always want to axe quality organizations in viable NHL markets like Tampa, Atlanta and Raleigh before they get to the markets where two (and three, four and five so some of these teams) generations have grown up with NHL hockey and still don't show up.

Please, try not to parrot what you read in a hockey column next time you whine about Southern markets. Because it just isn't true.

Quote:
he took away most of the norths teams where we are hockey mad,
Heh. Two things.

1. Bettman didn't take any teams away. They were sold to owners who wanted to move them. Winnipeg and Quebec City didn't have enough support to keep their teams, so they lost them. Hartford just didn't have the support to build a new arena, so Karmanos cut a deal with Columbus (yeah, that's right, Columbus) and then backed out at the last minute and moved to Raleigh. Bettman had nothing to do with it.

2. Hockey mad? You mean like in Pittsburgh, where they were 20TH IN THE NHL IN ATTENDANCE EVEN AFTER CROSBY'S ARRIVAL? You mean like how they had to threaten to move the team to even get people to start going to games?

THAT kind of "hockey-mad"???

Get real. People follow a winner. That's true in every sport. Chicago is in the North, and they aren't "hockey mad". The Pens, even today, are tied with the Pirates for second fiddle in that football town. The Detroit Freaking Red Wings are the fourth most popular team in that city, and the Lions have been awful for my entire lifetime.

Quote:
and this whole anti-fighting thing is stupid.
The league (not Bettman) is trying to promote the sport. You cannot promote a sport that features ridiculous nonsense like fighting. They are trying to make the sport appeal to people with an IQ in the double digits. Getting rid of fighting is long overdue.

If you want to whine about a rule, whine about the stick curve rule. That's a great way to increase scoring, especially in clutch situations, and the rule has absolutely no place in today's NHL.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

it's late and i don't feel like replying to it all, so i will tomorrow. but pens were towards the bottom because they play in the smallest arena in the NHL. this year every game is sold out, and they still may not make top 10 in attendance. but try to find buffalo, min, detroit, or any canadian team's tickets. it's next to impossible. nashville on the other hand may be evicted due to poor attendance. i've said all along, keep the ducks, stars, avs, lighning, and kings. loose the canes, thrashers, panthers, preds, yotes, and maybe SJ. those teams would do much better IMO in the north and canada. hockey is a regional sport to begin with. you can't expect people to love it when they haven't grown up with it let alone ice.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

In terms of percentage of capacity, San Jose ranks near the top. Almost all of their games are sold out. If you want to argue with wha-, er, Rabbit, it's not hard, but you're making yourself easy to attack with the statements you are making. I mean for crying out loud, this guy is saying fighting is the problem with the NHL. I suppose he'd like to get crashes out of NASCAR too.

And I agree Florida doesn't need a team, but they're the only cat team in the league so *I* need them.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
In terms of percentage of capacity, San Jose ranks near the top. Almost all of their games are sold out. If you want to argue with wha-, er, Rabbit, it's not hard, but you're making yourself easy to attack with the statements you are making. I mean for crying out loud, this guy is saying fighting is the problem with the NHL. I suppose he'd like to get crashes out of NASCAR too.

And I agree Florida doesn't need a team, but they're the only cat team in the league so *I* need them.
The NHL did do one thing right locating teams in the south, they put minor league teams there years before they put pro teams (except Tampa). The problem is a lot of these cities can support a team that needs 5000-6000 attendance, not 15000+.

I was happy to see Nashville step up and keep their team, I don't really think of Nashville as a Southern city though, its more of an eastern Hollywood than anything.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Oh, and if any team in the South needs to go, the NHL should consider (sorry Jug) relocating the Panthers to Hamilton. That is a team that could really benefit from being in a hockey hotbed because it is clear the management of that organization has lost its way, even though they smartly re-signed Horton.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
it's late and i don't feel like replying to it all, so i will tomorrow. but pens were towards the bottom because they play in the smallest arena in the NHL.
Wrong. Bottom half of the league in percentage of capacity in 05-06 and 06-07.

Quote:
this year every game is sold out, and they still may not make top 10 in attendance. but try to find buffalo, min, detroit, or any canadian team's tickets.
Actually, it's not. I know that Wings tickets aren't really tough to come by at all. If you buy an Entertainment book, they have a list of a dozen or so games that you can get tickets for buy one/get one half price. Edmonton was at 98.5% capacity, and you could walk right up to the window and get tickets the day of the game last year.

Pittsburgh's MSA is 2.4m people who have had NHL hockey for 40 years.
Nashville's MSA is 1.5m people in an expansion market.

Pittsburgh, a "hockey mad" market as you put it, with Sidney Crysby, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal and a good supporting cast in a year where they were doing everything they possibly could to get people to go to the games so they wouldn't lose their team, were able to find 16,424 people per night who were willing to go to a Pens game out of a population of 2.4 million people.

Nashville, a Southern expansion market, with an MSA just over half that of Pittsburgh, was able to find 15,259 people per night who were willing to go to a game.

Do I really need to say anything more?

Pittsburgh, despite having about a MILLION (literally) more "hockey mad" people living there, was barely able to average 1000 more people per night than a Southern expansion town with a million fewer people - a town that "doesn't care about hockey".

In other words, your argument was just completely destroyed.

Quote:
it's next to impossible. nashville on the other hand may be evicted due to poor attendance. i've said all along, keep the ducks, stars, avs, lighning, and kings. loose the canes, thrashers, panthers, preds, yotes, and maybe SJ. those teams would do much better IMO in the north and canada.
Never actually looked at attendance numbers, I take it.

Quote:
hockey is a regional sport to begin with. you can't expect people to love it when they haven't grown up with it let alone ice.
Well, apparently in places like St Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, New York/NJ, Boston and DC, you can't expect people to love it even when they DID grow up with it.

I am sick of the mindless, ignorant nonsense about hockey not belonging in the South. You make the same arguments the Southerners make about expanding NASCAR to the North and to minorities. The same exact elitist BS coming from both of you.

Last edited by Rabbit; 08-04-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
I mean for crying out loud, this guy is saying fighting is the problem with the NHL. I suppose he'd like to get crashes out of NASCAR too.
I didn't say that fighting is the problem. I said that fighting is a problem.

The people who go to a NASCAR event for the crashes have the exact same mentality as people who watch hockey for the fighting, who watch WWF wrestling (spare me the WWE reset) and MMA. It's trash entertainment.

If you like these sports for these reasons, that's fine. But the sports should not dumb themselves down to cater to these people.

Edit - By the way, nobody is attacking Andrew. I am poking holes in his ridiculous, ignorant arguments. Not Andrew himself.

Last edited by Rabbit; 08-04-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Oh, and if any team in the South needs to go, the NHL should consider (sorry Jug) relocating the Panthers to Hamilton. That is a team that could really benefit from being in a hockey hotbed because it is clear the management of that organization has lost its way, even though they smartly re-signed Horton.
Moving a team to Hamilton would accomplish NOTHING. That market already has a team. They are already buying the NHL product, and putting a team there would just be getting fans to take one jersey off and put on another. That's why the league doesn't want to put a team there, and they are smart for not wanting to do that.

The league will not grow in popularity by doing that. The smarter play is to move the team to somewhere like Las Vegas, Kansas City or Houston. They need to play in a market that doesn't have NHL hockey, where they can grow their footprint. Oklahoma City was a golden opportunity, but they let that slip away when the Sonics moved there.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

After reading this, I wonder if ANY of you ACTUALLY looked at the numbers ?
Pens were not in the bottom half of the league in avg. draw. At 96.9 % capacity there ranked 15th out of 30 teams. They also were the second highest road draw. Only the Rangers were higher.

Also, putting a team in Hamilton would be a great move for the NHL because you don't need another team in a town where it will be chic' to go to a game for the first season or two. You need to find towns that will support their team when its winning and more importantly losing ala Philly and Montreal. Really disappointed in towns like Chicago and St. Louis because they pretty much have abandoned their teams during these lean years. Putting a team in Kansas City or Oklahoma doesn't guarantee that the same crowds that show up for season 1 will be there for season 3 or 4. Might work but then again it might not. With the NHL on the verge of a major upswing in popularity, I think if your going to move one team ( please do not expand) that team should go to "charted territory" first.

Last edited by BAMBAM; 08-04-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post

The league (not Bettman) is trying to promote the sport. You cannot promote a sport that features ridiculous nonsense like fighting. They are trying to make the sport appeal to people with an IQ in the double digits. Getting rid of fighting is long overdue.
SO YOUR SAYING IF SOMEONE ENJOYS A GOOD CLEAN HOCKEY FIGHT OR ACCEPTS IT AS PART OF THE GAME THEY HAVE A LOW IQ ?
I guess then EVERYONE that ever attended a hockey game since the leagues inception are mindless savages that are satisfying their bloodlust because I've never seen anyone sitting during a fight.
Is there no limit to your hypocrisy ? As someone who always takes great offense when others on here make generalizations or asinine statements you seem to do ok throwing them out there yourself.
I love it when people who never played the game of hockey at any level comment on fighting. Its laughable. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't see how you can pass judgements on something you've never experienced. Kind of like saying you hate sushi when you've never stepped foot in a sushi bar let alone tasted a slice.

In case you missed it, hockey is a game of high impact, high speed collisions played at a high level of intensity and emotion. You can argue so is football but fighting was never part of football so don't bother. Sometimes those emotions boil over and the gloves are dropped. Its the players way of policing themselves and it has been and always should be part of the game. Thats why they actually have rules in place for fighting and penalties too. The bench clearers and all the goonery have no place in the game because it cheapens the game but a timely fight has it place.

If I were Bettman, I'd grow a pair and come out on ESPN and in magazines and fire back at those who are clueless and cry about fighting. Stop dancing around it to appease those who really wouldn't watch hockey with or without fighting. I'd say something like, "while we have taken steps over the years to eliminate the nonsense and goonery, we are not going to take a PART of the sport away that has its place and purpose. If you don't or won't watch hockey because of fighting than there are always reruns of the Golden Girls on Lifetime."

IF YOU TAKE FIGHTNG OUT OF THE GAME THAN YOU BETTER ELIMINATE CHECKING, PAD THE BOARDS AND STOCK UP ON STITCHES AND SUTURES BECAUSE THE HITS FROM BEHIND AND STICK WORK WILL ONLY INCREASE.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
IF YOU TAKE FIGHTNG OUT OF THE GAME THAN YOU BETTER ELIMINATE CHECKING, PAD THE BOARDS AND STOCK UP ON STITCHES AND SUTURES BECAUSE THE HITS FROM BEHIND AND STICK WORK WILL ONLY INCREASE.
Agreed, if you have ever played, you know that in leagues where fighting is an automatic suspension, dirty play like slew-foot, knife-edges and other nasty stuff is more prevalent.

When I was playing it was nice to know that if someone took liberties with me I had a goon (OK several goons) who would take care of the problem.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

also, you pulled the nashville number out of somewhere.

they averaged less than 14,000 both of the last season, hence why they're loosing their lease. if you'd followed their situation at all, you'd know this.

the pens last game not to sell out was in febuary vs the Preds. i was there. the reason it didn't sell out, was the high that day was -10, and at game time it was -20 outside. it was a great game, and i had sick seats with the student rush deal because of this. only bad thing about the game was it was so cold, my oil pump ended up blowing up on I79 on the way back.

next season is completely sold out. 13,500 season tickets sold, 800+ on the waiting list who get first shot at individual game tickets, and when they go on sell they expect all the regual season games to sell out in about 30 mins.