Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   HOCKEY (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/hockey/)
-   -   05/06 UD Rookie Update ????? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/hockey/206-05-06-ud-rookie-update.html)

ebaycatdogoo 08-02-2007 09:39 PM

05/06 UD Rookie Update ?????

I know everyone has probably read the market report with this product listed in it. 05/06 ud rookie update. 12 box case for $450 which is $37.50 a box. I didn't open any of this stuff but what POSSIBLY might it move up to in the future. I am not thinking of busting but holding on too. Just wanted to get in on a cheaper investment. Might possibly do 2 cases. Can it move to $70-80 a box or more??? Also, I read someone say if has redemptions in it. When do they expire?? Thanks for your help.

ebaycatdogoo
[email]ryanmanley@hotmail.com[/email]

Rabbit 08-02-2007 09:54 PM

That set is different than most 05-06 sets. Most everything 05-06 is pretty easy to read. The high-end stuff is going to continue to increase. The low-end stuff is going to increase, but the ceiling is not as high.

That product, though, is very unpopular with collectors. The majority of the rookies from the actual Rookie Update base set are dual jerseys, and they share their card with veteran NHL players. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's not, but most of the time it's just crap.

The top names are autographs, and they share their cards with veterans, but the biggest name RCs are extremely short printed. So while the Crosby goes for a lot, they are insanely difficult to pull.

The updated RCs from the other sets are nice, but they feature pikers. If one of them hits, and that's their only RC, then you could be looking at a very hot product. But without looking closely at the checklist, I can say for certain that most of the guys I have seen in that set are not going to hit.

allhockey 08-02-2007 10:07 PM

I was lucky enough to pull the Phaneuf/Pronger SP on a half case buy from Chris- just placed the redemption in the system with Sucker Deck this week- the redemptions postmarked by May 30,2008 recvd by June 13,2008..........

frozenntimesports 08-02-2007 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=Rabbit;1023]
The updated RCs from the other sets are nice, but they feature pikers. If one of them hits, and that's their only RC, then you could be looking at a very hot product. But without looking closely at the checklist, I can say for certain that most of the guys I have seen in that set are not going to hit.[/QUOTE]

There are a couple of very good prospects in there, but they play in places like Florida or Phoenix. If Rob Globke ever winds up in a big market, look out. It was $80 a box at release, which was ridiculous, but at its current price (somewhere around $40 a box), you get 13 rookies, an autograph and three game used, so its not that bad a deal.

iluvfish2 08-02-2007 10:29 PM

kd

Any idea how many boxes (or cases) it would take to put together the different rookie update sets for each set (there was rookie update, sp, spx, ice?, and one more? Just wondering if that would be an avenue to work if one were to break some of this. I really liked the product (lord knows most of what I broke of it was easily at the 80 bucks or higher). I've been watching this stuff too, and since I do international sales, hockey alway seemed to sell on the bay well for me.

sidelinecards 08-02-2007 11:12 PM

[QUOTE=allhockey;1026]I was lucky enough to pull the Phaneuf/Pronger SP on a half case buy from Chris- just placed the redemption in the system with Sucker Deck this week- the redemptions postmarked by May 30,2008 recvd by June 13,2008..........[/QUOTE] I pulled the same card in 05/06 when this came out. I have had the redemption in there and as of today it says autographs in house expect some delay for cards to be produced, And that has said that for 4 months. This is a long wait!

allhockey 08-03-2007 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=sidelinecards;1042]I pulled the same card in 05/06 when this came out. I have had the redemption in there and as of today it says autographs in house expect some delay for cards to be produced, And that has said that for 4 months. This is a long wait![/QUOTE]

I saw the same thing when I posted my number-heck I dont sweat in anymore in dealing with these clowns from UD and their god awful customer service. I pray every week us hockey guys will get another licensee so we can stop buying UD products. Believe me I try very hard to squeeze what I can out of ITG and their great products and top notch service. Not being "officially licensed cards" really hurts them in the grand scheme of things and that quite frankly is a crying shame.

iluvfish2 08-03-2007 04:41 PM

Bought a box today to run some numbers. Heres what I got: 3 Rookie Updates (/1999), 4 Black Diamond RCs, 1 SP Game Used (/999), 1 SPX (/999), 2 Triologys (/999), and 2 Artifacts (/750). Also pulled one SPX Auto RC (/1999) and one dual GU'd (/999).

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1727/rcautoanddualgudl4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Based on these numbers heres what I figured I'd need to do complete sets of the rookies (assuming perfect collation so when reality sets in you'd probably need double this amount):

Rookie Update (59 cards) @ 3:box you'd need 20 boxes
Black Diamonds (84 cards) @ 4:box thats 21 boxes
SPX and SP Game Used (50 Cards) @ 1:box thats 50 boxes
Trioligy and Artifacts (100 cards) @ 2:box thats 50 boxes

Figure 50 boxes min, double that to 100 boxes and your looking at 8.3 cases